3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back From Canada.....Pics  (Read 1273 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Back From Canada.....Pics
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
First, let me say my 7 day bowhunt was cut short by a family emergency. I came home after 4 days as my 95 yr old mom was rushed into the hospital. She is being released tomorrow but we have a long road ahead of us.

I only have a few days of my diary and although I took some success pics of a few bears taken before I left, my one buddy just sent me pics of the bear I arrowed late in the evening and was recovered the next day....7 hrs after I left. The hide is in good shape as he's keeping it in his freezer for me until I can pick it up.

They followed my trail of PINK surveyor tape to the bear. I took a compass reading of the direction the bear ran off and since I didn't hear the death moan, my last marking in the dark jungle was about 50 yds from the bear. He only ran about 50 yds then circled back. My Kempf Stealth and 160 gr Snuffer scored again.

Back with some pics....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back From Canada.....Pics
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Lookin forward to pics!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
When were arrived the weather was lousy. Rained most of the week with intermittent sunshine. I grabbed the guides spinning rod, picked some worms and headed down stream...The Brook Trout were biting...

The Ski Lodge that we stayed in....

Getting in some practice between rain...

The stand I was in and how I was situated was terrible for using a bowquiver. So I took my Day One pack and shoved my quiver in the large side pouch then covered up the fletching to keep them dry. Worked great....

Here is the stream I fished in...

More pics to follow...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
sorry to hear about your mother, my prayers are with you and your family. CONGRATS on the bear man and look forward to the pic's and the rest of the story!!!!!!!!!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Look forward to more pics Joe......I certainly would have spent some time on that stream too.

Glad your mom is out of the hospotal, prayers for as quick a recovery as possible are yours.....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
My prayers for your mother as well Joe. Those Brookies look DELICIOUS! Looking foward to the rest of the story and pictures. Congrats   :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :coffee:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I should point out, 7 of 8 hunters took bear. The one bowhunter who didn't score was holding out for a larger bear than he arrowed last time. We had 2 first time hunters, one gun and one bowhunter. I was the only Trad guy there....

This was the first bear taken by the first timer

The Ravens had a field day and in this pic, you can see the bear off to my left. I'm drawing down on a Raven who was perched on the railing of the building. I missed.....I thought the camera guy had him in the photo before I shot

My first 2 nights I passed up two bears...10 yds quartering away. Roughly same size both late in the evening

Bait barrel 18 yds from the Stand...

On the fourth evening after light rain the woods became deathly quiet. I mean nothing was stirring.
No birds, chipmunks however the skeeters remained a constant...constant pain. I sprayed myself down with Sportsmans Off and I never got bit but they hovered in front of my face mask all night.....

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Congrats Joe,we all wait for more.I really hope for a fast recovery of your mom.Prayers sent.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
I checked my watch...9:15 and darkness was creeping in. To combat some stiffness, I hung my bow up and stretched my legs and arms. I no sooner grabbed my bow when I heard a limb snap.

I was on full alert when I caught the glimpse of a black body working through some thick grass and blow downs heading towards the bait. She looked good size and I decided to take the shot if she offered one. She walked in, knocked the barrel over and started munching away.

I let her get comfortable and watched her every move to see how she was situating herself after grabbing the goodies. On her fourth mouthful, she turned and presented a slight quartering shot. She was maybe 15 yds and totally relaxed when the large Snuffer slammed through her.

Growling and spinning she hauled a...back into the jungle. Crashing off like a train. I sat tight waiting to hear the death moan. It never came....So...as total darkness was about 10 minutes away, I eased down after taking a compass reading and laid a "Team Pink" surveyor trail as far as I thought I wanted to go....

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
I didn't want the guide coming in to pick me up as he always does, so I hoofed it out about 300 yds to the logging road. I didn't want the bear disturbed, just in case....

When we got back to the lodge around midnight, my hunting buddy broke the news about my mom. Elation turned to concern. I was shaken and on of the guys who already took a bear had his gear packed and told me to pack up as he was driving me home. The 12 hr drive seemed shorter. It pays to have a NYC Cop drive...especially at higher speeds. That badge gives them "courtesy" from other officers.

I got the call here at home my bear was found and my other hunting buddy sent me some pics. Here they are....

Guide Michele with one of the 2 bears that were taken that scaled at 246 and 253 pounds respectively.

My other buddy made sure they left some Pink tape on my bruin....

This is a great hunt and I enjoy the guys who I share camp with. The events here at home took some of the joy out of hunt but we'll be back to normal shortly and I will take the time to relive those 4 short days in New Brunswick.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Way to go Skipper Congrats! Sorry about your Mom. Hope all is well.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
Congratulations!  Nice bear & pictures to go with it!  Hope your Mom has a quick recovery!   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Glad to hear your mom's on the mend even if slowly. Everyday is miracle.

Great pics...

P.s. them black birds are hard to hit...can't hardly even loose an arrow before they take off. Good job even getting a shot.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Nice bear! Gotta love N,B spring bear! Hope your Mother is ok.

Wesley

Offline Reggie Catfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
thanks for sharing...looks like a things are looking up- your mom on the mend & you got your bear.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your mom Joe , prayers sent . Congrats on a fine bear.  Drew   :clapper:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Congrats Joe, sorry to hear your trip was cut short.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Congrats nice bear.
PBS  Member

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Congrats on the bear Joe !! Hope everything goes well with your mom.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©