3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: East Texans  (Read 300 times)

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
East Texans
« on: June 05, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
OK. I've only been here a week. I'm bunkin for a month in the Woodlands with a bud while trying out a transfer of my job to Conroe. He doesn't hunt or fish. My one contact here so far isn't working out. I will probably be in the Willis area (bunking with another guy that is renting a house come July).

I'm looking to go shooting, hunting, fishing or whatever outdoors while I'm trying to make up my mind if this will even work. IT'S HOT HERE!!! for this old frostback. I'm looking for some cheap entertainment as I still have bills back home. Will drive or pay for gas if you drive. I'm not too keen on paying to hunt. (Thats one BIG drawback for me coming from Alberta where I have a few thousand acres close to home for peanuts.

I did find a indoor range out towards Magnolia today but he's only open a few days a week. I'm a little hesitant to leave my bows in a hot truck all day at work too.
Thanks for any help guys.
Oh, how come you guys don't have a State Trad club???
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: East Texans
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
There is a group around Conroe. There is also a state trad club, but with a state the size of TX...
Check out texasbowhunter.com to find the Montgomery County bunch.
I grew up in Conroe. When I graduated and left the population was around 9700. The land where the Woodlands is was just a thicket full of copperheads and cottonmouths.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I'm on the southwest side of Houston, Richmond area. There are several shops in the area but most deal mainly with compounds. The closest shop to you is Probally the Bow Zone in Spring that has an indorr range. There is an outdoor range at  http://www.buffaloarchery.org/aboutbuffalofieldarcheryclub.html.

There are several people from the Houston area on here and I am sure that they will chine in.

Welcome to Texas and no you never get used to the heat, and it has not been all that hot yet.

Chester
Ask me about CTO.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Thier is a bunch that holds 3-d shoots on the first saturday of each month north of winnie.  The shoot was today and it was a good one.  Find a fellar by the name of bill Decker and he can give you more info.  If you are looking for public land there is tons of it in San Augustine, Sabine, Angelina counties.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Hey Gun. Welcome to TX buddy. It ain't hot YET........ I am in Montgomery just east of Conroe quite often as my in-laws live there, though we live in Dallas. I'll drop you a line next time I'm coming in and let's try to shoot.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I went for a drive today after church. Checked out Bass Pro and found the outdoor range down by Houston. Everyone I saw was soaking wet. Didn't look like much fun to me.
Alex sent you a PM.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Fishycatfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
If I still lived in Galveston we could go fishin but I moved back to Brady last week.

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Gun, you haven't seen hot, wait til July and Aug. My parents own some property east of Conroe and you could lose some major (water weight) weight by staying outdoors for the day.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
ttt
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
ttt
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
I live in Deeeeep East Texas out by Lake Sam Rayburn and it isn't even hot yet...  It'll be over 100 very soon and stay that way until Thanksgiving.  Our typical weather forcast from May to late Oct/Nov. is:  early morning lows in the high 70's with 80% relative humidity.  Highs in the upper 90's with a 30% chance of evening thunderstorms and high humidity (80-90%).

We do have 4 seasons in East Texas, though...Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Deer Season.

Best of luck to ya and Welcome to the best State anywhere!!!
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
i work in conroe, live in new caney(20 min from the woodlands). ur welcome to come over and shoot at my house. probaly can set up some hog hunting too, getting the itch and its still a long way to sept and elk season.

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
We do have a State Traditional organization as well -  http://www.tbot.org/index.html.  Lots of weekend shoots and traditional bowhunters up I45 to Bryan/College Station/Madisonville area.

As stated above... it is not hot yet!!!!! Find a place and kill a hog now, and you will really understand "hot".
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Doug that is some funny sh_t. Gotta love East Texas humor. I say we get a HOU vicinity hog hunt going as there's several of us around Conroe at times.

I am noticing dead hogs on the side of the highways heading South and East in TX these days, whereas it might be deer or domestic pets before.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
SHNF Sam Houston National Forest group hunt? Depending on timing I would be up for that.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
Yep, you ain't seen hot yet!!! We're 10-13 degrees above what it should be, already had 25+ days of 93+! Gonna be a hot summer/fall.  I GOT AN OLD SAYIN  "IF YOUR FRIENDS DON'T BOWHUNT, FIND NEW FRIENDS!!!!"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
Sorry "Gun" but you parked in a place a little different then Canada. If the heat don't get you in the Houston area, then the humidity will. Once you adjust, and believe it or not you will, you'll think Texas is AOK. Stay positive and give the area a chance. If nothing else it will sure make going home more palatable. Welcome to "God's Country".

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Yikes! The guys at work are saying that too. I went from one extreme to the other. In Alberta we say you get 6 months of winter and 6 months of bad snow-mobiling. William and anyone else e-mail me your phone #s at [email protected]
Thanks

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Just another point to add in. Texas is a BIG piece of land compared to other states. I Hear a lot of outsiders try  break it up into 3 pieces: east, central and west. The more time you spend here the more you will realize its North, north east, east, southeast, south.....

Northeast and southeast is about a six hour drive from each other

Houston is southeast...  ;)
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
There are several places to shoot 3 d around the area, and lots of bowshops, some cater to trad some dont. I do, IM in livingston. you got Sam Houston NF in your back door and several others here in Etx, but you will find most hunt leased land.

And yes it just starting to warm up, you can hunt in shorts till nov most years. Though the climate is totally different depending on what part of the state your in as some gets colder than others.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©