3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Distance  (Read 650 times)

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Distance
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Closer the better. I agree with the others about an animal taking a step. I don't care how fast a bow it is ( even the fastest compound ) on a long shot a perfect shot could turn into a very bad shot.
bolong

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Closest kill has been 5 yds. Furthest has been 28.Better than 95% have been no further than 15 yds.Practice out to 30, but always try to get into position for 15 or in.
John 3:16

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Stiks - "It was good enough being there." That's how I felt last season with my first real bow encounter and an 8pt. Not big, but close, but didn't happen. And then not upset, but strangely pshched. Different from having the gun and no chance. This archery state of mind.
Getting close IS more fun.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
I have shot and killed deer at 30yds and have passed up shots under 10yds. It depends on how I feel at the time. Normally I feel confident at 30yds and in, but I won't shoot at a animal that is on full alert, no matter the range even if a wide open shot presents itself. For example, a couple of years ago I passed on a nice buck that circled behind me and caught a bit of my wind before presenting me with a shot at about 12yds, but then later that evening killed a walking buck at what I later paced at 32yds that was totally unalarmed.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Depends on the animal and the situation...   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
I don't think I ever consciously think of yardage when I'm hunting, or stumpshooting for that matter. Now, my internal "that's too far" meter is a little more sensitive on deer than on rabbits.

There are too many variables to speak in absolutes about this.  Wind, ambient noise, state of my quarry's alertness, the bow I'm shooting, my position, weather, and other stuff all factors in.

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
practice to 30, hunt 20 or less.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
I practice out to 40 yds but man i love those 10 yd shots on game.

When an animal is over 20 yds a lot of bad things can happen when shooting a stick bow although i am very accurate out to 25 yds.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
25 and under hunting - practice out to 40 and 45 though it is truly hit or miss out there (pun intended)

Really in the woods where I hunt you'll be rare to get a shot over 15? but if it arises I can do 25 pretty easy.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
I will field or target shoot at any distance as long as it is safe, I can shoot good enough for 20-25 yards with a clear conscience. Having said that I try for a shot at 15 yrds or under for the thrill of being that close to a game animal. I also would add that I have never been on a high dollar once in a lifetime guided hunt, that might make me want to go longer with a shot. Getting Eyeball to eyeball with a whitetail has cost me a lot of harvests, but it sure is fun.

Offline Zipperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
I'm totally confident up to 30 yards.  Practice doesn't make perfect, but it sure helps.  Shot 2 arrows at deer last year.  Got 2 kills, one at 27 yards and one at 31 yards.

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
My thoughts are , in the woods 20 yrds. looks like 30 yrds. esp when you have been shooting in an open yard, or a range.  I have found even though I can see the shot clearly, there is usually something out there in the way, like a branch that is not in my vision.  So 20 yrds. is far enough for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©