3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Second Class?  (Read 524 times)

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
Second Class?
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
A local club has a sign out advertizing a 3-D shoot in a couple of weeks. Because the large majority of shooters are compounders, I called to tell them that we were getting some trad guys together to come and shoot their course. My reason for calling ahead was to be sure they were going to set out stakes for us. The response was, no, you know where to shoot from. Now this is true enough, but why then are their stakes for all the different compound divisions?
I'll be shooting elsewhere.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Rackman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Second Class?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Well Ken, I don't understand what type of 3D tournament they are running.  Everything 3D tournament I've ever been too, has stakes allocated for all divisions, including compound and traditional.  Some stakes were used for the same groups , such as traditional and junior boys compound.  I used to shoot alot of tournaments with compound years ago and there was always a traditonal class.  :banghead:
Black Widow PSAV 55@28

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Yeah, it takes very little time and energy to drive in another stake. I like to support clubs running 3D tournaments but I might pass on one that showed so little courtesy toward trad archers like that.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
I have shot places before that did not have stakes for Trad.  That in itself is not a big deal.  The attitude is what gripes me.
Ken Thornhill

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
This early in the year, I prefer the kiddy stakes when I don't like where the compound stakes are set.  When I get comments about it, I tell them don't worry about because I lost my pencil.  When I took my kids, when they were young it was simply more of a family event when we all shot from the same stake.  Get you buddies together, look nice and be nice, enjoy yourselves, and when the stakes are not right for you, shoot what ever stake you need to and declare that you are not keeping score.

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I dont shoot the 3-D shoots like i use to because there's not as many locally anymore, but, the ones I did shoot ALL had traditional stakes.Some of them were set up by people whom had never touched a traditional bow and thought 35-40 yards was the normal distance for us. It is surprising how many people think because you are not shooting a compound it is because "you can't afford one."

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I'm not really sure that I understand.  They said that you know where to shoot from and you said that you do.  How do you know?  Alot of times there are stakes or blocks set, and then a sign telling you which classes shoot from which block.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
A few years ago I called a local club about a 3D shoot they had coming up and got exactly the same attitude that you did. I didn't do that shoot and I never have shot at that club, even though they are close and just had the state broadhead championship this past weekend.
If they don't need me, then I don't need them.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
pdk25-
It's simple.  I can guess where I would like to shoot a particular shot, but if you read the previous threads; my problem is that if they set out stakes for compounder classes, then why not traditional stakes.
Ken Thornhill

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
That's what I wasn't understanding.  They should at least have a standardized marker or something that you can use.  That does seem like a poor attitude.  Even if they wanted to say that the trad archers should use the same markers as the youth, it would be something.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
First thing I do is void my score card. I just pay them to put holes in their targets
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
As long as you are in line with the other stakes shoot from where you want to.  That's what I do.  I haven't turned a score card in at a shoot in a number of years.  Just have fun.

Aaron

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
I never turn in a score card at a shoot. During the sign-in I tell them right off the bat to mark me as "do not score" so they aren't waiting for my card to come in.
What bothers me is a club telling a traditional archer, "we don't care about you and we will not do anything to work with your chosen style." There are enough shoots that do have traditional classes and enough clubs that make an effort to have at least one traditional only shoot during the year that I do not need to patronize a club/shoot that doesn't care.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
As many stakes set at a compound shoot why would you need another?

Stickbows shoot from the youth stake around here if you want to score.Shoot from which ever one you want to if shooting for fun.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Ken, I agree. There are a lot of shoots around here.  We can go to others that are Trad friendly.

Even though I usually dont keep score, I'm there to have  a good time and that involves not dealing with jerks.  If I encounter it while I am there I am great at dealing with it however, I will not patronize a club with that attitude just as I avoid stores with poor customer service.

It's a choice just like shooting trad.  Just our entry fees alone could have purchased a new target! Maybe a club that deserves it should get the new target.  

As you can see I prefer to promote organizations that deserve it.  If this is just one members opinion at that club, he shouldn't be in charge because business suffers, the club suffers and the heritage suffers.

Ok I'll get off the box now.  Ken, I'll be at West Winfield this weekend if you want to car pool pm me.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
At a couple of courses the owners/setters told us we could set the trad stakes (for weekly setup, not for trophy shoots).

After we did that a few times they set them comparable, no more wide open kiddie stuff.

Some courses set them pretty close and open. There my buds and I shot the compound stakes, and if the shot was still too silly, the next farthest cool, we'd shoot that one (MBR I think).

Yeah, sometimes it meant looking for a lost arrow. But when we'd lob one in, from around 45 yards, and pinwheel it.........the compound guys would just freak.......most times they'd just smile, laugh and say "that was the coolest thing ever, I could see it go up and then drop in".

Got more than one wheelie boy to give trad a try doing that  :)
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Forgot to add:

I hate a boring easy wide open course. I like it when folks have to maybe get on the ground and shoot, lean around a tree or something.

In the old days courses for compound/recurve were set that wat (around my neck of the woods anyway).
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
If it is a competitive shoot they should have trad stakes.  Our club never has trad stakes at any shoots.  They officers say that under NFAA trad guys shoot at compound distances.  I quit attending the point shoots.  The last fun shoot the president asked me why my family and I only come to half the shoots.  I told him that since the club didn't give enough of a damn to put in  realistic stakes for the trad shooters then I would shoot at clubs that did on those dates.  The club is now rethinking their stance and may be adding trad stakes to the competitive shoots.  The last Safari shoot they had us shooting at 75 - 100 yards on some targets.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Since it a separate class, why would ythey expect them to shoot the same as compound guys?  It's either Ignorance or laziness but to not even entertain the idea of trad stakes is certainly not customer service.

It's kind of like our union at work.  When I asked tehm topyull for our departmrnt at contract time, he told me to find another job, they aren't going to help us in any way.  After putting together teh material for them, tit was frusterating he didnt even say thank you, we'll see what we can do.

Customer service just stinks these days, taht's why when I receive great service people hear about it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I would shoot from where I want to and forget the score card,pay them to shoot and enjoy yourselves!! I cannot walk so I shoot a couple 3D's but I shoot from an ATV and its where I can get a decent shot for me.  :archer2:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©