3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?  (Read 7687 times)

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
or foam
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
...anyone else of the same mind set as me " Bring what you hunt with ?"
I personally don't have any bows designed for targets and I only shoot my 63# Hill style longbow.  So yes I am of the same mind set personally.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Technically you can eat the paper, but the foam will kill you for sure. It expands in the stomach.

Sorry, had to set the record straight.

:bigsmyl:

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Damn, no wonder my stomach looks like it does..and I thought it was a beer gut, its a foam gut!!!!  :biglaugh:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
A takedown recurve made from modern materials are not exactly traditional now is it? What about carbon arrows? Or shooting from a shelf, or whatever....

I started shooting as a FITA shooter, and that lead me to becomming a compound hunter, which in turn evolved into a fullfledged stick and string type of hunter/archer. Recently a whole group of guys I shot FITA with years back started shooting trad with us. Their new found passion and enthusiasm has totally revived my own passion for traditional archery.

I guess I'm trying to say that some of the guys with their newfangled equipment will probably "grow" and end up being lifelong supporters of traditional archery...don't lock them out. Invite them in. They might end up being the "new blood" your local trad archery scene needs in a year or two's time!

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Where as I agree with you about being inclusive, the take down bows and carbon arrows is kind of misleading.  These still shoot the same as more traditional and really don't afford the user any advantage.  Sights and other things that improve the bows ability to deliver the arrow on target are a different thing altogether.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by hawk4570:
I use the same bow for booth the only thing I really have a problem with is metal risers on trad bows.
Problem with bows that have been used for 60 plus years?

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
I just got off the phone with A@H and ordered a 16in riser 45@30 with 66in limbs.

I ordered this bow because i wanted a 3-D bow and this bow fits that need to a T.

That being said i can still hunt any animal in north america but i just wanted a long smooth shooting bow.

After all these 3-D shoots are over i will be hunting with my PSA X or my ILF Morrison.

I could care less what people are shooting at 3-D shoots as long as they are having fun and they are promoting trad archery.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Buddy of mine( been huntin with Trad equip for 3 years) just got back from a large Traditional shoot he has been excited about going to for his first time and came back with disappointment. I asked him why? He said he was saddened to see so many razzle dazzle target recurves set ups at the top classes. He said 2 guys in his group were shooting 39#......long story short he said he would not go back.. He wanted to be around Traditional Bowhunters not guys shooting target setups...........I said .."Congratuations...you could be classified a Traditional Bowhunter".......i hung up and scratched that shoot off my to do list next year...anyone else of the same mind set as me " Bring what you hunt with ?"
I have read this over and over.

He's upset because the shooters in the "Top" class shot Razzle Dazzle Target RECURVES....
 (Note) I take it they were allowed/with in the rules of this shoot.

He didn't want to shoot with Target Recurve shooters. He wanted to shoot with Bowhunters/ people shooting there hunting bows..

So why didn't he just shoot with a different group?

So both of you will not be going to this shoot next year....

I'm sure no will miss both of you.

When will this petty complaining stop?  Never...

I'm sure glad that everyone doesn't have this mind set......

By the way I only shoot my hunting bow at 3D shoots. For over 20+ years this has been the norm for me.

As for weather I'm a Trad Archer or Trad Bowhunter.. I hunt,shoot,and everything else with a Recurve and Longbow. So in the end I guess I'm just.......Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Come in Marty. You got a copy?. This might beat your 300+ thread. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Joey, You sure know how to get people thinkin'    :clapper:    :archer2:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
I have to agree with Mark, This stuff happens with ALL of the shooting sports. Be yourself, shoot what makes you happy and let others do the same. Remember, the only score you have to beat is your own.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
I own, and shoot bows from 42# @ 29" up to 51# @ 28". I am by no means a very good shot. I shoot for fun.......more times than not at our indoor club house. At least once a week, sometimes twice a friend of mine and myself meet and shoot for several hours. Not continuously, because we also like to "shoot the breeze" a little bit too.

