3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Christening of the Scamp (with 2 dead hog pictures)  (Read 4974 times)

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Christening of the Scamp (with 2 dead hog pictures)
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Nice hog, thanks for sharing, good stuff!  :thumbsup:
bolong

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Tom, Some of us don't have a job and depend on some good pics. and reading when we come in for lunch.Chris, if he is going to be so tight lipped how about giving us more info and hero pictures, after all you started this.LOL  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
Tom!

Congrats on the clown trailer!  Put some 22" spinners on that bad boy and you can take it anywhere!

Let's see the hog pictures/story.

Jeremy

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
:campfire:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Glad to see the trip was a success both with the camper and the hogs. You going to bring it to snows?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:
Tom,

I have a '78 Scamp too! I am getting it ready right now for a Colorado trip this fall. They are neat. I added a 12 gallon water tank to mine and a 3 burner stove.

Good luck "scamping".

Wayne
Cool Shoot me some pictures of it please, inside and out. I want to do some modifications to mine and I would like to see the Scamps that other people own.

Originally posted by rappstar:
Tom!

Congrats on the clown trailer!  Put some 22" spinners on that bad boy and you can take it anywhere!

Let's see the hog pictures/story.

Jeremy
:biglaugh:  

I told Chris that I need to put some hydraulic lifts on it so I can take off road.

Originally posted by BMN:
Glad to see the trip was a success both with the camper and the hogs. You going to bring it to snows?
Yeah I would like to bring it to the Snow shoot for its maiden campout.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Before we set our bags down James was trying to feed us. What an interesting character James turned out to be…I miss him already. After a quick tour of the compound James took us into the Chat Room to give us a rundown of how his operation works, show us some pictures from his game cameras and tell us some of his crazy ass stories. “First off, sign these papers” James said. Then he went on to say “Basically the forms says if you get hurt don’t call me call someone who cares.”   :scared:   and off in the distance but no hog squealing or hog sightings. Around 01:30 we called it a night.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
The next day we caught up on some much needed sleep

and awoke to another of James’ artery clogging meals. You can bet when James is cooking bacon grease or lard of some sort is going to finds its way into the meal at some point. Ben, his cooking is right up your alley.

Afterwards James thought he would help our meal settle by taking us for a break neck speed ride around the property. Look at how determined he is.

Later, after I began reviewing my pictures I found out he spent most of the time driving with his eyes closed.

As I wrote before, the property is absolutely beautiful. The pictures don't do the poperty justic.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
My first night out I was a ball of nerves sitting in a treestand let alone on the ground like Tom.  I had a creek behind me and several times I had an animal of some sort step down into the water and my heart rate was soaring.  The creek was slightly below me and I'm afraid a mild thermal effect might have brought my wind down that direction.  I reluctantly crawled out of the stand at 1:30 am.  This night hunting was a different beast all together.  I liked it!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Cool story and pics!
  :thumbsup:

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Ha Ha! My wife told me I'm a bad influence on people! Congrats on becoming a Scamp owner - and from the looks of it, it's in much better shape than mine was when I took the plunge. You will really come to appreciate it when you drive into deer camp on a slushy Nov./Dec. evening and all you have to do to set up camp is take it off the hitch.  Good Job on the hogs bro!

Also, are you taking the Scamp to Wakarusa this weekend?  We could have a Scamp jamboree.
  :laughing:
TommyBoy

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
I want a Scamp now.    :cool:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
Ha Ha! My wife told me I'm a bad influence on people! Congrats on becoming a Scamp owner - and from the looks of it, it's in much better shape than mine was when I took the plunge. You will really come to appreciate it when you drive into deer camp on a slushy Nov./Dec. evening and all you have to do to set up camp is take it off the hitch.  Good Job on the hogs bro!

Also, are you taking the Scamp to Wakarusa this weekend?  We could have a Scamp jamboree.
   :laughing:  
Thanks, Tom. I was hoping you would see this thread. It's good to know some other guys with this same kind of camper. I may have some questions when it comes to fixing some things.

I can't make the shoot this weekend. With the hog hunt last weekend and a bear hunt next weekend, I need to stay home and get some stuff done.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gatekeeper:
 I need to stay home and get some stuff done. [/QB]
Like finishing this story!! Come on Tom, spill it.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Work calls.  Will post more pics and story over lunch.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Here is something you don’t see everyday and it’s not a good sight if you’re a cattle rancher. This is a giant bone pile. James told us that Mr. Tarrant doesn’t throw anything away and this proves it.

