3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Picture tour Iowa to New Brunswick  (Read 538 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Picture tour Iowa to New Brunswick
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Jim Gilmer (LITTLEBIGMAN) invited me to join him at Big Paw Outfitters in NB, Canada for a week of chasing bears with bows. Neither of us took a shot but several of the others folks (5 of 8) killed bears with wheelie things or boom sticks.

I started with a drive to Ohio to visit family for Mothers' Day and hang out for a week. Took my lodge for the extended stay. Had a young doe peek in the door one morning to see what this new thing was set up in my sister's yard.

The next Friday I headed east and slept in the truck then on through the scenic route lengthwise through MA and the Berkshire mountains. Took a break along this inviting trout stream.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Picture tour Iowa to New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Next stop outside Boston for a lay over at the Tippit ranchette. The forge was going when I pulled in. There is an incredible St J knife and several others in the works.

Jeff and Dolly treated me so well it was hard to leave the next morning, but on to the north I went. At Jeff's recommendation, I pulled off I- 95 in central Maine at the overlook for Mt Katahdin.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Big Paw is located north of Renous on 108 and the Renous River is a short walk down from the lodge. At certain times of the year, this is one of the premier Atlantic Salmon streams anywhere. Jim and I stumped down to have a look - Jim at the river.

"Here Jim, take my picture too."

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
As you can see, we were "loaded for bear" with longbows and sporty hats. I was carrying my trusty osage self bow and a special Woody Blackwell bruin slicer. One day I sat a stand that was even in my comfort range (25 feet) and took these pics.

I was sure this point had bear written all over it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
My only bear encounter came on Friday when a yearling showed up and was soon followed by his mom.

This was a tough call. The sow was dry as the cubs were from last year and soon would be run off. And the coat on the big bear was spectacular. Some of the other bears taken had been rubbing already from the early spring.

Even though the cubs were mostly mature and would soon be fending for themselves, the sow appeared to be a 3 year old who bred late and the cubs were small for their age. I had to have a talk with myself on this one and finally defer to the Great Spirit with a request for inspiration. This was my answer, "One arrow will kill 3 bears." So I did not shoot. Good thing this was decided and the bow traded for the camera before this shot was offered.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
There was the usual fine group of folks in camp. Hunters from OH, PA, AR, and Jim from MN and myself from IA. There was the outfitter Kevin and two guides plus a cook. We ate a huge breakfast and Thanksgiving dinner sized late lunch and sandwiches when we got back after dark. This seemed to work well as we had no trouble sitting stands from 4-9:30. We made some progress training the outfitter about the needs of trad archers (I think his first experience with our kind) and he really does believe we want to be low and close now.

Jim passed on a big boar the cruised his bait site the last evening. It was checking for sows and did not offer a shot or approach the bait. It did however close to less than 5 yards (on his left so no shot for a lefty).

The lobster feed on Thursday night was worth the trip in itself. How many 3/4 # off-the-boat fresh lobsters can you eat? You'll find out if you hunt with Kevin at BP.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Nice looking country up there.  Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Great pics!!   :thumbsup:   That doe pokein her head in the teepee must have been somthing to see. Very cool.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing, looks like ya had a blast.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Shaun,
It was great to have you for the stop over.  I was out to dinner with my two salmon fishing buddies last night and we decided your bear camp is within 20-30 minutes of were we fish in the fall.  In fact we have water on the Renous, Cains, and the Miramichi rivers.  I'll have to look Big Paw Outfitters up this fall.

Here's what the rivers look like in the fall. You'll have to come back to put a bend in that bamboo rod of yours. I even use a simple stick & string in the fall (11 to 15 foot Spey rods).  It has a bow shape with an Atlantic Salmon on the other end so it must be Trad Gang Traditional  :goldtooth:   Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Great pics. Love the trout stream. Thanks for sharing.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
hartimes,
Shaun can probably tell ya...but that ain't just a trout stream.  Right there is less than 5-8 miles from tidal water of the Atlantic.  Most fish are sea run in that little stream...salmon up to 40# and sea run browns are just coming in now.  Hook up a salmon there and you'll be running down stream with a rapid gleeful heart    :thumbsup:   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Doc,
Is that a Hardy Reel? Which rod is that?
Awesome fish!
Great story and pics Shaun.

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
That is some beautiful country. It would be hard to come home. Thanks for sharing.
John 3:16

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Shaun, Great pictures and what an adventure!

Thanks for sharing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Shaun I have hunted with Kevin three times, last year (fall archery only) I was using my recurve. I shot under the heart of a beautiful boar by no more than a fraction of an inch. All on video. Kevin, Joey, Gerald and I followed that bear for probably 3 hours. Blood finally just stopped. To make matters worse I would have been the first trad guy to score out of his camp. His words not mine. If you think it's a good time in the spring you have to try the fall season, It's absolutely beautiful all the colors. And hardly no bugs. My two son's,wife and I will be back this fall. I got a score to settle with one cagey old boar.
 GLENN MOYER

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
Shaun,

Based on the pics I see here, I would love to go through your photo album to look for possible burns!  I want to do some landscapes with wildlife whenever I can get my waiting list whittled down.

Sorry you didn't get to use that awesome stone point, but looks like you had a great time!

Chip
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 04:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the pics Shawn, reminds me of my time in Iowa and my travels west with Doc John & Jacob.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©