3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scentlok finally Smells !!!! Court Ruling  (Read 983 times)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scentlok finally Smells !!!! Court Ruling
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
I use Scent Blocker.  I don't believe it is the "Magic Bullet", I don't believe it completely absorbs your scent, I don't believe you can EVER "Forget the Wind and Just Hunt", I do believe I WILL take all the help I can get in odor control, even if it's just a little bit.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by bawana bowman:
Who would have ever guessed that the product doesn't work as advertised!!!!    :eek:  

It never ceases to amaze me how many hunters buy products because of advertising claims, or because the "Pros" on TV use them.

If I was faced with starvation, and had to choose between two hunters to feed me:

1 being a half naked native which hadn't bathed in a week.
And the other being a chubby little blond chick in scent block clothing, plastered with sponsor logos.

I'd choose the native every time. Best to go with knowledge and experience over cute and hype.
At least I know I'll eat well!
I'd take the naked chubby little blond chick. I'd probably starve, but I'd die smiling!    :D   Well, unless my chubby little wife found out.   :knothead:  

On a more serious note. It appears none of you have read the evidence (scientific) against Scentlok. I have, which is why I won't buy their stuff even if it is high quality. Most of the activated carbon settles to the bottom of the garment pretty quickly. Even when new, there are numerous spots in the fabric with no carbon. In order to stop odor, the layer of carbon would need to be 1/4" thick with no gaps or holes. Wouldn't that be comfy! Even if you had such a garment, unless it covered your mouth and nose, your scent would still escape. I wish I could recall the website that had the studies used in the suit.

I have to admit, I've tried the sprays and soaps and deodorants. I managed to go undetected by humans, but the deer didn't seem to care one way or the other.

As far a the lawsuit goes, it appears the only thing that has happened is the judge ordered them to stop making their ridiculous claims. No money was awarded. I'm okay with that.

The bottom line is there is no magic formula, just the age-old one of using the wind. Isn't that kind of what trad is all about anyway?
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
There is a point and that is it appears that the sellers lied to us.  They told us untruths in an effort to help us decide to purchase their product.  They lied.

Go to McDonald's or any other fast food place, look at the pictures and order "one of those", then try to see if it even resembles "one of those.  It won't... guaranteed.  And they get away with it.  

Why....  because we let them.  There should be more suits like this.  In the past it was called snake oil.

If I post a bow for sale here and say it is in "like new condition", you wouldn't be very happy if it arrives looking like crap.  Not a whole lot different here.
ChuckC

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
My point on this is, even if the Scent suits did what they said they do. You have to breathe, lol, an that prob. esp in me is enough bad odor for anything to smell!  Drug dogs can smell drugs even if placed in a #25 bag of coffee.  I never have even considered buying one of the suits anyway, in Ga. its always too hot during bow season to wearem.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Another way to approach this is, "BE AMERICAN AND BUY AMERICAN".

I have a relative that reps this business.  I was given a new suit and I gave it away. Never wore it and never intended to.  I wear old military BDU's while I hunt and I shoot a deer once in awhile.  Common sense when dealing with your hunting clothes will get you a deer or two.

I wash  my clothes, rinse with vinegar in the rinse cycle and hang out to dry.  Never use dryer sheets in the dryer, never where my hunting clothes except when hunting, stay away from camp fires, take a shower before going out and pack  my clothes in a plastic container when not wearing them.

Been hunting for 40 years without wearing scent hiding clothing.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
Regardless of it's effectiveness, it is sad to see so many rejoicing at another opportunity for lawyers to make money "protecting" us poor helpless dummies.

Offline bigbellybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Let's talk about the real problem. THERE ARE WAY TO MANY LAWYERS IN AMERICA !!!!!
I don't have a problem.  I can quit deer hunting anytime I want.

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I have had a scent blocker suit for years and never believed it took care of all my scent, but was just another tool in my arsenal, and i have killed many a whitetail down wind of me using it, but i also used scent free soap and kept my clothes in air tight bins.  Decided now that im going to smoke my hunting clothes been doing it for a couple years now and its way cheaper.
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
I'm not a lawyer but I've had a few friends who do this kind of work.  I certainly don't blame the legal eagles in this case.  They were simply doing the job someone hired them to do.  I applaud whoever brought this case because false advertising deserves to be exposed. I don't like being lied to; not by insurance salesmen, car salesmen, or the makers of hunting gear.  I'm going to be wary of the company that sold this stuff and anything else they make.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Good. Although I doubt it will change the minds of the believers.  I put the scientific facts about activated carbon on a couple different forums several times, got flamed so much I gave up, I guess I'm a slow learner.

If you are interested check out "activated carbon" in Wikipedia - scroll down until you see the part about reactivation - to be activated or reactivated carbon is heated at  500-900 degrees C  in the absence of oxygen to desorb the adsorbed VOC compunds.  If you're clothes dryer ever generates those temperatures I'll guarantee you're gonna have LOTS BIGGER problems than your charcoal pants!      :eek:  

Oh yeah, the whole absorbtion theory with such small amounts of activated carbon as are in the suits is bunk too...but I won't go into that.

What are my qualifications to speak about this?

BS Chemistry 1996, Ohio Northern University
MS Organic Synthetic Chemistry 1998, The Ohio State University
12 years industrial experience as a process development bench chemist.
And yes, we use decolorizing carbon all the time, so I know what I'm talking about.

That blonde chick's qualifications?
Looks good in a little T-shirt.

For the TRUE scent-lok believers...I've got some magic beans I'll trade you for a cow if you're interested!  

Ryan

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Wikipedia? Oh, that's THE Ohio State University   :bigsmyl:   Listen to what Ryan says, except his source: an experienced chemist with that background can give you all the technical knowledge you need as to whether this process should work. For some unexplained and un-Wikepedian reason, sometimes it does seem to work. I'm glad when it does. Or maybe I'm just lucky. Sometimes, I hear, my stuff don't stink!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Joey, is there a free hog hunt or call involved if this goes to 200 posts? DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Ryan,

I've seen enough small and large errors by PHDs and others in their respective fields.

You may be more qualified than some or many, in that general field, but have you fully been involved with comparable technology and application?

Now if you have, and also stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.........

:thumbsup:
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
It doesn't work.  The science behind it is shaky at best.

If you want to spend your money on Scentlok, that's your right.  Just know what you are getting into.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Thats a good one Batman   :D .  i have finally figured out the secret of post counts....now all i got to do is wait on Marty to kill it.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Slomo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
How does scentlok handle the after affects of a double bean burrito?

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Now there's some Change you can believe in.  H

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
Ryan : are their chemicals that can neutralize the odors in the charcoal? Seems like that would be route to follow rather than have a melted jacket....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
I've never seen any proof that it works 100% as advertised.

Then too....

Who here has ever been wet and sweaty in Gore Tex rain gear?

Did you guys buy Hai Karate because you liked the smell? ...or was it the advertising? Hmm?

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
I agree that the advertisment was over the top but i will still be wearing mine this fall.

I have killed way to many deer downwind of me and i for one believe it does give me a little more advantage.

Besides that i have got about $2,000 invested in that stuff.lol  :biglaugh:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©