3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scentlok finally Smells !!!! Court Ruling  (Read 985 times)

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scentlok finally Smells !!!! Court Ruling
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
The experts agreed that it didn't remove 100% not that it didn't remove some.  I don't have any but I'm just cheap.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
The idea is not to have false advertising, and that was happening with the ScentBlock products. We ought to be able to believe what we are being told by people, including manufacturers and retailers. Otherwise we spend our money based on lies. I wish there were more decisions like this so manufacturers and suppliers would learn they have to tell the truth about their products. How many times have we heard in an advertisement, "We couldn't say it if it wasn't true"? I really like Cabela's and Gander Mountain, and I spend a lot of money buying things from them, but I still want to know I can depend on what they tell me. Maybe they were tricked by ScentLock; however this lawsuit has been going on for a long time, and it sounds like everyone admitted the ads weren't true. Why didn't the defendants just confess judgment and pledge to change all their ads. It isn't good enough to say that some scent was suppressed and we should have known they were lying about all scent being eliminated. I don't like someone lying to me, and I won't defend someone who does.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I've never fussed over the stuff, it's not that I didn't think it would work, it was more that it was overpriced & I have my own way of becoming scent free as possible that works great for me already.

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back........and it's a whole lot cheaper.......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
I always kinda felt bad that I didn't use this stuff....just depended on woodsmanship and the skills needed to sucessfully hunt with Trad gear.  I felt like I probably should go the extra mile and invest in this scentlock stuff... just never could pull the trigger-man that stuff was high.  Boy do I feel better!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Not to be to mean here, but to sue over false advertising on these items really seems to me to be the dumb sueing over being gullible.  Anyone with any common sense knows that your face is at least partially exposed and your breath is still escaping which means so is your scent.  Throw in that your scent is filtering thru a treated fabric material and some scent is going to escape.  Should the producer and retailer be honest in their advertising, yes they should, should you stupidly believe all their advertising?  No you shouldn't.  I remember telling the wife and a couple buddies that wasting your money on scent blocker was a joke when it came out. Two buddies bought some anyways and fairly promptly got rid of it.  It does reduce your scent signature, it does not completely remove it.  

Caveat Emptor, buyer beware! Advertising is aimed at the gullible who fail to stop and think things thru.  Kinda like a new smaller container with less of the same product for the original  price being marked as "NEW"  the only thing new is less product for the same price.  Yet so many people feel better that they got the latest "improved" product because it is new. They will even tell you how great it is and how it is more effective.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
If it works a little is it a bad thing? Does it HAVE to be absoute scent control? Does the deer REALLY know how close you are or does it make it seem your farther away? How do I explain that I have had more deer downwind of me that didn't spook when I wore my scentlok then when I didn't?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I agree with owlbait it works for me I very seldom get winded when I'm wearing it no matter how the wind is blowing. If I don't wear it I just about always get busted. LCH

Offline wulf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
If it works a little is it a bad thing? Does it HAVE to be absoute scent control? Does the deer REALLY know how close you are or does it make it seem your farther away? How do I explain that I have had more deer downwind of me that didn't spook when I wore my scentlok then when I didn't?
I would agree 100% with that. While I never believed anyone could suppress their own scent completely, it sure wouldn't hurt if the game animal thought you were 150 yards away instead of the actual 50.  It's the same thing when we smoke our clothes in a smudge-fire, or store out hunting garb in a container with some balsam boughs, you know your scent is going to mingle  but may be faint enough to not alarm game.  That being said I don't like outrageous claims or being lied to but it seems to be the norm when it comes to selling things.
Member: Compton Traditional Bowhunter

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
I agree.  I have had the same experience.  100% no way, and that is false advertising.  However, in heavily populated areas all I need is the deer to think I am at a safe distance when I am not.  I have one set and one extra jacket.  I got the set on a big after season discount and the jacket used.  The jacket smelled like a wet dog smoke a pack on it; I am sure the first owner didn't have much luck with it.  I liked my stuff because of material, pockets and so on, and would have bought them without the Sent-Loc for the price I paid.  Proper care, maintenance, and a strict regiment is what it takes.  You have to keep smelly stuff off of you, all your layers, and all your gear.  I have shot several deer down wind at under 15 yd.  I think they knew I was around, but they didn't know how close.  I have lost track of the deer that have been down wind, and I passed on them.  I have also had a deer walk past and immediately bust me with my jacked off and then put the jacket and shot another one on the same run 15 minutes later with the same wind condition.   I have had other hunters in line with me and watched deer wind them.  Then the deer has run to me and been down wind of me.  They have relaxed and settled into the area without any sign of concern on their part.  

