3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?  (Read 7676 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?
« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Well, my two cents worth won't make much difference, but here it is anyhow... Everybody is getting too worked up about who shoots what and why. It is simple - people shoot what they like simply because they like it. None of us has the moral right to pass judgement on what the other guy wants to shoot. The main focus should be to have fun, so let the gung ho target guys go to the 3D shoot to be competitive and win trophies. Let the bowhunter go to work on mastering his hunting rig. Either way, it's all good!

Personally, I don't really equate 3D shoots to any realistic hunting scenario, but it does make me think in terms of hunting. For example, a life-like target helps me to focus on picking a spot in relation to a specific animal's shape.  

We are all very enthusiastic and feel that our own perspective is probably more correct than many others. Just remember that the others  feel they have have the inside track on how this whole thing should be approached.  The best part is that everybody is right. Go to the shoot and compete at whatever level floats your boat, and it makes no difference if you are competing against the Cadillac rig, or competing against yourself. Just look for the fun.

Actually, you can compete at both levels at the same time. No matter how hard you compete against the other guy and his equipment, you still must compete against yourself in order to maintain form, concentration and discipline for each shot.

In the final analysis, my view is that the most significant aspect of any 3D shoot has nothing to do with competition. Rather, it is the chance to interact with other trad shooters. It gives one a chance to meet a lot of really nice folks.

I apologize for being too verbose.
Sam

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: June 10, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Now we getting some where..i have throughly enjoyed reading the last several pages.........I told my "infamous" friend "the one at the start of this thread"...that i was in a time warp

i did not attend a 3-D shoot really from 1998-2008 except 1 and only 2 since then.......But Man I have noticed how it has changed

i think there is and going to be a growing market for "custom traditional 3-d bows"....heavy mass riser and long limb stuff. You'll probably see more oversea stuff from companies like WinWin and also your Custom bowyer here offer some new models....Quite frankly we probably will own more bows!

The traditional only shoots sprang up in the mid 80's for the need for Traditional bowhunters to meet somewhere and have their own shoot and not wait on the compound guys. It was an exciting and fun time to be in it. It's probably staggering the % of traditional bowhunters that go to Trad shoots versus compound hunters that go to compound shoots.....There are various reason for compound participation downfall but i hope we don't fall into that............so with all that being said.............I have started sanding down my 72" 35# longbow form...the Smokin Joe Signature........I'm hitting the 3-D trail with my 3-D bow next year....first stop...the State of NC...i hear that is where the competition is..........And i ain't shooting for FUN
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Over a year ago I thought I would join my University's archery club, but was extremely disappointed when I was met by sideways glances and snide remarks about my bow. Everyone in the club used sights and gadgetry, though the recurve archers were more apt to comment on how 'beautiful' my bow was and were impressed that I was able to get an arrow to fly straight, let alone go where I wanted it to (the compound archers rarely spoke to me). I didn't feel at all welcome (the coaches encouraged me to install sights on my beloved bow), and at tournament I think I would have been considered more of a spectacle than a competitor. Eventually I quit turning up, because the feeling of unity that I found on tradgang, from my mentors, and at 3D trad shoots was simply nonexistant in the club (it was just NO FUN). Just remembering the energy of that place makes me so grateful to have found traditional archery through tradgang and its members.

I must confess that I haven't shot my bow in a year (because I've been abroad - looking forward to getting my hands on it again in a few weeks)...but all of this time I have still thought of myself as a traditional bowhunter because for me it is a mindset. It is about relying on myself and my ability, focus, and skills, not about technology or competition. I want to be the best that I can be so that I can hunt humanely and have a great time.

I hope I'm not too off-topic on this one...I get a little nostalgic remembering my first 3D shoots! I have learned so much from meeting different people (with different shooting styles) at those events!

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
Hollywood is making a Horror movie;

"Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?" The thread that would never Die!
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
It's been said that a target archer can always hunt,  but a hunter can't always target shoot.  I do both with both kinds of bows.  I enjoy archery at it's best whether it's hitting a spot, or taking of game.  As far as glitter bows,  you got to look good if you miss!  LOL

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2010, 01:39:00 AM »
Your friend went to an archery shoot not an archery hunt. Many of us like to shoot with a certain crowd. I only attend certain shoots for that reason. I love traditional archery, and I shoot the gear I like. Others shoot what they like. When you go to a shoot, you have to expect that sort of thing.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Edge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2010, 02:16:00 AM »
"top of the line gazillion $ bow"

While I find the rest of this thread perfectly on the up-and-up,I feel compelled to inform you that the quantification of "gazillion" is most widely accepted as a *fluid* measurement,not one of monetary assignment.

And yeah,the above should be taken with the SAME grain of salt.....

Heres my take.

Hunters would be far better off bringing their hunting rigs to a 3D course,to enhance familiarity with their rig when it matters(on game).Those who dont hunt can win with their whiz-bang 3000's;while they spend their weekends polishing trophys and eating sushi;I'll be providing grilled backstraps for my family and friends.

Anyone who wins at 3D with their whiz bangs in the summer and consequently gutshoots their quarry with their hunting rigs in the fall,should really take up needlepoint.

Edge
It went where I was looking,just not sure why I was looking at the beer fridge.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Nobody who shoots their hunting rigs at 3d ever gets a bad hit on an animal?

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: June 11, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
The guys that usually win any 3d around here can do it with any bow you put in there hand.Can hunt and kill deer with anything as well.:)It is the shooter not the color of his bow that scores.

I am a firm believer in shoot what you got.Outside of using sights I can't see having all the rules myself.Do it that way and if someone thinks Joe-blow is whipping them because of his bow or rest all they have to do is go get one just like his.

