3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Christening of the Scamp (with 2 dead hog pictures)  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Christening of the Scamp (with 2 dead hog pictures)
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
More later.  Got to get back to work  :)
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Congrats Tom and great story telling!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Thanks Chris & Tom for sharing. Sounds like you had a great time!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
:clapper:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
I heard three different episodes of that same guttural sound that sure sounded like a pig that was suffocating.  However, I don’t consider myself an expert at hog verbalizations and with all the chatter that was going on I couldn’t be sure.  The fact that I didn’t feel great about the shot location made me want to back off.  
The trouble was that when I backed off,  I continued to hear pigs and temptation got the better of me.  While I already had a pig on the ground,  I could shoot two during my weekend stay at Stretch a String.  So I decided to follow the group of hogs that had now moved off to the south.  In hopes of not spooking the first pig I had shot, I decided to circle around and head them off in an open meadow area that was not far.  By the time I got around and crossed the creek the hogs were already there.  At this point I wasn’t being too careful with my light.  It didn’t seem to have any affect on the hogs.  I saw the first of this group heading down an old dry creek bed.  It was quartering away so hard at 20 yards I didn’t want to risk a shot.  The hogs were close but I needed to get even closer.  In a move that would make the average deer bowhunter cringe,  I dove down into the creek back as the pigs were now filtering up the hillside that connected to the creek.  They were making so much noise they didn’t even notice.  I got my light up on an opening and saw black bodies moving.  A shot was there for a second and then gone before I could draw.  After a few more seconds another pig materialized in my opening and I took my time and told myself to get on that front leg and come right up into the shoulder.  I got to full draw and held for a second and punched him hard.  It looked a touch higher than I had hoped but I felt great about this shot compared to my first. It was in the boiler room.   He squealed and circled up and to my left and ran back down into the creek bed from where I had originally encountered them.  He looked like he was hit hard and I quickly went to where he had crossed the creek bed and saw blood on the ground.  
Wow!  After sitting in a stand for two nights with not so much as a pig sighting I had just taken two shots at pigs within an hour of leaving Tom.  

I was a mess mentally. It was 4:30 AM at this point and the rush of adrenaline made patience seem impossible.  I crossed the creek looking for more sign but within a minute realized it was fairly sparse.  I made myself stop and after several minutes of standing in the dark I decided to get out of the area and move away from where the pig had exited the scene.  I went back towards the location of my first shot opportunity and sat down.  The moon light was lighting up the valley and I got a good visual from this angle of the general vicinity of where I thought I heard my first hog go down.  I went back to where the shot had occurred and found neither my arrow nor any blood.  Crap!
I probably should have just backed out of the location but it was still 75 degrees out and so I didn’t want to wait too long before I looked for the pig.  I took a heading off  where I had shot to where  I had heard the pig.  I started into a marshy thicket that certainly fit the profile for where an injured pig would go into a bed down.  It was a jungle and instantly I realized the challenge that was before me.  Finding a wounded pig in this mess was going to be near impossible.  I continued on along a trail that was no more wide than I was and forced me to duck under chest high branches.  Suddenly my headlamp flashed ahead and I saw eyes.  It was a pig that appeared to be lying down or at least standing still.  It was up as soon as I noticed it and moved off but not real fast.  I thought I heard it crash into something but that could have just been it moving through the thick honeysuckle and saplings.  Bad sign…really bad.  Now not only was the pig alive but I had bumped it.  I went up to where it had been and absolutely no sign.  I turned my light off for a few minutes and just stood there.  Cursing myself for not taking more time with my shot.  I was also cursing myself at this point for not taking my thermacell out of my pack that I left at the camp with Tom.  
All seemed to be lost in the hot sticky jungle of underbrush.  I was  tired, weary, and disappointed in my performance….About then I turned my head light back on and looked to my left and not six feet from me was a stone dead pig with a  big hole in its side!
I was dumbstruck!  What…a dead pig????…I had just seen my pig I thought.  And it had run off!  

