3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stringmakers need advice on material type  (Read 183 times)

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
Stringmakers need advice on material type
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Hi guys, I need a new string for my 42 lb.Kanait longbow. I think Jason sent my bow with a D97 string and since than I have tied a B-50 and it was VERY MUCH quiter but also much slower. What I'm looking for is the best of both worlds. When I order one in FF I have a choice of D97, D10, 450+, BCY 8125 is any one quiter than another?
Also what serving is best and how do you know which dia. to get to make the size come out right for a X-nock.
Thanks for any input.  :confused:
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stringmakers need advice on material type
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Chuck, all are pretty good and everyone has a personal choice. The 450+. is one of those mentioned, that I would try!

6 strands would be pretty good for your bow, and a Halo serving, .024, should be close. May have to lay a couple strands underneath. Some folks double serve with 2 different sizes. I'm sure they will post their choices.

One material not mentioned, that is really proving out for me is Astro flight. Lots of choices!

Have fun twisting, and experimenting!

Steve

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
Hey Chuck, get a hold of Oliver Stacy here, he has an add in the sponsor classifieds.

I have been trying his 450+ strings and they are a lot quieter than DF-97 on the Kanati. He makes them 8 strand with padded loops & .024 Halo serving, they fit my X-nocks great.

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Thanks so much Jason. See guys this is what you get when you when you buy your bow from a great bow bowmaker and a really good guy!!
Thanks Again
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
There are always exceptions, but in my experience how the string is made and tuned usually makes a lot more difference than the material it's made from.  

A little tinkering can go a long way.  I'd try 10-12 strands of 8125 or 10 strands of Dynaflight '97 for the string, and silencers that can be adjusted up or down the string after installation for final tuning.

Chad

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
just a heads up. 8125 and 450 plus has damaged 2 of my different bow string nocks.  it compresses the wood so hard. shoot it for a while then look at your string knock. bet some finish is starting to flake off. just a heads up. so from now on. i will shoot b50 or d 97.  keep in mind yes these bows are completely fast flight compatable.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
assuming the bow in question has limb tips that are properly built and designed for modern hmpe string fiber, it's not at all the string fiber that will ruin limb tip nocks (or snap them off), it's about building the string properly - loops need to be padded!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Yep--if both the bow and string are made properly, there will be no damage.

Dynaflight '97 is 100% SK75 Dyneema.

Formula 8125 is 92% SK75 Dyneema and 8% SK65 Dyneema.

450+ is 70% SK75 Dyneema and 30% Vectran.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I forgot to mention...Rod Jenkins shoots more arrows than anyone I know (by a big margin) and he likes 8125 very well.  If it was going to ruin a bow, he would have ruined several by now.

Not doubting your word, I just believe the culprit is something other than the string material.

FWIW, I've shot both 8125 and 450+ on my bow, and there's no sign of wear at the string grooves.  I've been shooting it for near 15 years, and it's never had a dacron string on it.

Chad

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
well it would not surprise me if it was the way the string was made. they where both from the same maker. and I never was happy with the quality. first batch he sent was an inch and a half short.. im glad that its not the material. cause 8125 sure is nice.  really makes a quite bow silent.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©