3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?  (Read 7679 times)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
As long as you go to shoot for the fun of it why should what others are doing bother you?You did not come to compete so why in the world would someone else shooting for score rain on your parade.   :confused:

No one twist your arm to turn in a score card.They don't care if you shoot from the stake or move closer as long as it is safe and you are not scoring.What happens to shoots is people whining about what someone else wants to shoot.The ones that always make the most fuss are those that don't turn in a score card.Come have fun with friends ect and quit worring about the next guys choice in bows, arrows ect and you will always have a better day.   :thumbsup:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Gatekeeper..I started this thread NOT about score......not about IBO.....not about salt earth trad bowhunter getting beat by shiny 35# 68" target recurve......It's not about who WINS......it's about In Your Oppinion does allowing Target Style resemblence equipment change the fabric of the crowd at these shoots now and in the future? so lets have it?
No. Not for me or any of the guys I shoot with.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Traditional Bowhunters are a tricky crowd, James. I know from first hand dealing with them from an organizational point of view years ago being President of a very very large one....However Traditional Archers are not. They are more forgiving   :)   In 20 years , will the Traditional Bowhunter in large be absent from the "Traditional" shoots.?....Just curiousity James, is the bow you shoot 3-d with, the bow you hunt with? Have you killed a deer with it?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Joe I shoot every kind of bow for 3d and hunting.Anything from selfbows to my ilf metal risers depending on what class or classes (some allow you to shoot in more than one)I am shooting in that day.They are all the same to me once you get to full draw. :)  

Yes I have killed stuff with most every bow I own except for maybe a couple of new ones that have not been hunting yet.I typically shoot more weight at 3ds than I hunt with however so some bows don't hunt much any more.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
I am a bit new to this but how about having a category for hunting set up only. This my have been suggested already?
I am a trad hunter but if I were shooting for dough and prizes I would mostly shoot my most accurate set up be it hunting or target. As for me all I have are hunting set ups but then I don't shot for prizes or cash..    :archer2:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Bush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Both.  I just love to shoot.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
The trouble with have a hunting class is someone would have to tell you what to hunt with.   :D  We don't all hunt with the same thing.Some would call my hunting bow a target bow if it looked any different than there bow.That is really what all this is about anyway.Rejecting any others choices if they don't fit your mindset of what is a "real hunting setup".   :biglaugh:

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
I try and stay away from defining others based on my morals, ideals, or whatever.

A few weeks ago I was shooting in a 3d shoot in a group of compound guys, all of which are good buddies.  I had a trad group behind us tell me I was shooting with the wrong folks...

I am a hunter, what I use in the process of that is no less trivial than the skivies I am wearing at the time.

We have enough folks trying to divide our ranks, let's not help their misguided cause...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
here we go again...It is not about dividing ranks,culling equip, elilist attitude... yada yada boo boo?

This thread is about the changing crowds at 3-d shoots. Is one crowd, because of equipment choices, causing the other to dwindle? Or Are we seeing the shoot paradon change where the old "bring what you hunt with crowd" is leaving their hunting bow in the car and shooting a 3-d bow (light weight,long length light arrows, maybe metal somewhere). Any of ya'll leave your hunting bow in the car to shoot your 3-D Traditional Bow?  Why?

James, in Ga in the 90's they would let someone shoot a bow under 40# but they had to wear a pink halter top all day.....they still may require that......  :biglaugh:

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Trad archer first, bowhunter second - I never shoot for score anymore.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Must have been tough back them Joe.Bad enough getting beat by guys shooting 40lb bows but even worse when they did it with pink halter tops on.   ;)   No wonder you won't them to bring different bows today.   :biglaugh:

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
I would imagine it is that there are more archers out there, but not necessarily more bowhunters.

Compound guys whine about target rigs to.  If you care about the score, and believe that the person that just mopped the floor with you did so because of non camo limbs or lighter weight follow suit or call the waambulance off.

I personally rarely shoot target shoots as none are near me and traveling to them counts against my numbered days of hunting.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Who said they beat Me  :) .....no one did in 93'   :biglaugh:   But i'm a Toby Keith song now..Batman would mop the floor up me now..i would hate to think what John Dill could have done back then.......I have actually done a reverse..I have gone up in weight, physically and bow..my goal is too keep in shape and hunt with a 70# at 70...got 22 years ahead of me

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Joe, I don't see any target archery bows here at our shoots (yet). Of course you know we are a little slow and backwards here in Kentucky and are just now learning to wear our shoes when we go outdoors.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
I hear ya.  I know that I have never personally considered having a non hunting bow for shooting foam, but I only shoot to hunt.

If we had more shoots close by I would shoot more, but when I only get "x" number of days free to hunt each year infind it hard to cash in a hall pass to shoot targets, though it is fun.

I shoot the king Arthur shoot in San Diego one year and I'd bet 2/3 of those folks had never hunted.

I am hoping we see the fruits of NASP here soon in the woods and on the ranges.

Go get em tiger...

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Who said they beat Me   :)  .....no one did in 93'    :biglaugh:  
Need to get out more Joey  :biglaugh:
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
Probably Shooters like you Rod would have retired me earlier!! Keith Bane, Tsosos, John Hood, Biggie Hoffman no scratch Biggie..he was best game shot out there..not foam.............keith karr going to comp me a lesson from you.     :)   .......i need a new release...  

On another note...with today's state of the union at 3-d shoots,I'm thinking about building a longbow for Batman...72" 38# at 28" and mass weight 8#.....shoot some 250 grain arrows tuned to 32" with point on at 25yards....I'm going to call it the Smokin Joe....he's begging me too and would wear the halter top in GA........

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I aint never been to Ga. Just been through there. Oh except one time a gig in Lagrange. Thats a long way from any where, just like New Bern.
Joey, you need to come to a shoot where James Wrenn is. Best dutch oven cook you ever seen. I'm talkin desert and the whole 9 yards. also a great guy who could care less if you got a flipper or cliker or a chicken head on your bow. LOL.

If you are making me a bow, make 3, one for me , Biggie and Marty, we can have a shoot off next time we all get togather.

You need to sell some drywall and quit pissin these boys off. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Oh by the way. Last time I went through GA . I got stopped at the state line by the Law. Seems they thought I was smugggling in educational material. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
I don't know about the chicken head Don!   :scared:  

As long as it don't stink I am ok with it however.   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©