3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trail-cameras  (Read 482 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
trail-cameras
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Thinking about buying a trail camera,can,t decide which one.Anybody with ideas on what kind and model??????
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: trail-cameras
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Bought my first 2 this year, after 3 or 4 years of looking & researching. I spoke to Gene & Barry Wensel & went with their suggestion of the KeepGuard cameras.
They'll take upto a 2 GIG SD card, 4MP & run on 8AA batteries, rather than the D cells that most use. They'll also last outside for upto 4 months ona set of batteries!
They're small enough to fit in your pocket, hve an IR flash, excellent picture clarity & good reaction time. If you look around on thE Bay, you can get a great deal. I believe I paid $169 each for mine & I couldn't be happier.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
Here's the first pic I got from each camera. One daytime, one night.....

"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
3Feathers I'm in the same boat . Rob do these cmeras give temp and moon phase ? Best of luck with them they do give good pics . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Another good one is the 2010 Bushnell Trophy Cam.8MP,fast trigger,long battery life,compact and uses up to 16 GB SD cards.8 AA batteries and they make steel lock boxes to fit them.I picked up two,with steel lock boxes,for $200 each and free shipping.The steel boxes ordinarily go for $32-$35.I think dimensions are app. 3.5"X5.5"X 2".The same camera,with view screen,costs $50 more but also imprints moon phase and temp.

At any rate,you want a camera with a fast trigger speed,around 1 second,long battery life and the ability to set the delay time between pictures.You can decide if you need a view finder in the camera.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Hi Fred.
No temp or moon phase on these I'm afraid, just time & date.
I think I must've read every single review on every camera going before I finally commited! It seems like they're all a bit of a compromise (Unless you're happy to strap $500 to a tree n the rain!) Either they have great battery life but slow shutters, fast shutters but no IR, or good photo quality & crap battery life! These li'l KeepGuards seem to be about the best allround. Not the fastest shutter speed, not the best IR, not the best battery life, but by far and away the best average of all 3 for under $200.
Here's what they look like....

PBS & TBT Member

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Pope and Young possum nice. I second the Keepguard trail cameras.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
I bought a couple of the Cuddebacks from Cabelas-never even looked at the manual! Just right for an old fart.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I use the same as Rob...they are by far the best I have ever used...you will also see them called the Scout Guard, Wolf Guard, and DLC Covert.

It does not really matter which of these you get as they are all the same cam.

Best of luck to ya...there are lots of good choices out there.

Chris

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Mine is called a DLC Covert I but it's the same as Robs.  Great camera
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
You said it, Rob. It comes down to deciding on the compromises you're willing to make. I gave up reading the reviews after seeing that the "ONE" wasn't out there. My son solved it when he gave me a Bushnell for Christmas. I think he picked the cheapset one!! Can't even read the directions! Maybe got another cameras directions because the one I'm looking at isn't in the included manual. Maybe I'll try one like yours.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
Does the IR flash? I am thinking about using one to watch my PU when in the hills for a few days. Wouldn't want the flash to give away position. Thanks, Mike

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Bushnell trophy cam.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by lone hunter:
Does the IR flash? I am thinking about using one to watch my PU when in the hills for a few days. Wouldn't want the flash to give away position. Thanks, Mike
It does, but it's practically invisible. It's not like a camera flash. Infra-Red is an 'invisible' light.

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Scout Guard works great. Model SG550. Takes very good pictures. About $200.00. They also make another model that lete you preview the pics right on the camera for a little more $$. I found out about it after I bought the SG550.
  Last fall, 3 of us hunted together in Calif. and the only deer we saw were the ones caught on the trail camera at night while we snoozed... 30 feet away in the cabin. At least I have those "trophies" from that hunt.

Offline mancole5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I have been using the the ScoutGaurd SG550 for a couple of years now and could not be happier! I highly recommend them!! And no one has told you that they also do video as well. Great camera...especially for the money!   :thumbsup:

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Bushnell Trophy Cam is my pick.  Same camera and "guts" as the DLCs and Scoutguards but without the programming remote.

The two best review sites I have found are:

www.chasingame.com
 www.trailcampro.com  (local guy in springfield, MO)
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Thanks Rob.  Mike

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
I use a Moultrie I40, but I know I miss some pictures with it. I have seen deer in front of it without getting pictures. I would try the Cuddieback. The Moultrie does take good pictures though. Here is a day and night picture.

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
If you are using them in cold temps the cuddiebacks are the best I have found. They are the only camera I have found that will work in sub 0 temps. The moultries I have shut down. The batteries will still be good but the camera won't function.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©