3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?  (Read 7677 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Eric -thor wrote  "none of us should be attending a shoot to win".  Thats the most un-american thing i have ever read on this board........
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline larryh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
too many people worry about being "trad", whatever that is, and too few people are concerned with being good archers.
nobody should be concerned what another archer is using in the enjoyment of archery.
ive been shooting a bow and enjoying archery since the early mid fifties.
i'm glad i'm not "trad", but am happy i am an archer.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Some of us are talking about the trees while others are talking about the forest.......Nothing will kill the future participation of a Traditional Bowhunting Shoot from the participation of  "salt of the earth" traditional bowhunters than allowing recurve target bow crowd.......I have seen it happen countless times from local to state to national tournaments. Basically your silent majority trad. bowhunters will fade off taking your revenue away. Nothing against the target guys, bowhunters want to be around bowhunters.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
"Thought"  
"A day spent shooting your bow at 3D targets with new and old friends"

How could you find a way to complain about that?

"[dntthnk]"
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
I am primarily a hunter and all practicing and competitions I do are for hunting.  I have never had a target bow and only use what I hunt with.  I don't care about winning....I want to be more effective in the field.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
The only reason I go to ANY shoot is to practice shots I may get in the field.  I like the fact some 3d shoots have things stretched out.  Makes closer stuff easier.  The only thing I am competing against is myself.  Although, I have some compound friends I shoot the DART system with every now and then...it is VERY satisfying to give them a run for their money.  I've never beat them yet, but shooting for an hour at 20 yards it is hard for me to keep the total concentration the whole time.

Joey--you all set on thatr stuff we traded phone messages about Friday?

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
I shoot 3D and Field Archery with the same bow I hunt with.  For me it's all about practice for the purpose of cleanly taking an animal's life.  So I guess I'm a Trad bowhunter first and foremost.  What the next guy is using couldn't be more irrelevant to me.  To each his/her own, and just enjoy your sport, whatever equipment you choose.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
I get what joebuck is saying. I'm a traditional bowhunter. I shoot 3Ds like a traditional bowhunter, my gear reflects traditional bowhunting. I'm always in season shooting at something.

I love 3Ds but it is all in preparation. I always imagine I'm on a stalk.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Iam a trad bowhunter I shoot 3-d all summer but 3-d dose not reflect my hunting shots.Idont shoot at animals over 18-20 yds 3-d courese are set to far in most cases.for me 3-d is a b.s session an to go have fun.my hard core pratice is done in my back yard where I can think about my form an shot placement.I need quiet when I pratcie just like when I hunt.Idont care about my score . I care about how many deer I am going to be eating this winter

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
I've been shooting longbows and recurves for 50 years. Have NEVER shot a compound.

Have always been a hunter and always will be.

When I attend a shoot of any kind I use the same equipment I would be using when hunting. When I was younger (20s and 30s), I attended shoots with the intention of winning. And many times did, even against compound target shooters.
I never cared what others were shooting and still don't. Always have tried to do my best, and still do. Nowadays because of my eyes not being as good as they once were I have problems with the longer shots. But I still try and do my best and turn in my scores. Still shoot 50 to 90# draw weight even at shoots, can't remember shooting under 65# at any shoot in the last 10 years.

Don't expect to win many if any these days, but I'm still competing against myself. Any time I do well I'm happy. Doing well these days is being in the top 20 at any shoot, and I'm still there quite often.

Enjoy yourself at any shoot. If you don't want to compete against target set ups, find a shoot that offers different classes and shoot there.

Most all shoots I've attended lately have classes and stick to them. This makes the archers equal equipment wise.

