3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Catwhisker problems!!  (Read 696 times)

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Catwhisker problems!!
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I have a bow that really likes catwhiskers for silencers. The problem is that they start breaking off after only a day or two of shooing.

I have been tying 3 strips, each cut to about 1 1/2" for each bundle. I wrap them vertically around the string, and tie the off with dacron (I tie them pretty tight).

Any suggestions out there?

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Catwhisker problems!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
try using a zip tie,dacron might be pinching and cutting the strands
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I don't use them anymore, but when I did, I would split the string and slide them through, then tie them in with serving. Never had a problem with them sliding or coming out.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
If I understand your question correctly, perhaps you're tying them too tight and the dacron is cutting through them ? I use two methods. I either take about 5" and tie an overhand knot with them, or using your method, use a small nylon tie wrap to cinch them.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Thanks guys, maybe I'm tying them too tight.

Fritz, i tried your methot of putting the through the string. It seems to work, until you unstring the bow. They slip right out then.

I also bought some small tie wraps, but the ones I bought won't hol under the pressure.

I'll try another set this evening, and not crank down so hard on the Dacron.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Had a few bows that didn't like anything but rubber whiskers. I used tiny black tie wraps, laid the whiskers next to the string and cinched them up. Easier to slide up and down the string for "fine" tuning that way.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
try using serving material to tie them off, or some other thread that is a larger diameter than you are using.  I like mine tied on tight (so they make a ball)--I don't have any problems with them getting cut, as long as I don't use a tiny thread to tie them off.

You might also try wraping the thread around at least twice before tying them off.

Chad

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I use waxed serving thread and pull them as tight as I can, using several overhand knots to secure.  I burn off the serving thread when I'm finished  I never have a problem with them coming loose or failing.  I can still slide them up and down the string, but not without some effort.

Dave

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
I like the whiskers. Like others, I split the string, put the whiskers in, and then use serving thread to tie across the whiskers, top to bottom. I tie a surgeons knot first, then overhand times 5 and finish with another surgeons knot. I melt the ends of the serving. Works great.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Forgot to point out -- I tie the know before restringing the bow.This allows the knot constrict the amount of whisker in the knot.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
I tie my on as well.I never had any problems.As mentioned,a fatter thread should work.I use 80# braided fishing line.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Allen,

After you slip them through the string, get someone to stretch the whiskers as you tie them in. I never had a problem with coming out even when my bows were unstrung.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
When I used them I also put them through the string, if I was not going to keep the bow strung I would tie dental floss on both sides of my whiskers while the bow was strung and that kept them from falling out. Also I did not just split my string I wove the whiskers around several strands...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Frit is right.  Wax your string first and burnish.  Open the strands and insert the cat whiskers.  Tie them in.  Shoot a few times, trim, shoot some more and leave your bow strung for a day or so.  They will not come out.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
The recent article in TB said that the cat whiskers slow the bow down considerably.  They make a great silencer, but I had the same problem as A.S..  They either disinigrated after about a month of shooting or fell out piece by piece.  I did not install them my bowyer did.  I now use wool poof balls from bow hush.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
I've never had a problem with them properly installed, tied on around (not through) the string.  The reason for this is so you can adjust them and fine-tune--one of the main reasons I prefer rubber whiskers over most other types that are not adjustable once installed.

Never had any fly apart either--they have always lasted as long as the string for me.

As for the TB article...can't believe everything you read.  The length, weight, and positioning of ANY silencer will make a difference in how it works, and how it affects performance.  Comparing apples to apples, there will be no greater performance loss with whiskers vs. any other, and they work better than most for me.

Chad

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Allen tie them in with dental floss or dental tape.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Dacron is a bad choice for tying them in, it stretches with shooting. Use a small diameter serving or Fireline or such if you want to make the balls or just tie them on if the looks don't matter so much.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Wildschwein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I just granny knot them onto the string. Works.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Ditto - I just tie them directly onto the string with an overhand knot and trim as necessary.  The small electrical ties work well too....

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©