3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Christening of the Scamp (with 2 dead hog pictures)  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Christening of the Scamp (with 2 dead hog pictures)
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
My good friend Tom Porter sent me an email a couple of weeks ago with the pictures of an unusually small camper trailer he was thinking about buying. The title of the email he sent me was "the clown camper". The camper is called a scamp and while it might not be a luxury fifth wheel, it has the potential to be a cool, bare bones rig for hunting trips.  I'll let Tom tell the story about the trailer.  

My only input on the potential purchase was to suggest that I drive down with him to Dallas. I told him we should find some hog hunting while down there.  Tom was in from the word go which is cool!

Tom is going on Bear Quest in a couple more weeks and I am in the heart of T-ball season with my boys so we both didn't have a lot of time available.  Memorial Day weekend looked like our best option. Definitely a crazy last minute trip but that’s how Tom and I roll!

I started making some calls and looking on the internet for a place we could hunt.  I wanted to go back down to see my friend Curtis Keller, but that would be another 12 hours round trip so we decided to look for something close to Dallas.  Tom had hunted near Albany, TX during the Pig Gig this last year, but they never got back with him so we ended up going to a ranch south of Tyler, TX.  I found the outfitter on Craig's list of all places.  I think Tom was disappointed because he knew Albany and this was pretty much a crap shot.

What attracted me to the place was his web site which included some discussion about Bob Lee bows and a picture of the outfitter with some recurves in the background.  I called him up and the Texas voice on the other line sounded excited and plenty friendly.  He told us to come on down and quote "We'll wear those ole stickbows out" in a classic Texas twang.  Stretch a String outfitters and James Foster was true to his word. We had a lot of fun on a last minute, spur of the moment, hog hunt. Hopefully Tom will jump in here with some pictures of his hog and trailer.

Here is a little teaser of Tom's hog.  He put a great shot on his pig and the lungs told the story.

Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Christening of the Scamp (with 2 dead hog pictures)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
Nice!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
I smell BBQ!     :campfire:     :clapper:

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
The ranch was a really neat piece of property with lots of springs and lakes along with a cool mix of oaks other hardwoods.  Despite the 95 degree heat the ranch seemed shaded and cool for the most part.

There was plenty of hog sign when we got to looking around.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Like I said the ranch is loaded with springs which were neat.  James took us around for a tour and showed us some of the cool parts of the ranch which is 3000 acres.  

Here is Tom cooling of in one of the mineral springs that looked like a little mini volcano.  The spring has a ton of iron deposits in the water so that is the orange stuff you see on the rocks.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
James Foster was a funny dude that I really enjoyed.  He was our cook, tour guide, and archery coach for the weekend.

He was an old tournament shooter back in the day and had some helpful suggestions for our shooting that he provided only after we started asking him some questions.

This video is of James telling a joke over breakfast.  He seems have a story about everything, plus a joke or funny line to go with it.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
Clothing might not be James strong suit as he went shirtless most of the trip.  He has a big scar on his abdomen that came from an infection after surgery.  He said he started lancing it himself with a broadhead after the doctor told him he would have to drive 40 miles every couple of days to have the infection drained.

Here he is with Tom relaxing in the chat room which is a converted garage.  Perfect for hog camp!

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
When we first drove in James met us at the county road to guide us back to the hunting camp.  As we drove by the original homestead house he stopped and got out.  He proceded to tell us this is where we would be staying during our trip in his typical joking fashon. Our hunting camp was several miles down the road and in much better repair.

Their was a family cemetary on the ranch and I took a look to see the dates which were pretty old.  The history of places is always interesting.  

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
Tom should be along soon and I'm sure he will have some more neat pictures to share. I'll hand it off to him for a while and be back with some pictures of a hog I shot.

More in the morning or Wednesay night if the T-ball game isn't over too late!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »
My father and I hunted with Mr. Foster at his old ranch a few years back, and can attest to his hospatality and sense humor, he made the entire trip a real hoot!

