3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are U a Tradbowhunter or Tradarcher?
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
so here's my question...seriously .......how many of ya'll that posted actually killed a deer last year with a trad. bow ???
1 coyote / 56” Centaur 55# @ 29” with a 650 grain arrow

2 deer / 54” Shrew 55# @ 29” with a 650 grain arrow

1 rabbit / 60” Whip 55# @ 29” with a 650 grain arrow

1 pig a little over a week ago.   :bigsmyl:  56” Pronghorn 55# @29” with a 650 grain arrow

TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
See now you're just braggin' Gatekeeper   :banghead:
Mike Davenport

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Earthdog; Joey does not need me to defend him but I nust tell you he is one of the nicest,funniest guy I have ever known.
I had the please of shooting a 3-D contest with him over 20 years ago and My brother and I  laughed the entire day.
 Another thing you should know, he LOVES to stir the pot and watch folks get fired up.
If more people were like him I'd have more hunting buddys.
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
I shoot 3-D with plumber and his son on occaision so my philosophy agrees with his.  Good fun, no score, plenty of BS about hunting.

Don't really care what others shoot as long as they don't hold me up.  Don't care what the score is either.

I DON'T carry broadheads during these shoots as they are potentially lethal and as Murphy's Law dictates, anything can happen at anytime.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Most of the guys use their hunting set-ups to shoot 3D around here from what I have seen. I have only run into a few target archers at the shoots, but I'm OK with target recurves.

What I DID NOT care for was the superior attitude and rudeness some shooters displayed. Heck, one guy drove us all nuts. He HAD to "one up" everybody. No matter what a person said he  always had a bigger story to tell.

Long and short....lets be glad for the people that are shooting and being polite while having a good time regardless of what they shoot.

All that being said, I do shoot my 50lb set up for hunting and target. It gives a more realistic feel for me.

Just to stir the pot a bit....Last year I hunted with a recurve, muzzleloader, shotgun and took a few shots with a slingshot. I got ya'all beat, cuz I belong to the most groups!  :biglaugh:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
Can't we all just get along?

"United we stand divided we fall!" I give praise to a hunter who kills a big buck with a super duty Rifle just as quick as I do a hunter with a bow. It is this separtist attitude that is the cause of many different religions. It creates a rift among people with common beleifs and can turn a good day ugly.

I guess it is Human nature to have an elitist attitude and then try to get people to be on "our side".  Tell you the truth, it's not as much fun!!!!

I'll shoot with Billy bob with a string tied to a stick as quickly as I will shoot with Mr. President with a top of the line gazillion $ bow that is certaily the best of the best due to it's price.  

Fact of the matter is, I like to shoot my bow and surround myself with good company.

To answer your question, Both.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
JoeBuck quoted Eric-Thor:Eric-Thor wrote "none of us should be attending a shoot to win".

JoeBuck: That’s the most un-american thing I have ever read on this board........

First ---- JoeBuck – the A in American is CAPITALIZED!

Second ----- Joe Buck --- You took Eric’s comment out of context.

Here is his whole comment

Eric-Thor: “None of us should be attending a shoot to win but to practice our art and compete only against ourselves and our own limitations whether permanent or temporary and strive to advance our skill and understanding of this great sport we claim to be a part of”

My question: What is un-American about “competing, only against ourselves…to strive to advance our skill and understanding”?

The pursuit of personal perfection is not un-American. Beating another individual, in a 3 D shoot, in my opinion is trivial. Eric-Thor’s drive to improve himself is American. His struggle to be a bow hunter, which if needed, would put meat on the table; is AMERICAN.

The 3 D shoot is just a means to an end. As some of you know, I teach Martial Arts in Texas. I don’t do sport fighting. I don’t compete in sport Brazilian Jujitsu. Why? They won’t let me poke an eye out, rip off testicles, or tear out a throat. “Out wrestling” the other guy is not important to me. What is important is my ability to keep bad guys from hurting my family or yours. Or teaching Women and Children to get out of a bad guy’s grasp.

To me; a 3 D shoot is an opportunity to PRACTICE and to have FUN, not to compete. If, and I never have gotten close, win a 3 D shoot? Okay, cool.

But, that is not my goal.

BTW, 3 cups of Coffee and five hours sleep = Rant
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
YES!!  Ones Just Better Than The Other Sometimes!!  :laughing:    :archer2:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Cyclic...based on your comments...Isn't Excluding compounds at a Traditional Shoots be "Elitist attitude" also?.....

What BIG Shoots out there are "bring what you hunt with"?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I like that idea. Bring what you hunt with to shoot...seriously..it would be fun.

But...what if someone went Dukes of Hazzard and had explosive broadheads? Think they should shoot last?   :readit:  

:help:   It'spossible I need professional help...not sure though.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Raging Waters....Some of us do attend 3-D shoots to win.....some of us charged the beach at Normandy..........I practice almost everyday in my backyard, stump shoot alot in the woods.....I go to shoots to win, to compete. Thats why most are called Tournaments...Most recognize the skill of the competitors in some form or fashion.... Eric says i should not go to shoots to win..Why can't I? Furthermore if the only practice a guy gets is at a 3-d tournament....i would be skeptic of their game shot ability in crunch time....2 much 3-d can ruin a good game shot......
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Never even seen a real 3-D course.  Seems like golfing without the cart girl. Does look like fun though.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
I second Joebucks' last comment.  I personally cannot shoot lots and lots of perfect shots one right after the other. I can, however, shoot one good one 98% of the time from wherever I'm standing (within reason).
That being said, I am very competetive.  My competition are my compound carrying buddies.  If I out harvest them on a consistant basis, I win.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I can understand being "saddened" by seeing "new fangled" shooting rigs.  Every one has their own vision of what traditional is, and if your friend will deny himself the chance to shoot at someone else foam animals because he either doesn't like the sight or the scores of those rigs, more power to him.  In the end we all have to find what makes this sport/activity fun for us.

If he didn't have fun, he is right to not go again.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
I'm a bowhunter! I shoot targets for practice. 3-D is fun practice.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Joe Buck,

I agree, you can go to 3 D shoots and win. Good for you. But going to a 3 D shoot with the intention of "Competing Against Yourself" as Eric said, is not un-American.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Joe Buck,

BTW, I think your post was originally about "Bring what you hunt with" and not the good, the bad, and the ugly of a 3 D shoot.

I think your original point, is excellent!

"Bring what you hunt with" to a 3 D shoot is a good message.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline hawk4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
I use the same bow for booth the only thing I really have a problem with is metal risers on trad bows.
bill browning

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I love going to 3D shoots, weekly leagues or anything archery related! I go and shoot the courses to shoot good, if I win or whatever, all the better, that means I shot good. I don't go to a shoot to not shoot good! If you put the arrow in the vitals, not the x-ring, I'm saying vitals, your going to have a excellent score no matter what, that's what I strive for, kill shots! I shoot for kill shots every shot, it just so happens that you get more points than a body shot or miss! Lol! I love the beer drinkin and smack talking with good friends and family!  I use the same bow for everything and have killed deer every year I've hunted with my longbow!

I enjoy this to much to worry what the next guy shoots, hunts with or what he says about how I do things! There are negative folks in all walks of life, just got know BS when you hear it!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
You cant eat paper!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©