3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Results of the recent Black Bear hunt with Homer Ocean Charters/ More pics added  (Read 818 times)

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Everyone is home now as I think I was the last to return. I just got home at 5:15 AM. this morning. As I stayed in Anchorage visiting my brother and his family thru the 4th of June.

Now as to results...  I was lucky enough to score on a nice Boar Wednesday afternoon. However, a bad 20 yd. shot resulted in a
liver and stomach hit causing a 300-400 yd. hard "up-hill" blood trail.                  :scared:                  He had, had my wind for some time..so not sure if he was laying in wait or just too sick to keep on going?                   :confused:                  

I could not shoot in in that part of devils club as it was too thick and shoulder high, so I had to move to the left a bit and he just turned his head and shoulders to follow my movement. I guess I don't have to mention the "Pucker Factor"                   :scared:                    at this point... as I had left my day pack containing my 44 mag, flash light, flagging tape and knife back on a snag on the beach before starting the stalk.                  :rolleyes:                  

I finally cleared to the left enough for a tight shot.... I blew it and am sure I cut hair from top of his head.  I was trying for the chest,  but concentrating on his eyes and head so you know where the arrow hit..  It burried in the tree right behind him and right above his head.   The sound and shot seemed to startle him and he blew out of there running down hill. [ I was forced to leave that new 250 gn VPA in the tree and just un-screw and save my shaft.]

It was getting too dark to find blood at that point. So, I retreated to the beach thru the same area he had just ran thru... Again, a bit scarry as I had to crawl thru brush and under logs on bear trails in several places....Finally the beach.  Thank you God !!                  :notworthy:                    Between several of us including Doug Kriengs, Thomas Burns, Chris Lacosta, Curt Yeager, and Randy [ a recently retired Military man with 43 years service flying Helos for the Army] We located him after an additional 100-150 yard blood trailing job.  

He had died next to a large "glacial" stream that entered the head of the bay I was hunting. We were actually able to float him down this stream to a point close to the tide flats where I could dress and later [ after the tide came back in ] load him into the skiff and take him out to the "Outer Llimits" our 60' home away from home.  

This beauty is one of 6 boats thats are owned and operated by Homer Ocean Charters  of Homer Alaska. I can not say enough good about our crew as they are truly "First Rate" and go way above and beyond to make for a great hunt. Since the "Outer Limits" is their newest and largest boat, it sees the majority of the hunting trips... the others are used more in the charter fishing part of their operation.

Boy was I a thankfull guy... all night long I had re-lived that terrible shot....
There was no scale aboard, but several guessed him in the 200-250 range.

I know I'm very pleased.  What a wonderful ending to a lifelong dream of hunting Alaska.

I asked, and HOC said this was the first "Archery" killed bear so far this year.

We did manage about 12-14 halibut between us.  Of which, I again scored on the 2 largest [a 34 and 60#r]. A couple guys never did get to catch a fish or have a close bear encounter, but everybody took home fish.

Well, its late and I'm tired, so signing off...hope you enjoyed my hunting saga..

Hopefully, others who came along for this wonderful hunt will chime in and add their adventures to the story.  I never actually got a picture of my bear on my camera [ besides I'm inept at posting pics.] Other's with picks have assured me they will be posting some in the near future.

For those interested, I used a 60" 58# 3 piece Kwyk Styk with GT 5575's loaded up with "proto-type" VPA 1 1/4" 250 gn 3 blade screw in broadheads for a total wt of 580 gns. or 10 gpp... This resulted in a complete pass thru shot, with the arrow landing on the grass about 15 feet on the other side of the bear... I might add, that I strongly feel that this excellent head and the blood trail it provided was the only reason this bear was recovered...this coming from a guy who swears by 2 blade single bevel broadheads..

Thanks for letting me share with you...

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats   :thumbsup:  on a great bear hunt
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to stick with a difficult situation      :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    ;)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great story with an excellent outcome Gene!

Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. I look forward to seeing pictures from what can only be called a wonderful bear hunting adventure.

Welcome back home!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sounds like a dream trip...I love Them Halibut!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice story. I was up there last year, what part of the coast did you get him?
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
I can only imagine the pucker factor.  Probably couldn't crap a greased needle.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
I really hope you are planning on putting up some pictures for us.  The scenery, boat, fish, bears...let's "Lamb" this up a little!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
What a story!!! Pucker factor indeed.

Congrats all the way around and thanks for sharing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sounds like it turned out to be a great trip    :bigsmyl:  
Congrats on a nice bear   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats!Very exciting tale.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
congradulations Gene! Good for you with sticking it out. I would have done the same thing if I to saw those eyes staring at me. Got any good Bear recipes?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Great story

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to hold tight and get it done.  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to go Gene! Congrats! And way to stick with it. Got pics?

TEMORARILY LOCKED
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
If some one has some time and would want to help with posting them?? I do have pictures I could email you???  :pray:    :goldtooth:  

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gene,
         Congradulations again on a nice Bear good to hear the whole story.
     Sounds like everyone had a great time!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Gene, welcome home and congrats on a great hunt. Way to stick with it and bring home the goods.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:  I've been watching and waiting to hear the outcome. Sounds like you had a great bunch of guys to share the hunt with also.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Great outcome to a fantastic trip!!  How close was the first shot?  What was the angle like?

Offline dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great story. Reading it brings back my hunt to me. We went with Homer Ocean in 2001. Great captain and mate, I was the lucky one. Took a bear at 8 yards on the ground and caught an 85# halibut. The fishing was awesome for us.
I would highly recommend Homer Ocean for anyone wanting to do this.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©