Looking forward to this thread as we are thinking of heading back down to see James next year.

If you don't mind Chris, drop me a PM as I have a few questions about James' new place.

Looks like ya'll had a great time on a last minute hunt, which sometimes turn out to be the best ones. Congrats your sucess!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
Good stuff!   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
:wavey:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
Can't wait to read more   :campfire:    :coffee:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
:campfire:     :clapper:    :clapper:    :coffee:

Thank you for your part of the story.

Now with fingers doing drum rolls on the desk while waiting and waiting on Tom..lol  

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Good stuff.....way to go on the hog, Tom.  Good way to tune up for those BEARS!    :thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
I sent Tom an e-mail Monday evening to see how you guys did on your trip. I had a feeling he must be writing a story since he didn't answer me. I want to hear more, come on Tom spit it out! Congrats on a good hunt and safe trip.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
My obsession with this little clown camper came last spring when I was at a local 3D shoot. As I was standing in line waiting to pay the entry fee something caught my eye. Across an open field parked against a distant tree line set a little white egg shaped camper. “Cool” I said out loud and quickly proceeded to find the owner. It turned out the owner is a fellow Trad Gang member, Tommy Boy. With his permission I gained access to the inside to see what amenities the little camper offered. For its 13’ length (that’s from hitch to bumper) its interior seemed quite roomy. There was a table that made into a bed, a sink, heater, stove, refrigerator, cabinets, closet and a bench that doubled as another bed. It looked like the perfect hunting camper. I’d been bitten by “the bug” the Scamp bug and off and on from that day forward I kept thinking about getting one of those little campers.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, looking around on **** I found one of the little campers listed. A 1978, 13’ Scamp. It looked a little rough but hey its 32 years old. And from there the journey began.

Here are some pictures of the Scamp.

After contacting the owner and agreeing on a price I called my buddy Chris Kinslow and told him that I was headed to Dallas to pick up a camper and that got his wheels spinning about doing a hunt in Texas. From there the two of us began making phone calls and sending emails out looking for a place to hunt. The species of choice…PIGS!

On Friday night at 4:00 we were on the road headed south, but we still weren’t sure where we were going to hunt. As we were traveling down the road we were still trying to secure a place to hunt. For our hunt we had it narrowed down to three possible locations. One place was a ranch that I hunted earlier this year. The second was some Army Corp of Engineer land around Lavon Lake and the third place was a private ranch that was just starting up a hunting operation.

By 02:30 Saturday morning we had made it to or destination of Wylie, Texas but we were no closer to finding a place to hunt. Within the 08:00 hour on Saturday we were sitting in the Scamp talking with the owner and looking the camper over. Within the 09:00 hour we were on the road with the Scamp in tow, but we still didn’t have place to hunt.

Transfer of Ownership

My preferred place to hunt (at the time) didn’t pan out. Communication with the rancher went cold so we scratch that one off our list. Our second option, Lavon Lake, really didn’t appeal to either of us even though it was very close to where we were at the time. Lavon Lake’s downside was the pigs were pressured a lot and the lake’s camp grounds were filled. So that left us with the ranch with the start up hunting operation. It was a crap shoot, but we thought we would give it a try.

Stretch A String on the Tarrant Ranch is where we were headed and what a great choice we made!  http://www.stretchastring.com/  From the beginning we were made to feel at home. Our host James Foster was a riot to be around. Full of stories, off the wall comments and crazy sayings Chris and I were hooked from the beginning.

We arrived somewhere around 11:00 or 12:00 o’clock Saturday at the Tarrant Ranch.

TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Tom you're getting Charlie-itus the way you streeeeeeech these stories out. Come on we're waiting!  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Man I love that camper...the hog pic wasn't bad either. Now get on with the story!   :readit:
Mike Davenport

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Tom,

I have a '78 Scamp too! I am getting it ready right now for a Colorado trip this fall. They are neat. I added a 12 gallon water tank to mine and a 3 burner stove.

Good luck "scamping".

Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©