3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: treestand height  (Read 910 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
treestand height
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
What is your stand height for hunting?????
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: treestand height
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Anywhere from 0 to 18 feet.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
I like 12-14 ft MAX
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Depends on background cover, terrain, and available trees. I hunt anywhere from 14-22ft. Don't hunt any higher than you are comfortable.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Under 20 ft when running trad gear.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
For bear I'm no higher than 5 ft, for whitetail around New England I'm up at 15-18 or so
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
is that 5 ft a typo?????  I have seen people sitting in a 5 foot tree stand before, looks kinda funny . . . and it defeats the purpose in my opinion!  But then again I could see it being useful if there is chest high brush or something, the guys I have seen were in open woods, lol.  The stands we had set up over Micky's house were 18-20 I think, that was pretty high for my comfort, mine was one step higher(camera man set up:) ), but I have a ladder stand that is probably only 14???  Which seems to low.  I really dont know much about tree stands, I like my butt safely planted on the ground!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Around 15'. Used to hunt much higher but really dont think it's necessary unless you want to be able to dance the funky chicken  in your stand without the deer seeing you.  :D
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Terrain, back cover, and topography come into play but I like to be 16-20 feet on the uphill side if on unlevel ground. I've hunted as high as about 30 feet because of site factors but the shot is much more difficult.  I've hunted from trees lower than 16 feet (never less than 12) but these have been very brushy trees (eastern red cedar)in which I could completely bury myself to disappear.  I'm going to do a bit of ground blind hunting this fall. I do it all the time to bowhunt turkey. Turkeys are so difficult to keep from spooking when you are in a tree. So, I'll come to ground when hunting areas good for roaming turkeys and deer.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Not a typo Chris. Here is a picture of the stand I got bear #2 from. There is a great story with that one somewhere in the archives here. Last year's bear was shot from a slightly higher stand-(6 ft?) but the year before I hunted a spot called: "The Bowl" on BearQuest II after Bowdoc killed his bear an recommended it for me. It seems as though you are nearly eye level due to the terrain; hence calling it "The Bowl."  All my bears have been shot within 5 yards (so far). I think higher up from that range makes for a more difficult shot angle. Unlike deer I believe the bears know you're there anyway but you do have to stay still and avoid staring at them (they hate that-      :D      )! I'm 5"10".

NRA Life Member

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
What I have found is that if I get too high the angle of the shot is too steep.  If the deer is out far enough to make the angle better he's too far away.  I stay below 18'.  Most of the time around 15 or so.  That works for me. What ever you decide, practice from that height to see if you can make a killing shot at what angle and distance.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
hey curveman is that a screaming eagle stand ? they're awesome stands, my personal favorite. 5ft. high sure makes them easy to install lol.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
Killed more deer under 15 feet high in a tree, then over 15'

Offline Reggie Catfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Like others have said- its all about comfort. Whether you're 3 feet or 30 feet- if you're not comfortable in the stand, the shot will be difficult due to distraction/lack of concentration.
That being said, I try to stay around 18-20 feet unless its windy, then I stay in bed

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
My only success from a tree stand came at 9 feet!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
I've taken several deer less than 10 feet off the ground while sitting in a bare fence row tree and wearing Shaggie suit . . . my version of an elevated blind:^)  Sitting LOW in a "brush suit" can be more effective than higher up but sticking out like a sore thumb!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
Not sure carbon, Tommy had hung it. When I first saw it I thought maybe he wanted da bears to get me!   :biglaugh:
NRA Life Member

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
I love to be 20ft high so i can move around and get away with it.

Its high enough that i can get away some movement and low enough that the shot angles are not to steep.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Between 20 and 25 feet. I have a haul rope on my climber that is 25 feet long. I climb till I start to see my bow come off the ground. I shoot from this height in my yard most of the summer,  on makenzie targets you can get a good look at shot angle. I hunt state property and have found I don't get busted too much at 20 feet.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Very seldom get over 15 feet
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©