3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Different strokes for different folks  (Read 173 times)

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
Different strokes for different folks
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Its happened awhile ago but Ive been tied up trying to buy some acreage up north here.  Anyhow I had a brand new black widow that I just didnt like the feel of or shoot particularly consistent.  Anyhow from trying different bows Ive found I like the feel of a 1 piece recurve vs a 3 piece.  So I traded my Widow PSA for a Great Plains Swift 1 piece recurve plus some cash. I am a newbie to traditional and never heard of Great Plains.  Anyhow short story long I shoot the lights out of this thing compared to the widow!  Not a bash on Black Widow but its funny how how something probably psychological as 1 piece vs 3 piece or a different bow makes you shoot better when really there isnt much of a difference.  Anyone else have an experience like this?
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Different strokes for different folks
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Look at all the bows for sale in the Classified section.  In the search for the "Holy Grail" of which bow will be THE Magic bow, we buy (and then sell or trade) many bows in that search.  In my case, i found that it all comes down to the grip.  If i can grip it consistantly, i can shoot it consistantly.  
It sounds like your search didn't take quite as long, but then your journey may have just started.
Have fun!  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
That is what is great about archery and just about everything else for that matter...there is something that works for everyone.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I just bought bow #12 in 3 years... some of the best shooters I had were a Robertson Vision Falcon (man do I miss that one!) and a Black Widow PSR III.  Currently I have a Wes Wallace Mentor on the way with great expectations.  I tend to find all the handmade custom bowyer bows shoot better for me... and yeah, I do think that IS psychological... but at least I know where I stand.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I've owned may different bows and styles. Like you, the 1 pc. just seems to fit.
 The 3 pc takedowns I've had were all excellent product in both design and workmanship but just didn't feel right for me.
 Too many others have the opposite opinion. I've concluded that it's not the bow, it's me.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
thats the "magic" of traditional archery, whwn you find the right bow it just feels right. I used to have a PSE back in the 80s that drew smooth s butter and was deadly accurate inn anybodies hads but mine the metal riser, which I assume was aluminum just felt unbalanced in my hand.I replaced it with an inexpensive Hoyt Huntmaster import, while I asved for a Martin Super Diablo. many bows have come and gone since then but I still have the Hoyt. It is my "comfort bow"  ALl I can say is it just fits. I plan on getting a Bama Bow Longbow I the near future. It has all the features I am looking for in a longbow.

By the way where are you looking In northern MI.
since moving to Georgia I have missed the bow season up there with public hunting land always nearby, and deer and turkeys in my backyard.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
I like a takedown (even though I leave mine bolted together and strung all the time).

I'm a klutz, have been known to take a good tumble now and then.

Cheaper to just replace a boogered set of limbs.

:thumbsup:
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Had a humming bird and traded foe Mohawk. Mohawk just fits me better and I like the looks a whole lot more.
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »

By the way where are you looking In northern MI.
since moving to Georgia I have missed the bow season up there with public hunting land always nearby, and deer and turkeys in my backyard. [/QB]
Clare and Gladwin counties.  Thought I had a done deal title work came back and there is no legal access to the acreage!!  Seller is acting like no legal acess shouldnt be a problem cause they used the road for ever.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
I think if you take a hard look at why you shoot the bow better it is the grip and how it fits your hand.  Mr. Penguin. I bet you will love the mentor.  I have two royals by Wes Wallace and Tricia just ordered her second one last weekend.  Wes makes a sweet bow.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
If anyone has a bow that never misses, I want one! Just like when I played ball, always tried to buy a bat that was loaded with hits, not outs.  I agree, its in your mind mostly, but if you cannot get that right grip each time, as has already been said, you cannot be accurate every shot. And I just recently shot a metal handled bow with a plunger button , flipper rest. Dang it shot great, my narrow mind I guess, never considered those bows to be traditional, I find that not to be true anymore. Shoot the bow that fits you, don't worry what people think!  Just have fun!

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
I agree you need to find bow that fits you personally. Grip bow length poungage try as many as you can to see what works for you. This is not a one size fit all sport.

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
I tend to stick to the bow I learned to shoot on.  That being an Assenheimer,  I found that I shot the bow some much before ever picking up another that I grew to fit the bow and now whenever I pick up another bow it just doesn't feel right.  Not to mention  Mr. Assenheimer makes the best bows on the market lol   ;) !!!
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
While I believe there may a lot to what Rastaman says I'm left with a real mystery.

I always thought that the grip/handle needed to be shaped just so to get the correct feel and shoot a bow at it and my best then I traded for a different style bow than I had tried before. The handle was about as plain and simple looking as I'd ever seen.
I thought that there'd be no way of being consistent with it

Well here is what I experienced with this simple grip design. Much to my surprise everytime I picked it up my hand always seemed to be in the very same place on the bow. It's was about one most consistent shooting bows I'd ever had in my hands and I guarantee you if the weight had been lower that bow would still be here.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline 18thcentman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
I feel that if I like a bow better than another, it works better for me. Sounds silly, but it works for me.
Living the Dream

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
That is what traditional archery is all about.  Having fun.  That is why there are so many different styles of bows on the market today.  Both new and used.  Shoot as many as you can and enjoy every one!!!!
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
The only thing that really makes much difference to me between bows is the amount of time I've shot them.
The longer the better every time.
I do also happen to belive my own bow is beautifull.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©