I don't want to argue with anyone over this, but I think most people who don't think it does anything have never tried it or never used it as part of a strict scent reduction program and then thoroughly tested it to see the difference.  

I do everything possible to work the wind and so on, but when hunting small parcels with the only access being down wind of the prevailing wind direction most of the fall, I have to play every angle.  I have never hunted like I can't be smelled, but I have just had way too many run ins with down wind deer not to know it has some effect if you prepare correctly. When I have a lot of land to hunt with easy access to good stand with no wind direction or wind swirl problems, I don't bother with it because it is a pain to be as detailed as I have to be to pull off having deer down wind, but when the freezer needs filling and the conditions are less than I deal it is just another tool in the box if you know how to use it.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Downsouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Making ones self into a "victim" that was misled by Scentlock is hardly worth the few dollars one might recover in a lawsuit. Lawyers are the only ones who profit from a situation like this one. Companies like Cabela's and Gander Mountain won't get the money out of thin air to repay the poor folks who can't think for themselves and were victimized. The costs will be passed on to their loyal customers, and be seen in nice things like cutbacks in staff hours!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I don't spray down with flavored water either.  Keep clean, as sweat-free as possible, and hunt the wind.

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
I knew right away it was mostly hype and advertising.  I bought a set from the UPS driver at work.  They were "factory seconds" and the price was right.  I ate a can of Hormel Chili with beans the night before my hunt and guess what.  Didn't block the scent.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
HMM, lol . . . okay we all basically knew not to depend on the stuff.  That is certain!  I don't know about a lot of you guys, but it seems to me that the majority of you guys actually care about scent.  Call me old school, but I gave up on it about a year ago.  I either work the wind or don't and get busted.   That is just the way it is.  All this scent control crap is nice and all if you go home to a place where you can control it again.  I go back to camp and hop in a tent with a kerosene heater!  I don't have a choice, lol.  So I have become very alert towards wind direction.  And to be honest I like it better that way.  

Sure this scent lock stuff might work, but what happened when you get in a car, or walk behind one?  Stop at a gas station, chew a piece of flavored bubble gum?  Or for goodness sakes what happeneds if you fart?  You cannot create a completely scent free human hunter, it is impossible.  I think the smoke thing might actually work in some areas, but even then you still stink, you are not scent free.  

I will say one thing about scent lock!  They make some good clothing!  Maybe this will make them lower their pricing?  Because the quality of their clothing is really top notch, but the price . . .!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Nothing can block chili and beans! Always hunt downwind.
John 3:16

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by djohnson:
Nothing can block chili and beans! Always hunt downwind.
:eek:    :biglaugh:    :laughing:
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Well said owlbait!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Thanks CDR. But, I'm just a rookie and I have a lot to learn  :)
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
So if they (Scentlock) stretched the truth in advertising, does that mean that their stuff doesn't have scent reduction capabilities moreso than regular/different technology clothing?

Scent elimination is not the same as scent reduction.

If the clothing does reduce scent, what % of reduction is acceptable for the price (wouldn't that be subjective?)?

Reactivation of carbon, vs possible cleansing..........are there differences? Does it need to be fully reactivated for it to have usable characteristics? Can a dryer make the item better than it was prior to dryer usage?

What I'm getting at...........what the lawyers rattled about, what was settled, may not be fully telling of the tale.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Reactivation to like new condition, and total scent elimination= two very definitive claims.

If only proven to be brought back to 90% condition, eliminate 90% of scent.........that would make those previous statements FALSE.

That doesn't mean the stuff doesn't work. It just means it doesn't work as well as advertised.

There may be a benefit from its usage.

There may not be a benefit for some users under conditions they overly influence.

Lots of definitive claims against it on this forum.......seems as if a few folks didn't learn from how the courts/lawyers work.

Lots of power in the English language.........some folks still are calling the hanging chad deal (in FL in a prior presidential election) a rip off.

They fail to understand the meaning of "shall" and "may"  (But Kathleen Harris knew).

Eh those who messed up that deal, felt the right to argue the defintiion of "is".

A lot of lawyers would go broke if people just used the words "maybe" or "most" a bit more in making statements.

Maybe if people just reduced the number of statements they make we'd all be better off.

Alas, the best of silencing techniques is most times illegal.

;-)
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©