3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kauai- Take 2  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kauai- Take 2
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Great story and pics, thanks for sharing...  :thumbsup:
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
...any pork on the coals?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Great hunt so far, looking forward to the rest!

Some great shot placement as well!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Sweet trip, we just got back from Oahu, and the pics bring back great memories
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
Ok guys, thanks for reading, I'll try to get some more pics up here.

stevemfwills-I hunted with a 60", 60# palmer double carbon, the arrows were gt 7595's with a variety of 2-blade heads

Snag, Yes I do seem to remember eating something that tasted better than goat, lol.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Wednesday morning found me glad to wake up in my hammock again, and with the necessary permit on hand I was eager to back after the goats.  I thought I had a foolproof plan for where to ambush them that morning, but long story short it didn't work out, so I continued down the trail in search of targets of opportunity.  I found them in a beautiful grassy meadow well below the trail.  I closed in as best I could, but eventually ran out of cover, so I got low behind a bush and waited.  For once the wind didn't give me away, and I managed to deliver on this billy.

not huge by any means but it had been a great little hunt and I was thrilled.

another pic
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
I've been wondering how your trip went Pirate Dan!  Excellent, arrrgggghhhh!!!!!

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »

So I loaded up the meat from y billy and headed down the trail, determined to hike through to the kalalau valley at trails end.

The place is just amazing and I could explore it for a loooong time without getting bored.  Oh and I forgot to mention, as I was waiting out that last billy I was able to watch spinner dolphins leaping just offshore, it was wild.

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
I encountered one more pair of goats on my hike in to kalalau.  It was to be my only gimme opportunity of the trip, and you guessed it I blew it.  Oh well easy come, easy go. I continued on to kalalau.

This sign is at the entrance to the Kalalau valley, and essentially says to respect the place and preserve it for future generations.  From what I understand The kalalau valley was the most densely inhabited place on kauai in historic times, home to some 5,000 people.  Their stone terraces are still very much in evidence.  Now kalalau is home to an indeterminate number of hippies.

I explored up the valleys main stream and was soon greeted by two naked young ladies.  I crossed the stream to inquire whether they'd like any goat meat, which they certainly did, so i spent the afternoon with them cooking goat meat and telling and hearing stories.  It was kind of a surreal afternoon, no pictures of that though.

As the afternoon waned I found myself eager to get back to my camp at hanakoa, after all goats were'nt the only game along the trail and I knew where I wanted to be come dusk.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Cool trip! Great pics looks like a lot of fun! Congrats!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
The pig activity seemed to be pretty low key on this trip.  Without fruit on the ground I just don't think they were doing a whole lot.  Still I'd see fresh rooting everyday, so I spent my evenings trying to find pigs.  Up to this point in the trip I'd caught just a glimpse of one racing away from me, so when this little dude fed into range the thought of holding off didn't even cross my mind.

Small as he was it still meant alot to me to get him.  I've got kind of a thing for pig hunting, probably because living in washington I don't get to do it much.  One interesting thing though, I have never killed such a tick infested critter.

I must say though, that young pig cooked up on the coals and seasoned with a home made spice blend from our garden here at home was one of the best things I've ever tasted.  Along with a big pot of rice it made a perfect meal for myself and two new friends I made on the trail.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Thank you for bringing me a long.  Very cool.   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Oh man, bow... mango... goat... pig... sweet neckid ladies... I remember Kauai. I just don't remember why I left.    :banghead:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Nice shot on the porker! Boy, I bet that did taste good. Why is it that game always taste better out in the wilds? Of course, the sea breezes probably helped!    ;)
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Nice Dan , looks like a great trip once again, we need to go down and bug Velton into a pig hunt.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
What a trip, thanks for sharing!!

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I agree juan, leaving kauai is the hardest part.

Ted, we definately need to do that, did you ever get in touch with him? I'll work on him from this end and be in touch.

So, to wrap this up, one of the guys I shared that pig with was a young hawaiin bowhunter, a couple years younger than myself.  We hunted most of the next couple days together,unsuccesfully as luck would have it, but it was great nonetheless.  Alex had been  coming to the napali coast since he was a little boy and he knew it really well.  In addition to showing me some great spots i wouldn't have found on my own he also taught me alot about the local plants and birds and the regions old polynesian lore.  Really this was one of the highlights of the trip.

I really like the light in this picture.  This was taken just after this mob of goats busted Alex and I after a long open country stalk.  So close, but sometimes all you can do is reach for the camera.  

The next day it was time to hike out and get back on the airplane.  I wasn't eager to leave but felt enriched in many ways by the experience, and I  remain thankful to have had this opportunity to experience a little bit of "real life" on the kalalau trail.

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Great story!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Thanks for sharing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©