3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tracer nocks  (Read 784 times)

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
tracer nocks
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
i dont know if this is allowed on tradgang but i kinda wanted to try them..if you have,how were they mounted so the magnet didnt get in the way or do you put them under your rest material and raise your nock...thanks
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tracer nocks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
I can't answer your question but you might want to check game laws in your state. I know they are illegal in Colorado.

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
they can be used here

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
go Firenock....inertia mechanism...   :D
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
kinda partial to easton cause they are made in us

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
FWIW - One, if not both (P&Y & B&C) do not consider their use to be "fair chase", and will not record game taken while using this product.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
well its not about the horn its the hunt,i just want people who have used them to give me some feedback

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I have used the lumenocks on several kills, they really help you track your arrow's flight and mark your arrow's impact point so you know what kind of hit you got and how to properly follow up the shot... ie. whether you need to wait several hours or not.
the tracer's have had mixed reviews as far as the durability. there have been some that would not shut off.
I think I would go with the carbon express made lighted nocks or with firenocks.
I tried g5's lighted nock and could not get the thing to activate with my trad bow.
Do a search on here for lighted nocks, you should get alot of info.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Heres my feedback.....Easton is junk IMO i have bought 10 Easton lighted nocks and none lasted more than 2 weeks..Archery store quit selling them to me.....Magnet is hard to place and you better superglue it............Luminocks...doesn't work to well either. You have pull nock out after every shot to disengage connection....Firenock works off of inertia..been shooting one now for 6 months.....NEVER...NEVER has not gone off....Firenocks also has 3 x more colors....plus has a clear knock which i love. Also the nock itself is "supposely more accurate" than the rest..I am not going to argue with a Korean about archery accuracy   :)  ...........FYI...easton may be in salt lake but probably buy theirs overseas.....they have the worst IMO

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Well as a guy that films all of his hunts, something that is visible like that is always nice to have!!  I have some, they are especially awesome when you shoot at squirrels up in trees late in the afternoon.  They are a must when you hunt coons or yotes at night!  I like the magnetic systems as they always work, but hate having to use the magnet.  They are really fragile tho, lumenocks and tracers.  But I still liked them.  

I think it is funny to say having a lighted nock is not fair game. I have been aware of that rule, so I only used them for small game.  Mainly because I dont shoot late in the afternoon on whitetails.  But seriously does having a lighted nock give you more of an advantage vs a fur tracer?

In the end I am with Ipcjon2, pink feathers show up just as good on film, even in low light . . .
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
I've not used the Tracers but got me a couple of Nocturnals that seem to be working well.  Really helps when ya huntin' at night.
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
so will someone tell me all the options i have with the nocks

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
well what about fur tracers..opinions on those

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
What options? color, lighting system, shaft diameters, blinking time, battery life?

Google :Firenock, Luminock, Easton, Burnt Coyote, G-5

Been there got the merit badge........Firenock....move on  :)

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
I've tried the tracers, but i've found that 4-fletch pink feathers with a white wrap lets my old eyes see where the arrow goes better than the tracers did. i would buy a firenock and try it.  Compare it to a tracer.  Then compare that to bright fletchings. Then you will know for sure.   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
I have been using the tracer fer a bunch of years I mount the magnet on the back of the riser and level with the shaft.Never had a problem although the magnet is a pain(i can be a bit harsh on my equiptment at times)I carry a spare on the steel bolt that holds my quiver.Being badly color blind I think the are an awsome tool. They show up very well.I have no experience with the others.I also don't practice with them I just use them for hunting A few practice shots to make sure everything is in order and good to go.
Jeff Couture

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
One problem with the magnet is that depending on where your arrow is in paradox, it may not pass close enough to the magnet to trigger the nock.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
One thing I forgot to add in my first post, is that lumenocks will crack your shaft from the impact of the two wires that touch the shaft.
I make my own, and really like them, they are pretty much the same design as the carbon express laser eye lighted nocks.
I also would recommend the firenocks, but they are more expensive.
If your not sure about a lighted nock, just buy one and try it out.
I especially like one on a bare shaft when i'm tuning arrows using that method of tuning.

fyi.- I have found no significant difference in shooting a lighted nock with the small addition of extra weight they have, over shooting a standard nock. At least with my setup.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Boone & Crockett will let you enter animals taken with a crossgun, they don't care about a stupid little light on the back of your arrow.

Pope & Young/Compton will not let you enter an animal taken with a lighted nock (that should be sticking in the ground where you hit the animal) but they have no problem with a guy using a string tracker that walks a him right to the animal with a half mile of thread!  What B.S.   :knothead:  

I've never hunted with the lighted nocks, but I sure do LOVE to shoot with them.  There is not much more fun than watching that arrow fly.  I've pretty much just used home made ones, but plan to give the Nockturnals a try.  Firenocks are the best, but I don't want to part with the $$$.  I just bought some glow-in-the-dark paint and am going to see how that works out so I can have the most visible nock/arrow without breaking any archaic "rules".  If that doesn't work out, I may be at the point that I won't be entering any more "record book" animals.

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
how many are really honest when they summit to those scoring systems...i have killed several big deer and do not have one on the books..in fact i gave the mounts away that doesnt mean squat to me..i know several hunters who have them on books and used all kinds of artificial lighting..thats not why i hunt i hunt to get away,i hunt because i love wild game,i hunt cause i am a hunter..scores dont mean anything to me i hunt because i love it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©