3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Compton question  (Read 229 times)

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
Compton question
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
This will be my first year going.  For the regulars, is there anything special I should be taking besides the obvious (bow and arrows)?  I'm just not sure what to expect, and don't want to bring to much or to little.  Thanks....
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Compton question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
You should bring a few extra T-bones for the grill and I will come by and eat them with you.  JK.

It is a great time. You might want to bring alot of money for all the stuff they have there to buy!
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Larry,

You didn't say whether you were camping or staying in a motel. Last year was our first trip to Comptons and we stayed in a motel over in Benton Harbor, we've got reservations at the same place and are arriving a day earlier this year.

I brought a lot more money with me last year than we needed......but then again, I didn't purchase anything that cost that much while we were there. They have the chili supper on Friday evening that is FREE......and it is a really good feed.

On Saturday last year, we got up....ate breakfast at a little local restaurant and headed for Berrien Springs. I shot three of the 3D ranges, and shot all the bows by various bowyers that I wanted to. Snacked a little for lunch and shot some more. Around 5pm they have a "trading blanket" that a bunch of people put all the stuff that they want to get rid of on and you can walk around and see what strikes your fancy. There was some really nice stuff on the blankets last year. To finish off the day they have a supper, which last year was a half a chicken and all the fixins to go with it for only $10.......I felt like a bloated toad, but man was it good.

I just bring my bows, some arrows.......and my shooting glove, along with a quiver of some sorts. The quiver makes shooting the ranges a lot more "convenient". You can pretty much do as you please........talk with people, shop till you drop, and eat like a king. It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be.

Myself, I enjoy being around "like-minded" people and shooting bows with them is just the icing on the cake.

If this is your first........I'm willing to bet that it won't be your last.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Bring some bug dope, and watch out for poison ivy if you have to hunt for arrows like I do. Bring a smile, stop and shoot every bow you want or might want to shoot, and try some of the others. Maybe a camera and notebook to jot down ideas for bows and arrows and a bag to carry your stuff. Have fun.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Thank you guys....I'm really looking forward to this.  We'll be camping in a friend's backyard.  I'm not sure if I get the goat pen or the chicken coop....   :D

And I'm glad I don't get poison ivy, cause I'll sure be searching for some arrows.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Cash... bring lots of cash!  :goldtooth:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Your gonna have good time , whether you bring the right stuff or not. It's a great gathering, with neat stuff happening all day!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Last year was my first, and for sure it won't be my last.  Looking forward to it this year! Like others have said - bring $$$  - and a shopping list.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Is there an entrance fee to the shoot, and what about camping prices there?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
I think it is around $25.00 - $30.00 for adult for the whole weekend, includes camping.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
Bug repellant for the evening.A water bottle.Maybe a small towel if its hot to wipe the sweat off your face.A few different spined arrows for testing different bows and different poundages.A fanny pack to carry your gear in or for stuff you purchase.

they have a trade blanket on Sat afternoon.so if you have some gear you wanna sale or trade bring it along.

Offline leftyfred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
My favorite unneccesary item is my bicycle.  If you have room, bring your wheels.  LF

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Swimmin shorts for a dip in the river.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by leftyfred:
My favorite unneccesary item is my bicycle.  If you have room, bring your wheels.  LF
This is big enough to need a bike?   :eek:

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
If you are camped at the far end, it is a pretty good walk.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Bring boots.  A huge storm came through on Friday night last year and the gound under the vendor's tents was super muddy.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Bring broadheads to trade in the American Broadhead Collectors area in the cement building.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©