3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Catwhisker problems!!  (Read 697 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Catwhisker problems!!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
I tie two servings, kinda like a nock point with 1/16 space between them and lay the wiskers over the servings and then tie a serving in the middle of the two servings to flare the wiskers out away from the string.They last longer and work great.I think it's because they dont make constant contact with the string after release.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys!!

I will try tying them with serving material, or BCY's nock point thread tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try placing it through the string again, and tying it in better.

BTW,I have done a lot of testing lately comparing speed loss with different silencer materials. LBR is right, it all depends on HOW MUCH you put on your string.

I like to tune my arrows by adjusting the amount of silencer on the string. I see very little difference in speed with rubber whiskers compared to wool yarn when I have them tuned to the same arrow.....and the whiskers make this particular bow much quieter. I really like using wool yarn, but just not on this bow.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
I've owned a few longbows that shot ok (quiet)with something other than catwhiskers, but most of my recurves are quieter with catwhiskers, and I usually have to move them around on the string to find where it works best on that particular bow. I like them in a small ball, tied on, instead of tying then in an overhand knot, then trimming....either way works.
I guess I've been lucky, never had one come apart or break so far.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »
I do what Fritz said to do. I use a piece about 4", fold it in half, put it through the string and then serve above and below. After it is served into the string I cut the loop where I had folded it over with a scissor. The serving helps keep it place and prevents it from falling out of the string when the bow is unstrung. The one in the picture is over a year old and I shoot every day. There are pictures of the cat whiskers unstrung and strung.

GIL

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Mike, that is exactally how I like mine to end up. I'm going to try the nock tying thread today.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
That's the way mine look (I don't know how to post pics).

The big advantage to tying them on around the string rather than between the strands is you can adjust them this way.  I've tuned bows where moving the silencers just an inch or so up or down the string made a huge difference in noise reduction.

Chad

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
I am going to try the string slugs on my next string.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I do as LBR does.I like a ball shape and I like the strands short so you dont get a whiplash sound.Some times I use 2 small sets on a string if necessary and it adds very little weight.

Offline Enge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Wanted to quiet down my bow the other day and didn't have any cat whiskers, but had some bad bicycle tire tubes laying around.  I cut two strips 3-1/2" X 1/2" and tied them on with an overhand knot.  Really quited down the bow, are easily adjusted, and can make enough to last a lifetime.

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
So do you guys just tie an overhand knot with the cat whisker?  Stretch the excess and cut with a scissors?

George

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I just ordered them from 3R and noticed they have a install video.  They don't look like the perfect ball at the end of the video though.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
just a simple overhand knot for me. Not as pretty as some of the served ones, but I never had a problem with them coming off. If you are going to experimet check into some fishing lure supply sites like jannsnetcraft.com. They sell it  for making Jig skirting. Its cheap ($1.19 for about 5.5ft) and comes in lots of colors.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
The "trick" to getting a ball is to tie them tight and keep them fairly short.  If you wrap the line around them more than once, be sure the wraps are on top of each other, not spread apart.

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
I use dental floss , never had that problem of them breaking off.  One trick also to the getting it to look like a ball, is to pull the cat whisker out away from the string, really stretch them while you cut them with scissors

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by fedora:
So do you guys just tie an overhand knot with the cat whisker?  Stretch the excess and cut with a scissors?

George
That is what I do.  I start about 5" and trim a hair to even them.  I use 1/2 a strip or 2/3 strip for each one.  I don't find I need a full strip.  Longer does tangle some, but seems to be quieter to my ears.  I have started to get it from the fishing departments.  I get a load of color options and it is only $1.49 for 2'.  They have it in medium and fine.  I find the medium to be about the same as the cat whiskers.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
The tip about fishing skirt is awesome, thanks.  Sure beats paying 5 bucks plus shipping for a set.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I use the zip tie method where the tie goes around half the strands in the string and around the bundle of whiskers.  I thought it was kinda hokey the first time I saw it, but it works like a charm!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
I've tried three methods: tie an overhand knot -- worked but I didn't like the bulk of it. zip tie-pretty good if I use a small zip. Serving thread tie-in as above.  I think the zip and tied are equal in terms of ease and durability. I probably feel a bit more "crafty" when I tie them on though. I also like the fishing skirt idea -- I didn't even know you could buy the skirts without the jigs--now I have another reason to go back to Bass Pro! By the way, I've put a couple of Sims leaches in one of my bows, very easy and neat. It seems to work just as well as the whiskers?

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Bowwild, check out Jan's Netcraft on the net

You can buy it in bulk, and they have lots of colors to choose from.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Jann's sells them by the pound and you can mix colors.    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©