3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunting out of a popup camper?  (Read 597 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunting out of a popup camper?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Just make sure the windows are zipped down when you shoot.  If the screens are tight it should not affect your arrow flight.    :bigsmyl:
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I have been wanting a pop up for a LONG time.  I can never part with the money for a new one and don't know enough to take on any "project"

The ones I think would suit our purpose best are this Coleman:

Or this Starcraft:

If a guy had a 4 wheeler, he could take it along, or use that space for big coolers, ect.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Owned a coleman and loved it!! I must say that the propane would be your only issue. The heater really eats it up. One thing we did that cut the propane heater in half was throw big tarps over the canvass and strap it down. This really holds the heat in the camper. Doesn't look all that attractive but works well. Just a thought.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by rice:
I am considering buying a used camper to go on bow hunts this fall. I like the idea of a lightweight popup, but worry about whether I will be warm enough for December bowhunts, if it can stand up to the Oklahoma winds, and how long the tenting will hold up. I can afford a small travel trailer but would have to have one light enough to pull behind an older toyota tundra. I worry that it would be a tough pull to south dakota for antelope hunting.

Any thoughts, Ideas, points of view or experiences from you all would be appreciated.

Chris Rice
We've camped in our pop-up in very cold weather before.  It helps if you camp somewhere with electricity so that you can run a space heater (or two) in there but if not you can still make do.

You might want more insulation than just the thin mattress under you for really cold nights, but they work just fine.

That said, I'd like to sell mine.  Tents / camping hammocks are more fun.  :-D

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
My Son-in-Law went to Colorado a few years back and pulled an A-liner. Best pop up camper I have ever stayed in. I can't remember the model but it slept four. The two of us were very comfortable. He took one side and I had the other. The following year my wife and I pulled it to Yellowstone National Park and stayed in it along the way in other National Parks and had a great time. Sets up in less than 5 minutes. Has a hard top and sides. I rented it from Services on the air base I work at. Cost me less than $150 for 9 days. It pulled really easy. Hardly ever knew it was back there.

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Some of the guys that know me have heard way too much about ...  teardrop campers!
 Not much more than a bed usually, but; there are tons and tons of ideas that work for hunting and fishing rigs. Some are home built from scratch and some are utility trailer conversions.

Do a search for "tear drops and tiny travel trailers" and get ready to see more tiny, lightweight campers than you can imagine.

I'm in the process of building one - slowly but, surely...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I use one most of the season.  It's nothing special and I bought it cheap.  I use an electric heater in it.  If you are staying at a campsite that has electricity, this is the best way to go.  Stays warm, and does not cost anymore, since you already paid for the campsite.  I've stayed in mine in some really nasty weather and remained comfortable.  I also love tent camping, and have done it for years, but to be honest, when it gets cold here in Illinois in November, I like coming back after an all-day sit to a nice warm camper.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
This is something I've always thought would be fun.  I've thought about turkey season as well.  Don't have to get up so early!

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
For Mudd  Just off I-96 west of Lansing MI, there is a pop up camper in a field that is camoflaged for a blind. The ends where the beds are are not pulled out and are hanging towards the ground. If the heater works it would be a great blind. I used a 1970 Starcraft pop up for  8 years to camp with my family and a fall bow camp. The heater in the older pop ups did not require electricity, it was nice for bow camps and State Forest campgrounds. I have a 94 Rockwood now that  like for the family, but if I would have had a place to keep the old Starcraft I would have kept it for hunting.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Another Scamp owner here.

I just bought this little camper last Saturday, so I have yet to use it on a hunt. Its a little rough but a few $ and time will get her into shape. The interior is 10' x 6.5' and 71" high. I have to duck a little when I'm in it, but I think its a cool little camper. This one was made in 1978.

I've stayed in a pop-up camper in the winter and we used a heater to knock off the chill.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »

We have used this camper in the Washington rain and the mountains of Montana. In The picture we a are about 8k to 8.5k feet up.
We have a forced air heater.  I added a second battery to last the night and a generator to recharge them.
The vinyl end tops will collect condensation and drip on you if you don't use the forced air heater on cold days.  It starts raining on your face in the middle of the night.
Comfortable enough though. My wife stayed in ours in Montana and made some great dinners for elk camp.

BigArcher

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I bought my first (and only) popup camper in '01.
Got it in May and spent 28 days hunting out of it by the end of the year. I bought it used so had no choice as to heat and ac. Ac came with it but no heater. To this day I have only been in a campground with electric 3 or 4 times. In hunting season we don't have any heat it it other than to turn on the stove when we get up to take the chill off. Been in it in temperatures down to 10- 12 degrees. Not very often thank God. I personally find the ac a waste. I just had to do some roof repair and ending up taking it off and leaving it off.
The best thing is having a dry place to sit, sleep, eat, change clothes, etc.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline rightminded

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
I pulled a large sized pop up to Colorado a few years ago.  We got a heavy snow and the threat of more.  Decided to move down the hill.  Top would not come down.  It had a electric drive.  Finally found the hand drive adapter and cranked it down.  The dealer thought it was because of the weight of snow on the roof.  But could not really fix the problem.  The owner, my hunting buddy, traded for a hard side.  I think i would get a small to medium sized pull or fifth wheel to use behind a half ton pickup.

Offline Mocsin1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
I've got a 1987 model thats still in excellent shape. Just got through staying in it with my family this weekend. My Dad and I have hunted out of it ever since we have had it. Like its been said before just use a small heater and make sure to have a little ventilation. The canvas is still in excellent shape. We always make sure it is dry before we leave it down for a long period of time and always stored it in the dry when not in use. I love it. Its easy to get in to some the rough places we hunt and light enough to pull with a small truck or SUV.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »

I've got this little Sport Camp.  Designed for towing behind a motorcycle.  Behind a car or truck you don't even notice it there.  It only weighs 300 lbs.  It's 52" wide and 7' long closed.  Open it's 52" wide and 14' long.  Real nice for one person or me and the wife. All you have to do is put down the outriggers, and flip the top open. Drive 3 stakes and use the poles for the awning.  I've stayed in it in a couple pretty rough storms up in Sturgis.  It held up fine.  No heater in it.  But with the bike I never used it in the cold.

Here it is opened.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
That is a great set up Keith...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.Lots of good information here from people who have experience.Sounds like a popup might work for what I have in mind.

Chris Rice
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
In Indiana, to Hunt from a "Vehicle" You need a Handicapped Permit and License. Please, Correct Me if I am Wrong.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
shakes, he's only gonna use it for a base. not as a blind.
but, you're right on the special needs stuff.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I picked up this one last summer and although I didnt use it for hunting camp last fall I will this year for sure! It's an older one (94) the inside looks brand new and it's big, a 14' box 27' extended with a king bed on one end and a queen on the other, dinette, fridge, roof air, furnace, toilet with a built in shower pan base. The small tires will make it hard to get to some of my favorite spots, I will probably upgrade to something like Steve O posted in a couple years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©