3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My New HH bow is Trash!  (Read 8042 times)

Offline Jim Parsell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My New HH bow is Trash!
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »
I haven't lost one yet but very close with U.P.S.  The card board box was broken an third down from the end, all the way around!!!  I closed my eyes and opened it..  The bow was fine..  I now us U.S.P.S.  PVC tube is best, however i have found that the triangular shipping boxes from the post office are very very strong due to their shape...  I will get 2 of them and duct tape them together for the length of bow I'm sending.  That means that you have twice as much card board for part of the bow.  I bubble wrap or foam the bow and tape the hell out of it....  It is very very strong due to  the triangular configuration..  I've never had a problem with these and use them now in place of PVC as they cost nothing....  Jim

Offline tom sawyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »
Do what I do.  I send a bow inside an osage stave.  Never had one broken in shipping.  The assembly is a little tougher is all.

That bites, John.  I was thinking USPS did better than the rest but I guess they all have their moments.
Lennie aka "Tom Thumbs"
"It is better to give than receive- especially advice."  Mark Twain

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
The worst damage I've ever had on a bow was when it was shipped in a tube.  The sharp end of the Don Brown longbow speared right through the end of the tube destroying the tip.

I use USPS Priority mail triangular long packages glued and taped together.  The bow tips are protected with leather or folded over socks.  I just shipped a Doug Duncan with a spear tip and used a complete pair of thick socks on the spear tip.  Additionally, I cut the boxes so the bow exactly fits lengthwise, the put enough bubble wrap around the riser that it is hard to get in the box.  These two processes suspends the bow so it can't be jarred up and down if dropped on its end.  The whole bow is also covered with packing paper or bubble wrap.

I've shipped a bunch of bows this way and never had a problem.  I do always insure just in case.  I also have a theory that postal employees take better care of insured mail.
Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
John that stinks, all the anticipation and then the letdown. It will work out in the end. I have another coming one of these days i hope that arrives in one piece.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
John, I really feel for you.   Your pictures were't available when I accesssed.   I wonder if you would be kind enough to send them to me direct.  I'd like to add them to the section on bow shipping on the HH Shooters web site... as a warning to always, always insure.

my direct email address is:  [email protected]

I lost a bow to the PO last year.  I was the shipper.   fortunately, I had excellent help from the recipient and between us, I eventually did collect the insurance.

My suggestion:   Pay to send an empty pvc tube to the builder, and include extra for the bow to be shipped back in it.  Those tubes are tough.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline scotti158

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
I've also had a bow trashed by the postal service. After the first month, I called every day to find out the "status" of my insurance claim. They got tired of my calls after 2 weeks and sent me a check. This is at a small town post office, a big city post office would be even worse I would guess. Don't give up, keep hassling them until you get results.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
I have shipped and received more bows than I can count, and in some cases even PVC was not enough. In one case I sent two bows to John Strunk in a PVC tube, and when it arrived at his house about 12" of one end was missing. I have also received bows with 5" or 6" of the limb sticking out the end cap. I sent a bow to JD Jones once and the entire mid section of the tube was shattered. PVC is brittle, unless we are talking about a 2" 40, but that would have to be a very straight bow.

Heavy cardboard tubes, like carpet tubes, with wadded paper at the ends has never failed to hold up.

Offline HACKSAW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
If you read Hummingbirds web site they will only use Fed Ex. They have a picture of a bow trashed by ups and UPS would not honor the insurance.
Hacksaw
" IN THE SPRING I STRUT "
 " IN THE FALL I RUT "

Offline darksidedsam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
Thats bad..

i have had things come through the post smashed to pieces before... =(
When the bowying gets tuff ....
....Do some other stuff

Like arrow making =D

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
I shipped a trial run longbow back to a bowyer from the old Wall gang several years ago.  The end of the PVC tube was run over by a forklift.  The funniest thing was that they tried to just deliver it as is.  UPS did pay the claim with no problems.

I always buy the insurance.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Dang, I that stinks,PVC container is the way to send them ...about 21.00 bucks to send a 4inch dia. pvc tube with caps by US mail...plus the cost of the pvc...mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©