I don't expect to shoot against an Olympic recurve shooter and win, but it sure makes me feel good to shoot almost as well as them with hunting equipment. And it impresses them when I can come close to their score without using sites and all the other garbage they use!   :archer:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I agree with Killy as usual. I view the entry fee's as payment for using someone else's targets and also paying them for the time and effort it takes to put them out and put them away, as well as all the other time and energy it takes to put on these events. You may want to ask your buddy to think about that for a while and if he still doesn't agree he should organize his own shoot.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I just go for the food and to see what the other "archers" are wearing , but what do I know I am not a bow hunter, I am a catfish "noodler"
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
I went to a shoot that, because I was shooting carbons that day, put me in the class with Olympic shooters, berger buttons, stabilizers, etc. etc. So I shot anyway and didn't turn in a score. I was with friends and didn't care about the score. (Well, ok, we were still having a fun competition against each other).    :D   I've actually won a bunch of these events but was home by the time someone called to say I won. (I only regret not getting a nice trophy from one-I have a third place one I WAS there for on my mantle). I go there to have fun and practice for bowhunting. In fact, some friends and I have only been scoring "kill, wound or miss" and only count what would be the actual kill shot, not what it says on the rings (target 3/4 away etc.). However, if you don't enjoy a particular shoot for whatever reason then I'm fine with your not going. Unfortunately, if you think you are making a statement it will probably go unnoticed unless a group of you write some letters etc. which may or may not be worth it.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:

I think it's a little sad that his opinion of the shoot was spoiled just because of the equipment other folks were using. Who the hell cares what ayone else is doing?

Maybe your bud needs to be a little more open minded Joey.
Not to bust your gonads, or start any arguments, but compounds aren't allowed at traditional shoots, if we didn't care what anyone else does, why not let them shoot at a traditional shoot.  I know they weren't shooting compounds, but all rigged up recurves aren't far from it.  I can understand where the guy was coming from.  I don't do anything for competition, it all matters when I go hunting.  Either I win, or I loose period.  So I guess that makes me a Trad bowhunter.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Eric -thor wrote "none of us should be attending a shoot to win". Thats the most un-american thing i have ever read on this board........

joebuck: i said alot more than that . sorry you missed the point.
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
They are called shoots, not "hunts". Don't think a grilled Mackenzie target would even taste good with A1 sauce. Gotta go with Robtattoo and Kentucky TJ on this. I go to the shoot for myself and son, I could care less if the other fellow is shooting a bent broom handle with fence wire. BTY, Thomas that was funny...  :D
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
I can somewhat agree with joebuck and can understand not wanting to go back to the shoot.  If the folks with the target bows on a 3D course are shooting like some of our compound brethern - taking a long time to shoot, backing up the course, being overly concerned with score - that does detract from my enjoyment of the shoot and I may not go back to it.  That's the main reason why I don't attend many mixed compound/traditional shoots anymore.  Fortunately where I live in PA affords me the opportunity for my fill of traditional only shoots.

For me personally, I would never own a target recurve just because I think they are ugly and I got into traditional archery to get away from all the gadgets. (Like Zipper Bows say - Life is too short to shoot an ugly bow).

Now having said that, I would also never question someone's bow choice (even compound) as long as we can joke around, laugh at each other's missess, congratulate each other's good shots, and have a general good time on the 3D course.  I've got a buddy a work who is a die-hard speed freak compound guy and I am starting to realize I'll never convert him to the purity of the longbow, but he is still a barrel of laughs to shoot with.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Guys I don't care what people shoot or don't shoot. I hunt and prefer to do so with a bow and that necessitates the most realistic practice possible and 3-Ds are part of that equation.

What I don't cotton to at shoots are guys beinging negative. Seriousness is OK. Let's have fun. "I've never had to take back something I didn't say"
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
I'd like to see somone write the definition that would be accepted by all, that seperates the "trad bowhunting" equipment from evil recurve target equipment. You know - the stuff that will cause the downfall of trad bowhunting.

If you are there for  hunting practise, how could the equipment others shoot have any effect on you whatsoever?

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
My little league coach said to us one time, "Were out here to have fun, but I aint never had fun getting my ass kicked". As Ive grown older, Ive come to agree. When I go to a 3D shoot, I go to see folks I haven't seen for a year or more. To see all the cool bows that are being made. But when I step up to the stake, I there to try to beat everybody else who is there. Don't get me wrong , I have fun and Joke around with the group, but I want to win. It's been a problem for me as of late though, since John Dill seems to show up and bump me out by a pt or 12. I love 3D and I love hunting. I ususally shoot my hunting set up all year. I like the IBO rules where they separate the high tech guys but who cares. Most of the top shooters at the shoots I go to, would welcome a chance to flog a high tech guy. not saying we would , but If he shot in our group and won, we would shake his hand and move on. DB

By the way Joey, another 200 thread in the works?
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©