3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: unit 43 elk?  (Read 254 times)

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
unit 43 elk?
« on: June 03, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
any info on unit 43 colo elk? Never been elk hunting before, this is my first elk hunt.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: unit 43 elk?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
Nope. 74/75, 15, and now 12 this year. Wish I could help, but good luck. I posted a question on unit 12  a few days ago and got very little "constructive" advise/insight.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Never hunted 43 but have driven through it.  from the road it all looked real steep.  I do know a couple of guys who hunt it during rifle season and they go high - 10-11,000 ft.  That would be my advice for bow also - go high. My advice is to get your maps now and start looking for where you want to hunt.  If you are not familiar with topos, a little hint.  When the lines are really close on 40 ft contours its more like a cliff.  Good luck, you are going to have a blast and will learn a ton about the mountains and elk.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Hunted 45 it's steep. Always hunted up stayed at 9200 ft.

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
I have hunted in 43 twice in the Maroon Bells wilderness area but have spent more time next door in unit 47.  As mentioned above it is typically a steep, high elevation area but the terrain and vegetation varies a great deal in this unit.  It is certainly not the easiest terrain in Colorado but with some effort it can be done.  Certain areas in 43 get a lot of hiking traffic but they stay on the trails and are not an issue.    

Feel free to send me a PM and hopefully I can get you headed in the right direction.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I guess I had better start working out a little longer.

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
yes, but hunt it before the muzzleloader season.

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
Here is a picture from unit 43.  This should provide some motivation for training.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
OH MY GOSH!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Hahahaha, That's a familiar refrain.  That's one of those places on your map where the contour lines are pretty close together.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline NancyVTAS

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Steep but that limits most , Iwill look at my maps and get back with you. I live 30 miles from there> Dick

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
The above photo is from the wilderness area which is south of Carbondale and along the east side of Route 133.  There is also a lot of national forest land on the west side of Rt 133 which is not as high of elevation or quite as steep.  

Are you planning to get packed in on horseback or hiking in from the trailhead?

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I've hunted 53, 54, 48, 551, 511, and a few others.  I have no experience in 12 or 43.  But they all test you:)

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
I am planing on hiking in and staying high as my lungs will let me. Thank you all for the information,I am looking forward to this as it is my first elk hunt.I have done a lot of studying,been working hard on conditioning,If I get a elk fine,if not fine,this a once in life time experience for me,I will not be in a rush to do any thing but enjoy. carpenter

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Carpenter,
I will send you an email with some suggestions on possible areas to check out.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Carpenter,

For the first couple of days it may not be your lungs that will be the limiting factor.  Sure, your lungs will feel like they are ready to turn inside out trying to get enough air - every 50 yards, but you may be an individual who is prone to altitude sickness.  We typically camp at about 9000 ft. for two+ weeks.  Some years I get a mild case that includes lethargy and headache for 36-48 hours.  After that I'm fine.  One of the interesting and amazing things about thin air is that you can be totally out of breath and can't walk another step - then stop for a rest and wait for 1 minute and you are totally recovered.

Good luck, once you make one trip to the mountains after elk you will be counting the days until the next time.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©