3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: F-15s  (Read 421 times)

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
F-15s
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I mentioned these once before but man these little dudes are nasty!! They leave square hole through things no plugging it up with mud hair or gauze!!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: F-15s
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
A six bladed broadhead?  i can hardly sharpen a 3 blade to my satisfaction, much less 6!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Mike....I bought some for kicks and sent them back.  Man were they tiny.  Zwickey 4 blades would do more damage.

What did you shoot though with yours?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I think Jim Belcher killed a couple of Javalina with them.

Bill

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
got 3 expandable F15s and 3 cut on contact, that i shot thru a compund. Killed deer with all of the heads. The cut on contact are nasty and better than teh expandable.
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
I've road tested them on a dead cow. They seem to shoot perfect and penitrate deep. They left a very large hole on the cow. If they do that kind of damage. I can't see anything plugging the wound.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
Wahoo! I "knew" that "stuff" always comes around again....      :laughing:    

Am I the only one that remembers a very old thread(13 Sept 1999) titled  
"Bow test on a dead Cow"?

If I can figure how to make a link to it, I have the whole thread saved on PDF.

What a hoot of a read!!!!

Thank you for the trip down memory lane!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
How did they hold up? Any Damage to the head, Would you assume this is a 1 time use head?

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Terry, don't be deceived by "small" heads. I talked to Nic at Steelforce and he explained how compact heads actually increases penetration. That's why he says his Phathead is his best head and "traditional" 3:1 two blades actually can bring less penetration than a compact 4 blade. His explaination was that it was the front of the blade that cuts more than the back, if that makes any sense.

If you ever get a chance, try some Phatheads. They come in 75, 100, 125, 145 and 190gr. Something for everyone.

Nic mentioned that a hunter had a complete pass thru on a giraffe with a Phathead. That's a rare feat. He said the guide couldn't believe it.

I haven't tested the F-15's yet, but the Carbon Express XT 4 blades seem to be a great head. Scary sharp out of the box, for the re-sharpening challenged. It's basically a 2 blade with thick bleeders at the tip, as opposed to farther back.

The back of the blade is also sharp.

Here's the XT...
  http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/cms/content/xt-4-blade  

I also have 150gr and 210gr Silver Flames. To be honest, the XT's are like a poor man's Silver Flame if his setup requires a 100gr head. Granted, like lots of stuff today, they are made in China.

But if you have weighted inserts and use a 100gr head, the XT rates right there with the Steelforce Phathead.

I'm going to shoot a deer with the XT's this Fall and I'll give an update then.

I'm going to buy a pack of F-15 to test on the range, just to test the flight and noise.

I had talked to Jim Belcher on phone and he gave the F-15's rave reviews, which made me want to give them a try.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
Am I the only one that remembers a very old thread(13 Sept 1999) titled  
"Bow test on a dead Cow"?
"You can't kill a dead cow with blunts"

That quote has stuck with me for years!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
I remember...along with the "What to do with a squirrel hide" of the same era that went 400 posts!

RE: small heads. I think I remember reading that the old theory that native americans used the small flint heads for "bird points" was erroneous.

I read they now speculate that since the plains tribes had less good wood for bows, they sinew backed but had less poundage...and the smaller heads penetrated buffalo better to get to vitals and stay in doing horrendous damage.

Interesting thought...But I don't get to chase my shot critters across endless plains on horseback waiting for them to drop!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
I recall the phrase "legs had achieved liftoff" also.

Open holes are nice, but cutting surface is great if a pass through is absent. I guess thats why they went with 6 blades in a small head. But how about aerodynamics?
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©