3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Jim Bows  (Read 575 times)

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Jim Bows
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Not to nit pick, but the horn overlays on that one are sheep. It is a real sweet shooter. I should know, it was my personal bow. Can't tell  you exactly why it was my favorite. I have won tournaments with others that shot equally as well. All I can say is it was special just like the next one.

thanks guys, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Well I couldn't stand it any longer after reading this thread and viewing the bow slide show several times I called Jim to order a bow yesterday.I was having a hard time picking between the Thunder Child and Buffalo bow both look great and I read good things from owners of both designs.In the end Jim was nice enough to let me order one of each Thanks Jim(LOL).I went with a 56" 51@27" Thunder Child 2 piece bow and a 58" 51@27" Buffalo Bow now the wait starts aleast its summer and getting real hot so it takes my mind off hunting and new bows alittle.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
You won't be disappointed, BigJim is a real gentleman and an asset to traditional archery!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline featherhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
The wait is well worth it. Im just glad i could talk Big Jim into selling me his personal bow i knew the moment i seen it i had to have it by far the best looking and shooting bow i have ever owned

Offline rheubach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 02:29:00 AM »
My Big Jim Buffalo bow, 62"' 49#, is, without exception, the best bow I've Ever owned or shot.  
I've been a traditional archer sine I was ten (when traditional archery was just, well, archery.) Got my first very own bow, a 32# York Cadet in 1952 (and still own it, actually!). Since then I've had multiple Bear bows: a 1953 Cub; several early Grizzly static recurves; a 1962 Polar; and five various Tamerlanes.  There was a Ben Pearson in there somewhere, too.  I've owned three fabulous Great Plains take-down recurves (68", 46# Paragon -- still my favorite recurve -- 64", 54# B Model, and a super-hot 56", 50# SR Swift.) My longbows include a new, blistering fast Border Hawk Hunter, a new Libery Contender SE (45#, 66") and the Big Jim.  (I recently sold a nice Steve Abbott l.b.)
The Buffalo is plenty fast, forgiving lay accurate for a longbow, and smooth as silk without ANY stack or hand shock.  I recently discovered, too, and very much to my surprise, that it will shoot a wide variety of arrow spines, from 35-40s to at least 50-55s without noticeable distortion in arrow flight!
Because I am 44 years old now and need to get serious about reducing my draw weight, I've decided that the smartest thing to do is get another Big Jim Buffalo Bow and stop wasting my money on other long bows.  (I was hoping that the Border, and then the Liberty would be the answer, but neither was.  Both are fine bows, but neither is nearly as versatile as my Buff.  I hope. Y next one is half as good as this one which will NEVER be for sale.
Randy

Offline rheubach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 02:37:00 AM »
Corrections: " forgiving lay" was my spellchecher's translation of "forgivingly".  Sadly, I am not 44, but as you might have surmised, 74.  Other errors probably are self-evident.

Get a Big Jim bow, if you can!  It will be well worth the wait!
Randy

Offline rheubach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Corrections: " forgiving lay" was my spellchecher's translation of "forgivingly".  Sadly, I am not 44, but as you might have surmised, 74.  Other errors probably are self-evident.

Get a Big Jim bow, if you can!  It will be well worth the wait!
Randy

Offline rheubach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
My Big Jim Buffalo bow, 62"' 49#, is, without exception, the best bow I've Ever owned or shot.  
I've been a traditional archer sine I was ten (when traditional archery was just, well, archery.) Got my first very own bow, a 32# York Cadet in 1952 (and still own it, actually!). Since then I've had multiple Bear bows: a 1953 Cub; several early Grizzly static recurves; a 1962 Polar; and five various Tamerlanes.  There was a Ben Pearson in there somewhere, too.  I've owned three fabulous Great Plains take-down recurves (68", 46# Paragon -- still my favorite recurve -- 64", 54# B Model, and a super-hot 56", 50# SR Swift.) My longbows include a new, blistering fast Border Hawk Hunter, a new Libery Contender SE (45#, 66") and the Big Jim.  (I recently sold a nice Steve Abbott l.b.)
The Buffalo is plenty fast, forgiving lay accurate for a longbow, and smooth as silk without ANY stack or hand shock.  I recently discovered, too, and very much to my surprise, that it will shoot a wide variety of arrow spines, from 35-40s to at least 50-55s without noticeable distortion in arrow flight!
Because I am 44 years old now and need to get serious about reducing my draw weight, I've decided that the smartest thing to do is get another Big Jim Buffalo Bow and stop wasting my money on other long bows.  (I was hoping that the Border, and then the Liberty would be the answer, but neither was.  Both are fine bows, but neither is nearly as versatile as my Buff.  I hope. Y next one is half as good as this one which will NEVER be for sale.
Randy

Offline popseal

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Romans 8:11 (New Testament)
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »
I just returned home from the Pre Spring Arrow Fling near Bessemer, Alabama.   Jim was there doing bow stuff.   He put a beaver tail grip piece on my Savannah (better fit for my hand).  guys were trying any number of hs products and the many used bows he carries.   Fun stuff.
popseal

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
Jim builds a great bow. I own four. One of the best people you'd ever want to meet too.  Jim is also now building 50's style recurves- and they are very, very sweet. Might want to give one of these a look before deciding.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
Jim builds a great bow. I own four. One of the best people you'd ever want to meet too.  Jim is also now building 50's style recurves- and they are very, very sweet. Might want to give one of these a look before deciding.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm a recurve guy, but am always shooting and trying longbows. I've owed 16 to date.
The one I still have and will not sell is my Big Jim Buffalo.
David M. Conroy

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
I've always said my two favorite bows is a thunder child and a tall tines.  I can't pick between them.  Jim is an awesome guy I loved my thunderchild.  Currently shooting a tall tines but don't know that I could pick a favorite.  You can't go wrong with jims bows, accessories, or service!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
That new 50's style recurve is awesome .
 Thanks Dendy for letting me shoot yours while I was at Jim's    :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
Anybody have pics of Jim's 50's style recurve?
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:
That new 50's style recurve is awesome .
 Thanks Dendy for letting me shoot yours while I was at Jim's     :thumbsup:      :goldtooth:  
HA!! I did  not realize that I had!!! I'm glad you liked it. That thing is sweet, isn't it? Are you going to be adding one to your stack??

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »
I haven't shot as many bow as most on this site but I love mine. Bought it used on the classifieds in 2011 haven't set it down much since. I'm patiently waiting on the list for a new one. Come on July!

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
Check out javaman Gregg builds one sweet sweet bow and a pretty good guy to deal with to I've had one of jims bows and it was very very nice hope to get another some day good luck with the hunt !@
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
Dendy : I asked Jim if he thought you would smell that I was touching your bow    :rolleyes:  
 I will be adding one to my collection thanks to some good friends . Thanks for letting me shoot yours , well even if you didn't know you had I appreciate it . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©