Around 7:00 Chris and I were making our way out to our hunting spots. My spot is called the dirt pile. There’s a giant dirt pile about an 1/8th of a mile form where I hunted.

For this hunt I was hunting from the ground again. I like the adrenaline rush that hunting from the ground at night gives me. Chris was hunting a few hundred yards to my southeast.

I cleared out two places near the feeder to hunt from. One place was nestled in a little pocket of cedar trees and would have put me 5 yards from the feeder. The place was a natural blind and it would have given me plenty of foreground cover and background cover. It was a perfect little sniper’s nest, but I thought it was going to put me too close to the feeder. After the previous nights experience I figured I needed more distance from the feeder, besides all the trees in the little stand of trees had been rubbed smooth by hogs. I don’t want to be that close to a hog.

The spot I decided on was 10 yards southeast of the feeder. The wind was coming from the south, southwest. I positioned myself in front of a tree and cut some cedars to create background cover. There was no foreground cover for this setup. Using a tip that James told us about, I scattered diesel soaked rags around the bait site. He said this would provide cover scent. He said he sometimes will walk around the whole bait site before settling in to hunt and spray the area down with diesel. According to James the hogs don’t mind the smell or taste of diesel’ but the deer and the raccoons don’t like it so they stay away.

For the most part all was quiet except for the occasional coyote howl or owls call that broke the silence. So there I set watching the light fade until the details of the timber around me vanished. Like the previous night I positioned my head lamp to point where I aimed the bow and the wait began.

The 9:00 o’clock hour rolls by and the 10:00 hour begins to tick away. Occasional I would hear leaves rustle within the vicinity which would put me on alert and I would scan the area with my eyes to see if I could pick out a moving form….nothing only several false alarms.

Then around 10:15 as if hit by a jolt of electricity all of my senses were shocked to attention! From the northwest all hell had broken loose! No warnings nothing leading up to the noise just the sudden eruption of animals running through the timber. PIGS It sounded like there were a hundred of them coming and they were coming fast. The closer they got to the feeder the faster they ran and the faster they ran the more fighting they did and the fighting brought on the squealing. It was absolutely hair raising for me! The squealing made them sound like huge demons from hell coming to get me. In a matter of seconds they were there. It was absolute chaos. My mind was trying sort out how many pigs were there and where they were all at. I could hear and see some of them in front, but there were also pigs to my right and to my left. The only place there weren’t any pigs was behind me.

Following James’ advice I began to shine the light on the pigs gradually. He told us not to shine the light on them abruptly. So with my fingers over the light I gradually let the light peek through until the full beam of light was shining on the pigs. I could see six pigs at that moment but I could also hear other pigs that were hidden by brush. All the pigs looked to be about the same size in the 80 – 100 pound range.

Seven yards in front of me were three pigs two red pigs and on black pig. I was delighted to see the red pigs because that is the color pig I really wanted. To my left a problem was beginning to unfold. One of the pigs was beginning to get down wind of me and starting to growl. I cupped my hand over the light and then shined it in its direction. The pig to my left was standing facing me and growling. Everyone should experience that at least once in their life. I’ve heard pigs make this sound before and usually and alarm grunt follows the growl and pigs will scatter, so I knew my time was very limited.

I turned the light back to the three pigs seven yards away and started focusing on the red pigs waiting for a quartering away shot. The little buggareds were jostling around like ants. Three times I brought my bow back to full draw only to let down when the pig moved or one of the other pigs stepped in the way. And then it happened. Two of the pigs separated leaving one of the red pigs standing alone and I channeled all of my attention on him. With the gray pig to my left continuing to growl I did my best to shut it out and ready myself for a shot. The red pig hurriedly fed in front of me. Feeding this way and that way and then he finally turned giving me a quartering away angle. With that I focused my attention to a spot tight behind his shoulder, drew the 56” pronghorn to full draw, anchored and released the string sending the 31.5”, 650 grain, woodsman tipped arrow flying towards the mark.

