3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some tuning help please  (Read 240 times)

Offline Buck Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some tuning help please
« on: May 31, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I need some tuning help for my recurve that I bought about 3 weeks ago. I've been trying to paper tune and I keep getting a high right tear that I can't seem to get rid of. I used the arrow sizing "program" that I found here on Tradgang and I checked and rechecked it. It says I need 30 1/2 inch 2213 arrows with 125 grain points. I bought 2213's and left them full length and I'm up to 140 grain points and still can't get rid of the high right tear. I have a 49 pound bow and my draw length from nock to deepest part of the grip is 28". Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some tuning help please
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I'd say that you'd need maybe a 2016, possibly 1916.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
With out knowing your draw weight I cannot comment on which arrow would be close but if your tear is HIGH and RIGHT then the HIGH indicated that your nocking point needs to be adjusted and the right indicates that your arrow spine needs adjusting. I would work on getting the nocking point right first then the arrow spine.

Bisch

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
I couldn't get paper to ever work out for me. I went to bare shaft tunig and haven't looked back. I found it worked best for me. Here's a link to the O.L. Adcocks version of the bare shaft method.

http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm

good luck
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
May have misunderstood, but I think he says 49 lbs. at his 28" draw.

Offline Buck Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Correct. 49# at my draw.

Offline Buck Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
I've read the bowmaker.net tuning column and I did try the bareshaft method. That showed the shafts shooting in pretty much the same place (or as near as I could tell with my shooting skills) but I still get that high right "kick". I've tried moving the nocking point and it does get a bit better but still can't get it better than about 1" nock high. Is there anything else other than spine and or nock point that may account for the high right tear?

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Sometimes nock high is tough to get rid of. It can be a form issue (plucking the string will do it). I assume you are right handed since you don't say. If your bare shafts are grouping with your fletched shafts, your spine should be good. How far are you shooting? If you are too close, the arrow may still be in paradox when it hits the target or goes through the paper. I like to be 15 to 20 yards out when tuning.

One other method, the one I usually use, is to put a big wide broadhead on and see if that is hitting in the same area as the field point.

I don't know what your level of experience is, but it sounds like you need to do some form work before you worry too much about fine tuning. If I pluck the string, my shots go high right, even with perfectly tuned arrows. My advice would be to do some blank bale shooting to groove your form. Also, if you are new to traditional bows, 49# could be a bit heavy to start with, especially for form work.

Hope this helps, and welcome aboard. This is a great place to hang out and learn. It is the best site on the internet!

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
Read this and it will all make sence
 http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
-just add effort.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »
when you bare shafted the knock was high and rt of the tip is this right ? sorry i just wanna be on the right page . if yes than you are overspined for a rt hander arrow shot off of the left side of the bow . than id go up in tip weight try 190gr.the high im not as worried about i bare shafted high center and my blades  fly great.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »
oh ya and form is more impirtant than any tuneing ever will be, or even can be accomplished.  :knothead:   :banghead:i found bareshafting to be a great indicator as to how my form is .
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Rackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I'm with Davey Crockett, at 49 lbs your probably better off shooting a 2016 or possibly a 1916.
Black Widow PSAV 55@28

Offline Chinook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Jay,
I would agree with the previous couple of posts - I think you are over-spined with the 2213's.
A right tear for a right handed shooter = over-spined.
You might be over-spined enough - so the 140 grain point weight wouldn't bring it back in.  For a 2213 - you may need something heavier in a point weight - way heavier.
Looking at the Easton chart - and making the usual adjustments - you need a 2016 and keep your 140 grain points handy .......
Chinook

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©