3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?  (Read 7683 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
Never even saw one Joey  :D

Killed enough skwerls to fill a 55 gallon drum though (with a 60# longbow  ;)  )
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
2 last year - 4 the year before. All with a metal riser, plunger, rest and unweighted carbon arrow (195fps) that I shoot 3d with.

Still want the agreed on definition of the dreaded "target bow".

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
ROB   :notworthy:  you beat me on the squirrels.....they have my number!! and often
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
Steve B....IMO..a shiny ( only an idiot would hunt with a shiny bow) metal riser bow weighing in under 40#-45# with very light arrows...a bow that has never seen the hunting woods...

We never had a problem with Target guys at our shoots in Ga....we did 2 things....1st we quit giving away trophies and replaced them with broadheads...and second thing is we made them join the org. to shoot......ya'll still doing that TBG?  i hope so

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
Do you guys sleep?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
i rather do this than listen to my wife snore

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
if your name is joebuck and you mension you wife snoring on a stickbow web site ..."you might be a redneck" lol you r winning me over joe buck , slowly very slowly..  :saywhat:    :knothead:    :bigsmyl:
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
I can understand  why the guy was disappointed. He is a new trad bowhunter and thats what he was wanting to see. I remember my first "trad" shoot.I walked up to a small group under a tarp just in time to hear DD Quillen talking about a bear hunt he had done that year. I sat around a while listening to tales of deer and pigs and elk and bear......With stickbows.Until then I had never talked to more than two other trad hunters at one time. This Fella named Ronnie Weatherman introduced himself and I reconozed him from a picture in the TBG newsletter with a big Elk he had killed.Then I realized I was standing in the midst of my "heros" .....and they are all just regular folks that hunt with stickbows. Found out some hunted on this place called the "Paradise" down the road from home.I called it "Cooks Place".

My arrows were in a homemade deer quiver with boar cutters and Turkey toes  seperated by rabbit leg bones on a piece of leather.Folks commeneted on it specially the Turkey toes and would oohh and aahh about me killing a spring Gobbler with the recurve. I did`nt tell`m how many I missed. They Made me feel welcome and special and I felt like I had known them forever.THATS WHAT I WENT TO SEE....MORE BOWHUNTERS. If I had found a bunch of target archers I too would have been disappointed. I guess its all in what your after.

Joebuck, I had an off year last year with only 16 big game kills. Some only weighed 40 pounds though..lol.RC

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
i rather do this than listen to my wife snore
Me too. She's terrible, isn't she!   :laughing:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
100% what Gatekeeper said. Good thing some of you do not know about my varmit rifles. All shooters need to hang together.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2010, 02:39:00 AM »
Eric-Thor,

I would love to shoot a round with you.  How close is Mesa to Phoenix?  I am working on a javalina hunt near Phoenix in the next year or two.  Tricia's brother lives in Phoenix and I hear there are plenty of javelina north of phoenix about a 40 minute drive out of town.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2010, 02:53:00 AM »
joebuck,
Yeah I bring what I hunt with,,,it's a razzle dazzle multi purpose alloy riser ILF limbed recurve,,,exactly the bow which is being pointed at by you and your buddy.
I've been involved in this sport for close to 40 years now,and the back stabing and finger pointing has never been stronger than today,,,thanks joe.
I shoot 3D as a stand alone sport that has nothing to do with hunting for me,but I'll never judge,put down or try to restrict those that are there for different reasons to me.
I do shoot to win and my bow is my choice and nobody elses.
Anybody that doesn't like it,,well I won't miss their presence in the lest,,after all this sport chews up and spits out the pretenders with monotonous regularity,and in my experience the elitests are the first to go anyway,,,just as joebuck and his buddy have now proven for all to see.
So well done mate,,I wouldn't of stabbed myself in the foot in quite as public a fashion as you have,but I guess I'm commited to archery and your commited to,,,,looking trad ????
Good luck with that.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »
i started shooting bows and arrows in 1978...my 1st "real" bow was a Wing recurve with sights. I own and shoot two new metal handled   ILF 'curves . But i only hunt with straight limb longbows and wood arrows . Do i see these two weapons as based in  different sports ? not at all but I suppose at a stretch I could see people wearing camo, scent lures and hunting from tree stands as not very trad...
to be honest I couldn't care if you dressed as Bozo the clown and your recurve had a seven foot stabilizer hanging from it as long as you are a good fella / gal , hunt and / or compete with integrity and a and have at least some semblance that this sport under its many varied and wonderful variations is at the very least meant to be fun.
Ben "traditional archer who bowhunts " Maher
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline ranger42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
I take a deer every year!

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
I am a traditional bowhunter and shoot 3d for the fun and practice.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
Hey joebuck,
 I missed a couple deer last season but did make it happen on a small buck. I took squirrels, rabbits and declared war on the groundhogs that where in my garden last summer. I used my recurve or longbow and haven't shot a firearm at an animal for 2 years.

I've taken small game this year as well as 3 hogs on my trip to FL. last month. All with the same gear I shoot with at 3D. I'm not as successful as many with my bow but am having a ball.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Holy crap.....which group do I belong.....oh the pressure to belong....I guess I'll join batman and renew my ass kicking licence and challenge all with any kind of bow...in the woods or on the range.(LOL)  :biglaugh:  

Great thread Joey.....Have you heard from the Hoods on the revival of the Southeastern Classic?

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
A Target style bow now or then has absolutely no advantage over Traditional Bows on course set up for close hunting.....
The there should be no complaints.   ;)

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
just a couple thoughts I have that pertain to ME.
1)  to me hunting is not a "sport"  I have seen that term used a bunch here, 3d is a "sport"
2) I am a bowhunter and to hunt with a bow the recurve or longbow serves my purposes so that's what I use.

I  don't watch football because it takes place during bow season
I don't take "bow walks" I scout while carrying my bow for some stump shooting practise.
I don't have a "target" bow
I don't know what EFOC is
all my field points are not the same weight.
My family does not eat store bought meat, if I don't kill it we don't eat it !
I know how to sharpen my broadheads, and get my arrows flying good out of my hunting weight bow to make an ethical shot on game animals.
I am a bowhunter , "trad" or otherwise, don't really think about that much.
only reason I would go to a 3d  is to spend some time with my kids.  Don't fault others for their reasons, just don't hang around them much.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
I'm just a trad archer at the moment.  It's the most fun I've had in a long time (if my arrows are flying straight).
1Peter 5:6,7

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©