Apparently that was just another hog in the area.  The luck of stumbling onto my pig in this thicket was amazing.  I looked around some and saw no real sign of blood on the ground so I’m not sure I would have been able to track it to this point if I hadn’t found it by chance.   To say I was relieved would be a major understatement.  I was thrilled and kinda felt weak in the knees.  I drug him out of the thicket and got lost a couple of times before finding my way out.  By now it was after 5 AM and starting to show some signs of daybreak.   I started to drag the pig up the trail towards the ATV and encountered more pigs.  After pausing to listen to them I continued on my way.  By the time I got to the ATV it was getting light.  Straining as if bucking a square bale up onto a wagon I pitched the hog up into the bed of the ATV.  I headed down the trail to where I shot my second hog and started looking for blood.  Nothing much showed up so I decided to head back and get this guy cooled off.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Talk about swings of emotion.  First excitement for Tom, then the melancholy feeling of being done with a hunt, then the excitement of trying again despite the illogical time frame.  Then the shear terror of encountering hogs on the ground for the first time.  Next ,the high of getting a shot, the low of knowing it wasn’t great, then the low of thinking I had jumped it, and finally the high of recovering the hog.  
As I pulled in to the camp.  James was up and standing in the front in nothing but his underwear smoking a cigarette.  
     :eek:          :scared:          :bigsmyl:  

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Tom and I went back to look for my second pig but after two hours of looking and only 200 feet of sparse sign we found my arrow which didn’t look great.  Only about 8 inches of blood on the shaft and definitely no pass through.  The pig had rolled in the dirt in a likely effort to plug the hole.  We reluctantly gave up the search.  I did go back to the area where I had found my first hog in the unlikely event that the hog I saw that ran off was actually the second hog I shot.  Tom and I looked for a while but found nothing.  

While I will never know for sure if the hog that I saw run off was my second pig, I received a call from James this Wednesday that said he saw some vultures fly up from that area.  He went to investigate and sure enough he found my second hog.  He was in that same basic area.  While it was disappointing that I didn’t recover him it was a serious jungle in there.  I got lucky finding the first one and it was probably too much to ask to find two needles in the haystack.  The funny part is I didn’t hit the first one where I wanted to but I hit the second one really solid but the recovery was opposite.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Loving this story......Congratulations!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Stretch a String Outfitter, James Foster, and the trip for the Scamp turned out to be a wonderful hog hunting adventure.  I made a new friend in James Foster and had a blast hunting at night.  

As for you Mr Porter, I sure am glad you decided to get the Scamp! Trad Gang forged our friendship and it continues to grow stronger with every hunt.  Here’s to you buddy!  I'm glad we could christening the Scamp with two dead hogs!

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Great job guys, I sure wish I could have gone with you! Maybe next time, I've always enjoyed hunting with both of you before, but I've haven't had the luck of the Scamp!  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Great story guys. Congratulation
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Great job Chris. Congrats.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
Just awesome I tell ya, just plain awesome!!!  Great story telling, grea pics, great friendships, great hunting!!

Way to go guys and thanks very much for sharing it with us!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2010, 03:32:00 AM »
Love my Scamp trailer....looks to be the same length as yours...I have had it for years.  Makes a great early season deer and elk camp and you can't beat the total weight of 850 lbs.

Mine is a bit different however as the couch in the front has a back section that pivots up and becomes a top bunk bed with the origional section as in your picture, being the bottom bunk.. this also allows for a great storage area for my equiptment and still allows a bed for my hunting partner.

I would suggest when not in use, that you jack it up... to get the weight off of the "torsion suspension system", as it will last a lot longer.

Insulation, or lack there of, causes me to switch to the motorhome for late season as the furnace and generator sure are nice.

Gene   :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2010, 05:27:00 AM »
Well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
Awesome guys!  Two of TG best story tellers together again    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Great story,I too am a loyal Scamp owner.I got it just for hunting an  big trad. shoots.Any one interested in these small trailers will find a wealth of info on  http://www.fiberglassrv.com/  They are hard to find and usually require a lot of work .Scamp is just one brand I found to be the lightest,there are a few 13' ones out there.I'll post some pics later.
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Here is proof that persistence pays. It’s not over until the fat pig squeals. Congratulations, Chris!

Trad Gang has truly been a blessing for me. As a kid I always wanted a brother and if I couldn’t have a brother I wanted a monkey. TG has brought me together with Chris and Ben and now I have both.    :laughing:  

This thread wouldn’t be complete without another shirtless picture of James.

Saying Goodbye

TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Look at all the Scamp owners! Cool! I would like to do some modifications to my Scamp and I would love to see some pictures of other Scamps and the modifications that you have done. Whether you’ve done modifications or not please email or PM me some pictures I would appreciate it.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©