3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather choice  (Read 624 times)

Offline 8pnt

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather choice
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I have been using high back 5.5" in feathers on my wood arrows.  I like the way they shoot and can't tell any difference in trajectory.  Are these feathers any louder and has anyone ever checked for the difference in trajectory versus regular 5" featheres

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather choice
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Been MY Experience, the Taller the Feather, The Louder the Feather. Got 1/2 to Flop Around & make Noise! Just My 2 Cents!! If I am Going to Be Sneaky Quiet, I Like the 4" Long Feather!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Are you using shields or parabolics?  Parabolics are a lot quieter than shields. I personally use the 5.5 parabolic. The little bit of noise they make does not seem to make a difference.  Jim Pyles

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Did a quick search, but couldn't find the thread I'm thinking about...  Read a little while ago abut the quietest fletching types.  Not sure about trajectory, etc. but it seemed from the testing some guys did, lower profile equaled quieter flight.  I think someone mentioned keeping their feather height under a 1/2 inch for the best results.  I think I remember the banana cut as well as parabolic being a bit quieter than shield...?

Good luck

Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I did the 5.5High back shield feathers and they stabilize heavy heads quick.I also did parabolic's and they are quiet and a tad faster feeling.Now I burn my own shape and have the best of both shapes.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 8pnt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I know the 5.5 shield cuts shoot broadheads great and I like to practice with what I hunt with.  Have never had trouble with fletching noise but then again I have extremely bad hearing.  20 yards and in with a quiet bow and I don't think they have a chance before its too late.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Hey,

I say shoot what you like.  I don't think it matters.  No matter how quiet your bow is or how quiet your arrow is, a deer if it wants to can get out of the way of your arrow.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline 18thcentman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I like the high back 5.5 inch shield cut feathers. I like to practice with what I use for hunting,same as 8pnt.
Living the Dream

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
If you are shooting over 4" you should try bare shafting your arrow.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I've shot all the common shapes and prefer a 5" shield. Only for looks. I'm surrounded on 3 sides by hills and sharp drop to bottom of a winding creek bed. If you want to know how loud feathers can be just go shoot them in the bottom  of the hills sometime. They can be very loud.
Think I may go back to low bananna fletch.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
Wanna know if more feather makes an arrow load, shoot a flu-flu...Lower profile makes less noise absolutely.

As for down range performance I doubt there is a noticable difference.

I like shield because they seem to hang in there a bit longer than parabolics when they first get wet...
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I use 5" parabolic feathers. No noise in flight.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I was shooting highback 5.5" shields, and switched to 5" parabolics, and the sounds difference was night and day.  The parabolics are 10% the noise.  Some old timers say otherwise, but I just think they are deaf from shooting guns.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©