Some days are better than others as lots of things can have an affect on how a person shoots that particular day. I came back to shooting what I call traditional bows because of the simplicity of it all......as well as the fact that I just wasn't enjoying hunting with my "gadget bow" any longer. For me, shooting a compound with a kisser button, peep sight, stabilizer and sight pins........let alone the mechanical release was to much like a rifle. Once you got it tuned in.......it was just plain and simple TO EASY to make a good shot. That being said, I never shot competitively......nor did I have the desire to. I shot some 3D rounds and tore up my share of paper targets.

I understand and support anyone that makes the choice to be competitive........heck, I am competitive myself, but not with other people. I have participated in many other sports in a competitive way and enjoyed myself. The only competition that I have......is with myself. I have yet to turn in a score card at a 3D shoot, but have not ruled that out as a possibility.

To be perfectly honest with you, I am afraid that if I ever got in a "competitive mode" shooting my bows that it would take some of the fun out of it for me. I could be wrong, but I'm sure that as long as the "fun" remains when shooting for a score, it will be something that I will continue to do.

As for light bows, and what I have learned about shooting them. When I want to work on my form, for me.......the lightweight bows show me much more than the heavier ones do. Your release, especially is much more critical when you don't have a bunch of weight trying to pull the string from your fingers. I own and shoot several bows built by different bowyers and truly enjoy both the vast and subtle differences. Anyone that has shot a lot of different bows can relate to what I am talking about. What I have found, for me, is that the "grip" on a bow is what makes or breaks it for me. Even with a similar grip on a bow built by a different bowyer.......some bows like to be "held"......others don't. Some bows just "feel" better in my hand than others do.

We all have our own shooting style, mine has been modified.....and I'm quite sure that it will continue to be refined up to the point that I finally get good enough to "suit myself". I'm willing to bet that when that happens......that I'm better than "average".

Once again.......the competition isn't with ANYONE.....except myself. Anyone that knows me will readily admit that I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to judging myself.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
What a crew we have here.   :)    Desert Dude ,you can go in my place although i have never been. You would fit right in! ...let me guess you shoot lightweight bow?

It's always touchy subject on this board if you question a man's bow weight no matter how the thread starts out.

I apoligize to Eric about my "unamerican" comment. otherwise I have got 24 hours to learn JuJitzo(sp)with 2 little league games tonight..that ain't going to happen.

To put on a shoot takes alot work. I,like a few of ya'll have done it dozens of times. it's a thankless job. But dang the guy that leaves his hunting bow at home and brings his light weight target recurve and whimpy arrows to score well at a Bowhunting Setup tournament.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Joey, You are a heck of a fisherman--------look at all the bites with just one bait !!!
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
sorry while you all were havin a coffie talk throw down i was out shooting . there is too much on the table for me to get started at this time im gonna collect my thought s and get back to ya .
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
I shoot my longbow that I hunt with at any 3D shoot I go to. I wouldn't care if everyone else was using a rifle, I would still be happy shooting my longbow. I guess I don't really care what anyone else is using.
Just have fun.
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I've never shot a 3D competition...  I only shoot my hunting bows and with only broadheaded arrows 98% of the time..

I am a bowhunter, not a bow shooter...  Trying to win a ribbon with a 30# bow is fine and I'm all for it for everyone else..
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Dawn Patrol, i met you what almost 19 years ago at a big bow shoot in Fa. There were what 11 of us trad shooters out of 2500 shooters? I won the traditional class on the last day last target.I beat Ron Weatherman ( the finest traditional bowhunter/gentleman/trad archer i know) by 1 point. Wayne Pearson handed me a check for $17.51... I turned Traditional Pro that day.    :D   I spent all that money on a seafood buffet at Holiday inn leaving Jacksonville Fl that night...shot 68# with 2317..can some of ya'll believe that......enough about me but to show some of ya'll , i do have an opinion because i have been around the coarse before....where is Ron Weatherman? You would not catch Ron dead with a target bow at a trad shoot.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
Yep you guessed it right, all my bows are right at 57/58# at my draw Joe....   :goldtooth:  

For years I shot bows with highter poundage but found with the modern strings, arrows, and bows.
 Upper 50's is all I need...

I would love to go Joe, but not in your place. Maybe meet up there and have a blast shooting 3D's and not givin a hoot about what others shoot.   Just a thought.......

Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©