3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: binocular question  (Read 481 times)

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
binocular question
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
I was looking to actually buy some decent binoculars instead of the Wally World $20 specials.  Started looking at different ones & could see that the issue is more difficult than I thought.  I'm looking for some guidance from you pros.  I wear glasses & that adds a layer of complexity.  I've seen some that are described as glases-adaptable or whatever.  I've always carried the very small ones but they just don't seem to cut it.  I've looked at the link on this site but when I read something about prism-type I knew I was out of my league.  I've looked at so many kinds that I'm brain-fried.  Can't afford the $1,500 kind (can anyone?  are they THAT much better?  they must dress your kill & tote it to the truck!!); more like a $300 - $350 max.  Any suggestions?  Just what are the key features to be looking for?

Thanks for any guidance,

Eddie Paulsgrove
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: binocular question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Eagle optics, vortex, leupold katmai series, all have really good binoculars in that price range that would work with eyeglasses.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Binocular search #1 click here  
   Click here for search #2
   click here for search #3
   click here for search #4  

Here are some previous threads on binoculars that will give you some more information.   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
I have a pair of Nikon Travelers 8x25 with fold down eyecups. Yes they are cheap but I looked thru 27 pairs a Gander Mountain untill I found THE ONES and since then many people have commented on how clear they are. Lesson learned!
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I've herd that the 6x32 Vortex Vipers are decent. Made in Japan not China. There about $500 though. I'd like someone's opinion that's tried them. Also, I do think that high end binos are that much better. Just don't loose them.

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Check out a website called CDNN.  I bought a pair of Leupold Goldenring 8x32 from them about 6 months ago and they are great.  Good eye relief for folks who wear glasses. They are in your price range too!!  This is a great deal.  They are relatively heavy compared to similar sized binos, but that is because they are solid glass.  Very clear and bright all the way out to the edges.  432' FOV helps too.  To top it all off they are Made in the U.S.A.  Hope this helps.

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Ras, guess I should do a search more often!! Sorry for the repeat.
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Hey Eddie, things change from previous threads so no problem.  Also, sometimes those that posted before don't see this thread so they don't post.  
Also, before you pay full price google several sites and see if they sale demos.  Cameraland in New York does and there are others.  Minox is another binocular you don't see much about.  The glass and binoculars are made in Germany, are top notch, and are reasonable in price. Side by side comparisons are the best way to go if possible.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
If you hunt out west and spend basically your whole trip looking thru your binoculars, YES, the $1500 dollar models ARE that much better.  If you are using them for 10 seconds a day at 30 or 50 yards, it won't matter that much.  I'm happy I have good binoculars from doing a lot of hunting out west; I'm not going to grab some cheap ones to head out to the tree stand when I have the good ones.

Not one time in the dozens of times I have handed my Leicas or Swarovskis to someone using a lower quality pair, did they not just stand there with their mouth wide open or say "wow" or something to that effect.  There is a difference--period.

You are not going to see any difference looking at them in a store. Take them outside when it is almost dark and see what you think.

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Camera land sells Promasters with ED lenses for less than $400. These are the best binoculars for less than $1500 you can get. Although my Zen-Rays are probably as good, and about the same price. I have the Cabela's Euro binoculars too, which are very good, and my Dad has a pair of Leicas. I have looked through them all and I will put the Promasters up against any of them. Minox also makes very good binos with ED lenses for a reasonable price. Occassionallly Camera land has them on sale too. Minox is owned by Leica by the way. Some mid range optics like Nikon Monarchs and Leopold's appear to be really good when looking through them at close range objects, but you loose alot of definition at longer distances when compared to a pair with ED lenses. I think I have nine pair of binoculars the cheapest retail for about $300. I am a boat captain and spend hours every day looking through optics so I am very picky. Buy Promasters or Zen-Rays, you won't be sorry.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
I'm really please with my Nikon Monarchs in 8X42
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Was in the same boat as you - looked at and tried a bunch before getting the 10x32 Vortex Fury- they were the ones that worked the best with my glasses.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
I have the Vortex 6x32 Vipers. They are very good for bowhunting in woods or timber and work great with my glasses. I love them.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
what steve o said.
SL

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I own a pair of Leupold Yosemite 6x30s and a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42s. Both are excellent optically and can be found on line for around $100.00 and $250.00 respectively. There are other good choices but for anything from Eastern Whitetails to Black timber Elk (Leupolds) to open country Mule Deer, Antelope or Sheep (Nikons) I feel they are more than sufficient.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I wear glasses also...Stieners 8X30 predators, excellent and in your price range if you shop around...   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Unless your willin' to spend $1500-up...you can't beat the Nikon's... warrenty is the best in the business. I've took a good look at the $1,000 and bino....The nikon to me are just as good..can't afford $1,000 bino..besides I'm half blind anyway! YES I wear glasses, it's learning how to adjust the bino and getting use to looking thur them with glasses..Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Check Cabela's they are blowing out (or at least were) Zeiss conquest.  I went through the bino's search about a year ago, finally decided to save up and just buy a pair of Zeiss.  There is a tremendous difference for the discerning eye... BUT that said, the Nikon Monarchs are pretty good for under $400, but I recommend Leupold Goldring.  Best buy for the cabbage out there.  Be sure to check the TG Classifieds... I picked up my Zeiss Binos for about 3/4 the cost new and they were basically new!

Also check this link out tons of info:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Best of luck!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
If you are hard on binos, or hike long distances, look at the Leupold Mojaves in 8 x 42.  They are a roof prism design and are fairly light in weight.  Very good optics for the money.  I don't like the idea of spending more on binos than on a bow.  The last 20 to 30 yards is more critical to me than 600 yards away at dark.  Plus strong warranty and customer service.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »
I agree that the more expensive binoculars are often better quality, but a decent pair is fine by me.  I can see just fine, and with decent front objectives I can darn near see in the dark.

And most important to me. . I can afford them and I will actually use them if I am not worried about damaging a $1,000 or more tool.  I use Nikons and see well enough.  I tend to not sit for days looking thru the binoculars.  Long minutes, even an hour at a time, but not yet have I spent my trip looking thru binoculars.  Just haven't had a hunt that needed that.

The majority of us that hunt deer or elk will likely never need a set of Swarovski or Leica quality glass.  But they are pretty nice.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©