3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: simmons trophies  (Read 1747 times)

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: simmons trophies
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
It-m-grow,

I've always just used a butchers steel. Get's them shaving sharp in no time.
TommyBoy

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
The Steelmaster sharpener is the most effective way I'm aware of to sharpen those concave edges.  Jerry brought a prototype of it into bear camp back in the early 90s which he gave me to try out.  Worked pretty darn well too.  He made at least two modifications after that and now it's as good as it gest for sharpener big curve edges.  The Steemaster uses a "half-round" file", if necessary, for establishing the right bevel, produceing a burr, etc., and round ceramic rods for the final edge.  I only use the file for heads I've shot into the ground or that have nicked bone.  The rods suffice to sharpen heads out-of-the-package.  I can have a new head peeling hair in a matter of scends using rods only.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
LCH, thanks for the reply. I'll guess I'll quit worrying about trying to shoot the bleeders and just enjoy shooting them as a 2 blade.
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I use the bleeders on the screw-in Interceptors for deer and black bear (2 blade for elk) and see no difference in their point of impact.  Perhaps it's just me but I can't "shoot the difference".  I have, however, taken several animals using the 2 blade glues-ons and wooden shafts.
Gary Logsdon

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
I don't use the bleeders any more.A treeshark cuts a whopper of a hole without needing the bleeders.I also prefer the glue-on heads over the screw-ins.They are a much stronger built head since the blades are supported at the back.I sharpen mine with paper wheels on my grinder.The setup Simmons sells works great but my grinder is a lot quicker. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
Thank you all.  I have admired these heads (well the holes they produce) for sometime and now that they are readily available again, I am thinking of giving them a try.

So Gary and others that have shot them for years...double or single bevel?

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Dave I don't use the bleeders either . Most of my arrows are wood anyway . I have had excellant results with them . You won't be disapointed . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
I use the Steel master sharpener. You can take it with you on trips. If you use the glue on they work better with steel inserts those aluminums break.LCH

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
I use double bevels, but keep in mind that I probably have 100 or more laying around here that Jerry gave me over the years and none of the newer ones. That's a lot of surplus 190 gr. Interceptors considering how well they hold up. FYI, when I use the insert blades on deer, it's to decrease the chance that the main wound channel (wide slit) doesn't align itself with the "grain" of the outermost muscle tissue on either side of the animal, which is the reason that Fred Bear use to say that you "shouldn't shoot a two blade head at a big game animal."  Bear's little break-a-way bleeders helped cut an X hole that helped keep the entrance and exit holes more "open" all the way into the body cavity, the idea being that it would spill more blood on the ground thus producing a better tracking situation.  A hole is better than a pinched off slit, etc, etc.. I've used 2 and 4 bladers and finding animals isn't a problem when the arrow's in the right place, BUT . . .? Food for thought.  Both types have done fine for my purposes, but the 4 blades do create a different wound channel dynamic, one that might serve the hunter better on marginal hits.
Gary Logsdon

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
thanks for all the pics guys, I'll see what I can do for some of my own this fall.  :archer:
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Hey guys thanks for your interest in the heads. It's a pleasure to be able to offer such a great head again. The Lord has blessed me.
If ya'll want to see some pretty cool wound channels...check out the gallery on my site simmonssharks.com. I'm constantly adding pics. As ya'll keep sending them to me.
I just recently took a bear with an experimental head that I've been working on. Nothing really new just Tigershark screw-in (175gr.). It's a shortened version of the Interceptor. I like it pretty well. Should be out this fall. Thanks, Dave
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Gary,
When using the Simmon Steel Master, which slot should you use with the rods to get the best results?

Dave,
Keep us posted on the 175 screw-in Tigersharks.  I've got a Treadway longbow that is just screaming to those heads!
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
A few shark attacks.

Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
Big'n,  I am trying to narrow down my options and you go an add another...what's up with that?  :-)

I had it down to the 190 interceptor without bleeders.   Then I am thinking that the single bevel would be easier to sharpen...

Soo let me turn the tide on you...

Which shark do you pick off the shelf to go hunting when nobody is looking and why?

And if you answer starts with "Well it depends..." I am gonna scream.  :-)

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
I sot a turkey this spring with a brand new treeshark.  It worked awesome.  I hit the bird broadside in the spine.  It completely severed the spine and left a huge wound.  0 yard recovery.  The 2 inch cut was a big asset.  I can't wait to try them in the fall.  I am colorblind and need all the blood on the ground I can get.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:00 AM »
Dave, on mine I use the inside most slot/guides for placement of the ceramic rods.  I'm using an older model that Jerry gave me and assume that the newer ones have the same angles marked.
Gary Logsdon

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Dave after I put the burr on the edge with the file I put the rods in the inside hole till burr is gone. Then put it in the outside holes for several strokes.
Note if the rods get real grey looking wash them with dishwashing soap.LCH

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Dave my alltime favorite is the 165gr.Landshark. It's the reason that I bought the company. All of the heads are tough but this one just has it all. Some of the holes I've seen it put in animals are off the hook. The interceptor would be my next favorite. Here's the rub though. When I bought the company I began to notice that I was selling a large amount of glueon Tigersharks to compound guys. Thye were buying them up and putting those junk aluminum adapters in them. So I started asking questions and they all said the same thing....."The Tigershark out penetrates all the others". I welded afew Tigershark blades up with steel mandrels and started shooting them.
Wow the best of both worlds. Penetrates like the Interceptor and is as tough as the Landshark.
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Big'n you are right. When the Landshark shortage hit (before you so graciously purchased the company) I was scrounging for heads and made a trade for some Tiger sharks. I shot a doe with one and got a pass through. Previosly with the landsharks they would just stick out the other side. The tigershark stuck in the ground 6". Keep making a great product.LCH

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
Javilinas with Tree Shark. I love these heads.

"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©