3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS and Maps  (Read 1922 times)

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
GPS and Maps
« on: January 08, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
I make maps.  I want to put a coordinate system (map tics around border)on some maps for hunters to use with their GPS.

Do ya'll use GPS with a Map using Latitude and Longitude (Degree, Minutes, Seconds).

Do you use UTM Coordinates to get your position off of a map?

Maybe you ignore the coordinates and just use the navigation tools.

Sorry if this question does not make since.

Any input is appreciated.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS and Maps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Long/Lat for me.

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
To me, it is easier to use UTM for two reasons, 1) because most GIS/GPS systems are available in UTM, whereas not all are available in Lat/Long; and 2) most hunters use USGS quadsheets, which are in UTM.

JMHO

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
Yep, UTM. I take my topos and a ruler and pencil in lightly the UTM lines, then use a grid chart (aka "The Card") to find specific destinations. I only use that when I need a certain site (a new water hole, good looking shelf etc) or when I am entering coordinates into the GPS when I have not been there and need precise coordinates. Hope this helps!
Mike Davenport

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
My brother and I want to learn how to do that.  I am a map person, while he just bought a GPS because he is not.  I would like to be able to put points in his GPS so I can say "meet me here at XXX"    Wjat are UTM lines? Card??  I can read topos as far as where I am and going by features, never bothered with the numbers on the sides!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
my gps has the maps built in.  bought it for skippering a charter boat last summer, save my butt twice!!!!

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
UTM Coordinates are much easier for me because the last 3 numbers in the coordinates are in meters. So there is 1 kilometer between each "click" on the map. That's much easier to picture in my mind than a degree.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
The GPS system my brother bought has the Topos you can download right into it for overlay.  However they dod not look like regular topos.  I was disapointed.  The clearings are not white!  I was not impressed by them, as the also lack details.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
good idea.
What I have is an old 'all topo map' system; and I mark my co-ordinates into it; and then take a forest service map and put the gps waypoints on it with a pen.
 It is neat to see a spot on the map and find it; and equally cool to find a spot and then see where it is on a topo map.
 And of course; if your wanting the closest road- it is nice to have a map that has some references on it- as to gps waypoints you have in your gps.
 I use long/lat
 Good luck with this idea.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
I think that made sense   :confused:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
For all who are interested you can get a grid card from Silva (makes a pretty good compass too) in UTM. This grid card makes it easy to look at your topo map and get UTM coordinates.

On a standard 7.5 minute TOPO from USGS you have numbers in black at the top and on the sides. Those same numbers coordinate with your 2 UTM readings. Example: UTM     13S 0300820

If you look at the top of a map you would see that the top Line represents the map name (13 S) and the easting numbers at the top of the map (0300820). The bottom number (4415388) represents the northing heading and is located on the left side of the map.

Using those numbers in your GPS you can look at exactly the elevation and terrain for above said UTM grid. You can pick any place on the map, plug in your UTM grids, punch "go to", and it will take you there as the crow flys. You might want to look at your map on your hike. Your GPS could take you through rougher country than you want, but by reading the terrain on the map, you'll get there easier. Map reading is still a big part of navigation even with a GPS. Oh, by the way don't trust the compass in the unit. Use the one you should be carrying with you. The digital compass in a GPS is not accurate. I did this on my first elk hunt 7 years ago and ended up sleeping under a fir tree for the night. I became an expert with this little device after that! Here's a good read if you want to know everything about a GPS you would ever want:
GPS Made Easy by Lawrence Letham ISBN0898865921
Good luck!
Mike Davenport

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
A few years ago, I was hiking in the Wind River Mtns. in Wyoming, and had made arrangements to meet R. J. Secor, who is the author of the main guidebook to California's Sierra peaks and passes.  We knew generally where we were going to meet, but not specifically.  So when I set up a camp in that general area, I went to a point that I knew he would have to pass, and left a note for him with the long/lat GPS coordinates of my camp.  Because that was the way the GPS was set up out of the box.  He found me just fine, but then I had to listen to a lecture about how he had to change his GPS from UTM to long/lat.  The bottom line is, either way works, and can be changed at will.  But if you don't want to listen to a lecture, use UTM.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
ttt
Mike Davenport

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
So, I have 4 hunters who use UTM
and
2 hunters who use Long/Lat

Question: Having two graticules (sets of tic marks) on a map make it too confusing to read?

I am pretty sure that the USGS 7.5 Quads have two graticules.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
UTM

Offline The BushMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
UTM for me.  While I don't like to make generalized statements, just about anyone who learned land nav in the military will use the UTM system.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
UTM and if you haven't already go to  www.jdmcox.com  and download a short program that uses aerial satellite images and downloads them onto your computer (usaphotomap). From your computer you can either put a waypoint onto the aerial and move it to your gps or take one from your gps and move it to the aerial. You do the waypoint transferrs with the data cable available for your gps.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
The Garmin GPS 76 I use toggles back and forth between UTM and LL by pressing up on the rocker button. I laid a grid of points at regularly spaced intervals over the top of aerial photos of my hunting/work areas. Give each point a unique lable and upload those grod points onto your GPS unit. This reference grid helps you determine your relative position to each grid point and therefore to land features you are interested in. Make the grids a useful distance and it serves as a scale reference as well.

Offline Steven McCurry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
L&L here.  UTM would work just as well for me except we Geocache.com and it uses the L&L, so it's what we're use to.  My Garmin quickly switches back and forth as needed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©