3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: never worry about getting lost on your next hunt  (Read 397 times)

Offline 18thcentman

• Trad Bowhunter
never worry about getting lost on your next hunt
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
I will be going on a traditional bow hunt in the northern tier of Pennsylvania this fall, so I purchased a Bushnell bactrack gps to assist me in the unfamiliar terrain.It is very simple to use. I like the idea of being able to hunt in an area and not worring about how I am getting back to my truck.Also, if I shoot a deer far from where I am parked, I can mark its spot and drive to it. How many of you folks use one of these devices?
Living the Dream

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: never worry about getting lost on your next hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
I use one and enjoy it, with that being said I also never put 100% faith in it either! Always carry a map and compasss!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
GPS are great but i also agree..... Map and compass..
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
A GPS is a great tool....that can let you down, bad batteries, improper input on your part, etc. I use one but always have a map and compass as back up. Study a map of where you are going to hunt and do some pre-season scouting, not only for game but to get the lay of the land. It also builds your confidence hunting a new area.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
My brother in law a tech head talked me into using one of those things on a hog hunt in the swamp.  He was marking the way points.  After dark we couldn't get out 'cause ox bows were in the way and I wasn't swimin with the snakes.  Finnally I had to get us out the old fashioned way.  So I don't have much confidence in them.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I always use a GPS when I'm hunting, but as has been said, always use good common sense so if the thing breaks, you'll be able to find your way back anyway.

One time I was hunting elk in Colorado, and stopped to rest for a while and eat a snack.  Sometime later, I realized I didn't have my shooting glove anymore, and thought I'd probably left it on a log where I took my break.  I had no idea of how to find my way back to that spot; I didn't think I would ever have to come back to that spot, so I didn't try to remember anything about it.  But I did remember that I had turned on my GPS to get a fix on where I was; how many miles from camp, etc.  Whenever you turn on a GPS, it leaves "breadcrumbs" at that spot, even if you don't mark the spot as a waypoint.  By zooming in and panning around, I was able to locate the breadcrumbs, and create a waypoint there.  Then I was able to walk back and find my shooting glove!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
It's the best thing since sliced bread,,

Offline 18thcentman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the imput. I will be carrying a compass as well as a map.
Living the Dream

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
I also use the Bushnell--much simpler to use than other kinds. 2 buttons 3 way points what could be simpler?

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Silva Ranger compass. The only way I travel.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
They are nice, I always carry one and 2 compasses as backup...can't beat a good topo map and KNOWING how to use it and a compass. Also carry a SPOT when I'm out alone....worth the money, many times over!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Roconman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
I love mine, It's made for low tech dummies like me who have trouble remembering how to use a GPS. If you want to get from point A to point B and back again this will get you there.Super simple to use. I used it a bunch the last 2 seasons and never had a problem, I think they are around 60 bucks,well worth the money.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm a map and compass fella ... Just never got round to buying one . Unless I'm going extreme remote locale hunting I'm not sure they are for me .

Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
NOTE TO SELF:  (1) Make sure your batteries are good BEFORE heading out on the hike/hunt [no matter what type of GPS you're using], and (2) before leaving your vehicle... verify that you have your compass IN  YOUR POCKET.  Personal experience has taught me these on the same day & same hike.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Being an a former soldier I always use a map and compass, make a plan for my hunt and follow it.  I always know where I am.  Having said that a GPS is one tool I always carry.  They are awesome for marking your truck, kill points, sighting points for animals, etc... you can download all that data into your computer and use it to plan future hunts.  Plus they are awesome for getting back to the truck after dark or back to your kill after dark.  I never leave to hunt without one.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »
As some stated above... If I may suggest.  Go ahead and carry the GPS, use it to enter some waypoints as you feel necessary, then put it back into your pack and learn to feel your way.

You will never learn how to do it on your own if you rely on technology all the time.  Look at today's kids.  Not one of them (OK  some can) can actually make change at the counter without the computer telling them how much is due.  

That is just one of numerous examples.  If we don't train ourselves, we lose it, or never acquire the skills.
ChuckC

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
I always bring a compass and a GPS. I never rely solely on the GPS. That being said, I think it is foolish not to have a GPS with you. If I was really hurt I'd want to be able to call in my coordinates. Let "Stumpy" brag how he got himself out with wilderness skills alone!   :D
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
gps,compass,map,and a roll of toilet paper.can't get lost.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
that presumes you have cell phone activity.  Where I have been hunting in Colorado, you can yell your coordinates to whoever wants to hear them, but sure can't call.
ChuckC

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Of course cell phone coverage can prove problematic but I usually have good handhelds in addition to the cellphone. I've actually thought of getting one of those satelite jobs but heck, in the worse case scenario I'll just HAVE to use survival skills; in fact I would only "call out the troops" were I in imminent danger, not just lost for a night kinda thing.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©