You see all kinds of different rules everywhere you go.Some don't want you to use carbon arrows.Some tell you how much center shot your bow can have ect.The list goes on and on depending what the good old boys in charge things gives them an edge. :)

After setting the range at our club the last few years and hearing all the suggestions and complaints I have come to see that the ones that complain the most are the ones that don't turn in score cards anyway.Most can't shoot and are not going to be competitive no matter what rules you set.Another thing I have noticed is that when one of those shooters starts getting better and learning to shoot they quit all the complaining.They finally realize at our typical distances we shoot the man is doing the shooting,not the bow.   :biglaugh:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
There is nothing wrong with being competitive, wanting to win, and shooting whatever setup gives you the best chance to do that if that's what you want to do, so long as that setup conforms to the rules of the game.  Many of those guys who win (and shoot those rigs) are also some of the most successful hunters.  Shooting a lighter bow helps develop good form, and that translates to better accuracy when hunting with a heavier bow (if you even feel the need to use a heavier bow for hunting).  I used to hear these same comments when I shot 3D with compounds and my space-age, raygun looking setup.  Problem was, I could have creamed all the grumblers with my 70lb hunting bow, too.  All it was was an excuse for people who did not shoot as well as I (and others) did.  If you want to shoot heavy hunting bows and have a good time, that's all good, but don't grumble about those who have elevated their shooting to another level and want to win.  There is room for all of us in this sport.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
I got my first Trad bow in the fall of 2008. I shot that bow all summer long at every 3D shoot I could make with the way I work. From the first shoot to the last shoot I went there to win my class as well as learn from fellow Trad shooters the finer points of this type of archery. I did win the first shoot I ever shot in with the longbow and placed in all of the others except 2 that summer. I figured I would do my best to make good shots and pratics my form as well. I will try to win every time but my main goal is to hit every target where I'm aimimg. I have never taken a trophy as I have plenty of them from my compound days. But this much I can tell you, I know that all the shooting I did that summer is the reason I was able to pull off two killing shots with that same bow this past hunting season. I shoot to get better and to win every time. That's just how I roll. I want to win at everything I do no matter what. It's not about the trophy it's about giving your best effort everytime you drop that string. Anything else seems like a waste of time and effort. I shoot the same setup at 3D as when I hunt outside of the points. That's my 2 cents worth......PS: I'm both and will always hunt with Traditional equipment from here on out......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
These shoots are tournaments with trophy's or pins. Many of the competitors come to win and their equipment is specific for that purpose.  If the equipment is giving an archer an undue advantage, classes need to be redefined or the individual complaining that they are losing due to equipment needs to change their equipment to be more competitive.

I personally use my hunting setup or a lighter bow to work on form. I am a little above average shooter and do not turn in my scores. I go to these shoots to have fun and have camaraderie with friends and fellow archers.

As long as these shoots have winners, competitors will do whatever they can within the rules to win. You just need to decide why you are going and what you are trying accomplish.

Offline Bosco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
There is no "in between" for me.  Either you enjoy the challenge created by limiting yourself, or you can put a Nikon 3x9 on your shelf and shoot 80 yards at running animals.  Being traditional is serious business, and every part of it demands sacrifice, respect, and willingness to level the playing field for all included.

"Tech guys" arent welcome at my campfire.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention when I made my earlier post is that in a typical tournament, I will shoot about 100 shots.  In a typical day of hunting, I will shoot 1 shot, if I'm lucky, at an animal, and maybe a dozen or so shots at pinecones or whatever.  I can easily shoot 13 accurate shots, spaced out over a day, with my 60# hunting bow.  If I want to shoot 100 accurate shots, I need to shoot a lighter bow.  It would do my shooting no good whatsoever, whether for hunting or target shooting, to go to a tournament and spray arrows all over the target for the last 2/3 of the targets.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
The guys that usually win any 3d around here can do it with any bow you put in there hand.Can hunt and kill deer with anything as well. :)    
Whole lotta truth right there!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bosco:
There is no "in between" for me.  Either you enjoy the challenge created by limiting yourself, or you can put a Nikon 3x9 on your shelf and shoot 80 yards at running animals.  Being traditional is serious business, and every part of it demands sacrifice, respect, and willingness to level the playing field for all included.

"Tech guys" arent welcome at my campfire.
Or the definition of "elitist".

I'll wager its a lonely campfire.

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Dang Joey....... Only 64 more to go and you too can hunt at Marty's for free!!!!!!!
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
I love to shoot 3D's and use the same equipment I hunt with, even though many think it may not be "Trad" whatever that is today.  I've been using a release due to bone spurs in my ring finger. Even though I can't turn in a score, I've been to several shoots in Ga, Al and TN the last two years.

Several folks have said it right - The guys winning the shoots with so called "target bows" will beat you with any bow and kill some critters to boot.

I've had several people say some very rude things about me using a release...You might as well shoot a compound, why don't you shoot two fingers, you don't hunt with that thing do you, and on and on. Still hasn't kept me from going.

I used to be very competive but, now go to the shoots for some good pratice and to enjoy spending time with friends and meeting new folks.
Keith Karr

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Keith,

Rude people just look for reasons to be rude. I once had a guy give me a verbal lashing on a 3D course, complaining that I held my longbow like a "recurve shooter," whatever the heck that was supposed to mean.

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
Jason, I know what you mean. If you hold your bow vertical, take longer than a half second to shoot and stand straight up you are not a Trad archer.

I have tried to be nice, even helped some of them look for their arrows in the leaves.
Keith Karr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©