3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Crow Creek Blackfeather Recurve ???  (Read 592 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Crow Creek Blackfeather Recurve ???
« on: June 06, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Mr. Elmer Patton, as everyone already knows builds one heckuva nice longbow. A while back, I was talking with Elmer on the phone and asked him if he had ever considered building a set of recurve limbs for his Blackfeather riser. He told me that it had been at least a dozen years since he had built any recurve limbs for a Blackfeather, and wasn't sure that he could hit weight without wasting several expensive limb veneers.

Fast forward a few weeks.......I had been talking with my shooting buddy (Horner) while we were slingin' arrows one day about my conversation with Elmer. Bryan said.......man, I'd like to have a set of recurve limbs for mine too.

I gave Mr. Patton another call and told him that I also knew of another person that would love to have a set of recurve limbs for his Blackfeather too. Elmer said......"Let me play around with that idea a little bit"......not wanting to seem "pushy"......I left it at that and told him that I would give him another call in a week or two. The fact that he was even considering building us a set of limbs apiece was a GOOD sign to me.

A couple of weeks passed and both Bryan and I were dreaming of possibly owning a "complete package" Blackfeather was closer than either of us imagined. I gave Elmer another call and he said he was working on a set of recurve limbs for one of his Grandchildren's bows and just about had it worked out enough to suit him. He said that he was going to order some veneers and wanted to know "what" kind of veneers that we would be interested in. I told him that he knew what my riser was built out of, and he also knew what Bryan's riser was comprised of because he had just refinished if for him a few weeks prior. I told him that I would let him pick the veneers and trusted his judgement as to what would look good with my existing riser. Bryan also told him the same.

About a week later, Elmer emailed me and said that he would need both Bryan's and my complete bows......longbow limbs and all so that he could make sure that the fit of both sets of limbs would still be a good fit. We packaged up both of our bows and Bryan insisted that I let him mail mine to Elmer with his (Thanks Bryan) and off they went back to Arkansas.

The bows weren't even in Arkansas for two weeks and Elmer emailed me and said that both the bows would be ready to ship this past Tuesday. To say that we were "elated".......would be a vast understatement. We had them both mailed to Bryan's home, because not only was it cheaper to mail them together, but there was someone available to sign for them more at his house than at mine.

Bryan works 12 hour days Friday through Sunday. After putting in a long day at work yesterday and arriving at home........he immediately gives me a call and wants to know if I wanted to meet him out at the club and "stretch" these new limbs a little bit.

Well........it took me all of about two seconds to say........"Heck Yeah"!!!!

I hurried back home, grabbed my quiver and a handful of arrows and was out at the club in less than an hour after recieving Bryans call. He had just arrived also. He had already unwrapped his limbs and had them attached to his riser, but I was so excited to get mine unwrapped and on my riser that I didn't even notice.

To say that I am happy with the looks of these limbs would be one of the top understatements of all time. They are drop-dead gorgeous !!!!

I put the bow together........checked my brace height, quickly put a crimp on nocking point on at 3/8.......and away we went. The finished length on the bow with the recurve limbs is 60". I draw about 29 1/2" and there was absolutely NO finger pinch or stacking in the limbs what-so-ever. I am sooooooooooooooooo pleased with these limbs. They put an arrow downrange at a very respectable speed and hit the target bags pretty dang hard.

We shot for a little over an hour, stretched the new strings that Elmer sent us with each of our sets of limbs and called it a night. I'm sure with the addition of some silencers, a little wool yarn wrapped around the stringloop end of the strings and they are gonna be quiet as a church mouse. I will also tie on my own nocking point as soon as I'm sure that the string has stretched all that it is going to.

I would like to take this time to personally thank Mr. Elmer Patton for doing this for both myself and my friend Bryan. We are tickled to death with both the craftsmanship, performance and the beauty of these limbs. They are "sister" limbs as the limb veneers all came from one slice right off top of the other. I'm tellin' ya'll, if you haven't ever shot one of Elmers bows.........you owe it to yourself to give them a go. They are not only beautiful creations, but their performance is second to none.

Hat's off to Mr. Elmer Patton........and Thank-You again........kind sir, for building these limbs for us.   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Reggie Catfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Crow Creek Blackfeather Recurve ???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
thats awesome- pics of the "new legs"?

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Where's the pics? Oh, and congrats on your new limb.   :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Pitchers.........Dang !!!!!

I knew I was forgettin' somethin'

Winterhawk1960

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Here we go..........

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Woops !!!!!!! Wrong picture.....but that is me on the right. Did I mention that they are "olive ash burl" veneers.....sure are purdy.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
O.K.......here are a couple of quick ones.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Puuuurrrrrrdy! Congrats again.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Bob Stager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Great looking limbs. Bob

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Great veneers Don. Will that be at Compton's with you?  :bigsmyl:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Awesome veneers.    :thumbsup:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Beautiful
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks guys.......  :bigsmyl:  

Mike,

It sure will be at Comptons....along with the rest of my small "herd". Only a week and a half till we leave......and I'm READY, I need a little "rest and relaxation".

Winterhawk1960

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Shuuuweeee drop dead gorgeous.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Can't go wrong with Elmer! Nice!    :thumbsup:
bolong

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Well I can't thank Elmer enough.  He really built four beautiful limbs. I really could not be happier with them.  I think Don has said it best and I will just add my part of the    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:      

Here are a few pics, of the sister limbs to Don's.

I added some silencers today and I can't hardly wait to give this sexy lady a BIG workout.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
those are sweet veneers.  :thumbsup:

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
.....back up for a look see.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Great looking bows for sure. I have a few of Elmers bows myself. Only lacking the Dalton to have at least one of every type he makes. I had the pleasure of meeting Elmer and his wife two summers ago, and nicer people you wont ever meet. We spent a whole day out in his shop talking about bows and arrows and hunting and anything else that came to mind. I really enjoyed my visit, hope to get by there again some day.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
Steve,

Elmer speaks highly of you. I hope to meet him myself someday. We have had several phone conversations and he's as honest and straight-forward as you'll ever find. I really like these recurve limbs.....the more I shoot them, the better they are. I think perhaps Elmer "tuned" some of the misses out of them for me.

Winterhawk1960

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©