In a micro second mayhem erupted! The hit pig let out an ear piercing squeal and vanished into the dark and the rest of the pigs scattered in all directions. With the pig continuing to squeal I tried to tracked the hog’s movement with my ears but that can get a little difficult when multiple pigs are squealing at the same time. When he vanished into the darkness he ran to my right behind the clump of cedars that I was going to use as a blind and then suddenly, to my surprise, a pig springs out of those same cedars hell bent for leather and head straight for me! In a flash the pig passed by me only six feet away. WOW EXCITING! The pig makes and arc and disappears in the dark. My mind is racing…”was that the pig I shot? It was red…but there wasn’t an arrow sticking out of its side!” The pig that ran by me circled to the northwest and I hear it rustle in the leaves followed by a gurgle sound and then all was quiet again. “Yep” I think to myself “that must have been the pig.”

Afterwards I set down to let the adrenaline rush wear off before my legs gave out. With shaky hands I text Chris to let him know that I shot and to tell him to watch for hogs that might be coming his way. Ten minutes later I took up the trail and sure enough the pig I shot almost ran me over.

The arrow entered a couple on inches behind the right shoulder and exited behind the left front leg. The shot took out one lung and cut the artery off the heart and he died 20 yards from where I sat. He weighed 90# and best of all I got my red pig!

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Way to go! Perfect eating size too! I had heard of Stretch a String and that James really knew how to shoot. Sounds like a great time.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Cool story and pics!

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
When I got Tom's text message I broke out in a great big smile.  We have gone out of state for several hunts together but haven't had a lot of luck punching our tags.  I was thrilled for him!  I couldn't wait to get over and see his pig but it seemed too early to get out of the stand.  After another couple of hours of uneventful sitting I headed his direction.  Tom was all smiles when I got there and a lot of back slapping and high fives followed.  After taking some pictures we headed for the camp and got him strung up on the skinning hoist.

When you wear a hat like Tom and you just killed a pig, you feel like Josey Wales!  So you don't use one of those silly butt out tools!

You just grab your Damascus blade knife and start hacking!

I sure as heck wasn't going to get in his way!

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Even though it was 2:30 AM, I was feeling great as I sat down and had a soda while Tom finished up his hog.  I hadn't filled my tag but I still had a lot of fun hunting at night and I was tickled that Tom connected.  The longer I sat there I realized I wasn't even really tired.  
James had told us that their were two peaks of activity for the hogs at night.  Around 10:30 and then again near daybreak. Up until that point I hadn't even thought about heading back out.  All of a sudden it was like "hey I don't have to quit now!”

I loaded back up my bow and jumped in the ATV and head back down to where I was the first night with every intention of hunting out of a stand.  I left the ATV at the top of the hill and walked in from there.  After I got in about 200 yards I heard a loud pig squeal with some grunting that was CLOSE!            :scared:          

I must admit my first reaction to being on the ground with a pig that was close and sounded pist wasn't brave!  

My first thought was "Where in the hell is the closest tree I can skinny up before this beast kills me"!

After taking two steps towards the closest tree my fairly feeble reasoning skills at 3 AM posed a different thought.  "Hey what about actually using your bow, you dummy"!

What followed was surreal. Hunting on the ground in the dark was like being a complete rookie again.  You know, like how you felt when you killed your first deer.  Your thoughts are minimal and like flashbulbs.  Hog.... hog close... try to kill hog.

I got my light on one without much response but he was headed directly away from me.  I turned to the sound of another group that was close and saw more eyes staring back at me.  

Talk about a weird feeling.  It’s like looking at a little gremlin.  A huge rush.

Their was two hogs in front of me at about 15 yards and one turned broadside.  Never mind I had told myself not to take anything but a quartering away shot.  My neuronal activity at this point was minimal.  I wasn't thinking too well.  Drunk on a cocktail of adrenaline, excitement, and exhaustion.  

I drew back and took the shot which I knew right a way was too far back. Back on a broadside pig isn't a good shot. I stood their breathing hard as the pig went squealing away.  After a few minutes I realized that the rest of the group was still milling around.  The verbalizations were still happening, albeit a little bit less.  Then I heard a weird sounding squeal/grunting that had a gasping quality to it.  I've heard a pig die before and while it wasn't the death moan I had heard then it sure sounded like the pig was in trouble.  I pinpointed the spot in my brain and laid out my safety strap on the ground with the end pointing in the direction where I heard the sound.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©