3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blood Tracking Dog Seminar - at Compton Rendezvous  (Read 593 times)

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Blood Tracking Dog Seminar - at Compton Rendezvous
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
I wanted to get the word out that we will be putting on a seminar focused on the use of leashed blood tracking dogs for wounded game recovery at the Compton Traditional Bowhunters Rendezvous this year.  The seminar will be on Friday afternoon (June 18) - I don't have a firm time yet, but probably early afternoon timeframe - and we're talking about using the Kid's Tent as a location as that seems to be the best place from a logistics standpoint.

I'm really happy to have convinced a good friend and very experienced breeder/trainer of European dachshunds - with experience in many aspects of hunting including live blood tracking as well as European style hunt tests (very difficult) - to share this information, and she is excited to have this opportunity to interact with the bowhunting community.  The seminar will cover lots of ground, including dog types, selection, training, use of leashed tracking dogs from a European and American perspective, what to look for/expect when tracking and maybe even a short demonstration, if possible.  I'm hoping to have an engaged audience to help direct the flow of information to get the most interactive seminar possible.

This is NOT breed specific, so bring questions, comments etc etc - about dogs you have or would like to use - we're hoping to have a local Drahthaar handler involved and possibly trackers with other breeds as well.  The speaker is not trying to sell puppies or promote her kennel - I'm not sure if she even plans a litter this year - she is doing this seminar to help spread the word about the ethical use of blood tracking dogs and to help promote the practice in the US.

I hope we have a big turnout and a very interactive seminar!

Thanks

Ryan

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blood Tracking Dog Seminar - at Compton Rendezvous
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Sounds like a great seminar Ryan, wish I could make it...   :(
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Ryan, that is a great offering! Thank you for helping to set it up! I'm sure there will be a lot of recovered animals thanks to your efforts.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
That's interesting! Unfortunately many states do not allow dogs for this matter during hunting seasons!

ElkNut1

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Elknut - you are right - it is currently legal in around 30 states and not legal in the remainder.  Mainly illegal in the western and mountain states.  Throughout the east and midwest leashed tracking dogs are permitted, with varying regulations, in most of the states.

There are several legislative issues currently under review and there may be some movement in the near future to enable tracking in more states.

Ryan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
See you there. THANK YOU, This is timely for me.
Chuck
If you need any help let me know.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
Ryan, yes Idaho is one of those states! (grin) Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea & should be implemented on wounded critters. I'm sure the Seminar will be very informative, good luck to & your friend with it!

ElkNut1

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Dang it Ryan, wish I could be there becuase I know it will be SUPER!  I am on family vacation from 6/12 - 6/20.  Wish I could be there and bring Chowder.  Here he is in April when I picked him up from Sian...

"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
I'd sure love to sit in on this one if I can - just not sure I'll be able to get away from the booth that much.  Sounds like a great seminar!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat Whip.

I may bring Tanner along and have my daughter sit the booth while I take him to the seminar.

Ryan, any chance this could be video taped for those of us who may not be able to make the seminar?
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I would like to sit in on that one too.

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I cant make it but would love to make it but am not coming to Compton. I like the video idea if it can be done and is not to much trouble. I have a lab husky mix that I have been training him to blood track. Tyler
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan. My daughter has a wirehaired Dachsund that they have trained to track. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Wish I could make it as well. Hoping to hit some of the seminars closer to home this year or next.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Very interesting. Curious to hear more.

Thanks for offering.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Knowing Ryan, this is going to be first class.  I am looking forward to learning a lot--I don;t have to work in any booth   :D  .  

I wonder how my Chesapeake would do?

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
I don't know about "first class" - maybe you mean should be in "first grade"?....The speaker is first class - I just try to hang around smart people and hope something rubs off. And as far as the Chessie goes - sounds like SteveO will be in need of a new pair of skis soon - when his big brown dog locks onto a scentline and takes him for a trip through the woods!

As far as you guys that can't make it, I'll see what we can do about getting something together to share.  If nothing else, stop by Saturday - I'll be around for sure, and the speaker will likely be around part of the day.  Look for the folks being towed around by weiner dogs.

Ryan

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
Oh yeah, and Barry, I see the family resemblance in Chowder - the Qua-Linea mongo nose!  Sounds like you had a GREAT intro to the field trial crowd....

We need to cross paths sometime.

Ryan

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Any idea what time the seminar will be? I want to make sure that I see it. I use a Jack Russel for blood trailing and she's worth her weight in gold. I'd like to pick up some tips on out of season training.

Bill

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
This sounds interesting, I'll be there.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©