3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Working with osage question???  (Read 577 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Working with osage question???
« on: May 04, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
When you are chasing a ring, and for what ever reason you have to stop at some point to be continued later, do you seal the wood with anything between times that you get to work on it?  I had started to chase a ring on a great stave, and had to stop.  That was Wednesday.  It was in my basement on the bench.  When I starte working on it today, I noticed that, no the ring that I was chasing but the one I was removing, had a crack starting in it about 3 inches from where I had stopped.  It did not go down into the ring I was chasing, but I was wondering if you "reseal" the wood and the ring you have completed when you have to stop.  And, after you finish chasing the ring, do you put something on it to seal it again while you are roughing it out?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Working with osage question???
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I resealed every time cause I'm not always able to get right back to it. It's not easy to find good staves, and to have to chase another one or two rings down would be a chore. I used Bartleys gel varnish and it worked great.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
4runr.  I have been using TueOil to finish my bows.  So after I got this ring down to where it looks really good, I just spayed a good coat of it on there to see if it will seal....I sure hope so.  By the way, the wood that I got from you, it will make a great bow.  I have debarked it and took most of the sap wood off and then sealed it good with carpenters glue so it can dry.  It is going to be my winter project for sure
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
If the wood is still relatively green, I seal it every time that I stop working it, with shellac. If the wood is well seasoned, say 1 1/2 to 2 yrs old and I am well past all sapwood, I don't bother to seal it, if I'm going to get back to scraping soon. I also leave my project bows in the garage and don't bring them inside in the low humidity until they are worked down to bow dimensions. Just my 2cents....Terry

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
I have used green osage to get a stave to one ring and rough demensions. I seal it everytime wood is removed with boiled linseed oil.

Then the stave is stored inside for several months before tillering. Some staves experience more set than if done the traditional way. But, other staves have shown no ill effects.

I have never had wood check using green or partially cured wood and linseed oil.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
I have the two staves that I have taken down to the ring, and then sealed both of them with Tru Oil.  That is the finish I use on my bows for now, so the most I have to do is a little sanding.  Both staves are showing no sign of checking, so leson learned for sure

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
if you use good dried osage it shouldnt check should it could your stave been a little green maybe
Please god let me live just more day in the woods.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Crashcastle.  I do not think the staves were green at all....they are over two years old.  And with every scrape that I step on when on the floor, it sounds just like popcorn popping.  So I am sure the wood is by no means green.  I do have some green that was cut last winter drying, but they are sealed also, and have not started on those yet,,,,because most of them are way beyond my level of compentence yet.....

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©