3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunting out of a popup camper?  (Read 595 times)

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowhunting out of a popup camper?
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I am considering buying a used camper to go on bow hunts this fall. I like the idea of a lightweight popup, but worry about whether I will be warm enough for December bowhunts, if it can stand up to the Oklahoma winds, and how long the tenting will hold up. I can afford a small travel trailer but would have to have one light enough to pull behind an older toyota tundra. I worry that it would be a tough pull to south dakota for antelope hunting.

Any thoughts, Ideas, points of view or experiences from you all would be appreciated.

Chris Rice
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunting out of a popup camper?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
I'll be interested in this too.  I drive by a dealer often that has some really neat looking small tent/trailers on the lot.  I've often thought that they'd be the ticket for some travelling hunts?

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
We've used popups for many years during November hunts in Northern Michigan.  A Big Buddy Mr. Heater and a good sleeping bag keep it nice and toasty.  With the heater, gas lanterns, and the stove going for dinner it gets real warm in there.  The popup is a great option for us as a travel trailer would probably not fit too well down the two-tracks through the pines to our camping area.

Offline Emerald Traditional

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
If the pop-up has a heater, temperature will not be an issue. Propane will be the bigger concern(not to scare you). I've slept in 15deg weather in shorts in a good sleeping bag with no issues. We use the heater only while in it, whether sleeping or back for lunch. Set at 63deg, a 20lb tank will last a couple days, if you're looking at heating only. Cooking will reduce that time. I added a second 20lb'er and an auto switch-over(sucks changing tanks at 2:00 a.m. freezing your yabos(spelling) off), so that a four day trip in a deep freeze is a piece of cake. They pull great, while allowing for some extra stowage of gear. Hope this helps, Jeff.   :thumbsup:

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
We own a Popup and love the convenience of camping at 3D shoots,fall coastal fishing etc.As far as warmth we line our windows,top of canvas and beneath the beds with Reflectix,a foil-faced reflective insulation.You can buy it by the roll at Lowes Hardware.Along with a portable Mr Buddy we stay quiet warm.Some Pups come with a heating system ,most don't.While summer camping we just place the Reflextix on top of the canvas to reflect the heat.This makes a HUGE difference.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
I've used one for 15 years hunting elk in Co. Beats sleeping in the tent when its 15-20 degrees outside. room is a issue depending on how many are with. I have a 8 ft.er, 3 guys and gear is quite a crowd, 10-12 would make a big difference.Bring extra propane and a good battery if the heating system is electronic, spent some cold nights because the battery went dead.You also have to make sure you rodent proof it when you put it away for the winter, them little bastards can do alot of damage, I know this for a fact.

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Guys an gals, being a fireman I have to warn ya, plz if you use any type heat in an almost sealed area, like a camper or a pop-up(in which I hunt out of one) go somewhere an buy a cheap carbon monoxide monitor, most have a smoke alarm built in also. This is really cheap insurance, just in case anything were to go wrong.  I know the Mr. Buddy heater advertizes that it is safe, an I use one, but I will NOT trust my life on it. Just my thoughts.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
My pop up's 11 years old, and is still in excellent shape,no issues with the canvas at all, as far as heat goes I use an electric space heater and it keeps it plenty toasty! I know that limits your camp sites but it's well worth the effort when it's cold to camp in a spot with some electricity!

Set ups are quick and easy, they pull well and are light weight. lots of advantages to them but wind is an issue if it's blowing more than say 30 mph it can be a little hairy in one!

Your Tundra will pull one with ease, i pull mine with my S-10 and it's easy to forget that it's even back there!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Dang! I thought I was going to see a pop-up camper all brushed in when I read the thread title.

I thought to myself this is going to be way cool to see..lol

It sounded like such a seriously good idea too!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
Dang! I thought I was going to see a pop-up camper all brushed in when I read the thread title.
That's what I was thinking!!!
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I use a small pop up when we bowhunt the rut here in Wis. during November. mine is 8yrs old and has HEATED MATTRESSES yes thats rite they are heated as long as you have electricity and we also use ceramic heaters instead of gas or propane, then you dont have to worry about carbon monoxide. it keeps us very warm and if you want it to really keep the heat in throw a tarp over the camper and stake it down, no matter how cold or windy it is you'll be in your skivvies.
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I have a 1998 Coleman Niagara, and I don'tthink I would want anything else.  Keeps me dry, and warm along with plenty of room to move around.  It's on the heavy side, butI have a 2009 Sierra to tow it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
I used an old Apache hard side for a lot of years.  Was great in the winter w/ the furnace and frig.  Kept everyone warm as toast even in Nov. here in MI.  Easy to get down the 2 tracks too.  Pulled easy and w/ a little help could be moved by hand.  The tent styles are even lighter. Can't go wrong w/ that choice I'm thinking.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
We have a problem with these lady bug looking beetles in late Fall.  The damn things crawl into every possible opening and crevace they can.  Our popup trailers are no line of defense.   :)     A couple years ago, I came back from a morning hunt to a few thousand of them inside the trailer.  

We had to take the trailer down during the day and put it back up when it cooled down in the evening or we'd be swamped with bugs.  The only way to keep them out.

That'd be about my only complaint, they just don't seal well enough to keep them and the boxelder bugs out.

Just a thought....
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Met a guy who lived in one up in Alaska.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Living in the Pacific NW rain is an issue... I have found a 13' Scamp [ actually 10' inside the trailer] all fiberglass trailer is just the ticket.... it needs no drying out before putting away after a wet hunt, only weighs 850#, has refergirator, stove, 20 gal fresh water tank,  and has plenty of room for 2 guys and gear.  Mine has bunks in front [ back of couch actually folds up to make the top bed].  This is a great place for bows and gear. The dinette is the bed I usually choose as it's a bit bigger than a bunk.. I usually use this for up to a week at a time.  I, like others here, heat it with a Mr. Buddy heater... but I use a 5 gal tank.  It seems to last forever.  I do crack both a window and the top vent a bit at night for safety's sake.  I actually scored this trailer for $500 several years ago and can't remember how many have tried to get it off of me for up to 3x or better what I gave for it... They are available with some searching      :thumbsup:      

For longer, colder trips the 26' Old Winnebago gets the call....got to love that furnace, micro-range,  generator and dvd player during late archery elk hunts.  I usually leave it set up as a camp for the entire late season.  With 5 seperate beds, there is room for all ...but does get a bit crowded if over three guys are using it for extended periods of time.  

I also have a Army Squad tent with an arctic liner, but either of campers will beat it hands down for comfort.  Plus, I don't have to dry it out when the hunt is over.. before storing it away.

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
This is what you need

I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Jerry I have been drooling over one of those for a few years now. Finding a used one must be an impossible task since I haven't seen or heard of one as yet.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Count me in the Scamp crowd
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Last few of Novembers a good friend and I have spent a week in one for the final push of bow season.  Works just fine for us, though if it's really windy/cold you'll burn through propane pretty quick - on the coldest year I think we used 140# of it.  Two years ago we somehow managed to end up burning up the bussbars to the heating control (can you guess how cold it was?) but we caught it quick.  It's since been upgraded, though we've yet to see that kind of cold again so far.  

Still a 14'er is a palace for two guys and all their gear.
Support the sport!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©