3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grips on Hill bows  (Read 1009 times)

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
grips on Hill bows
« on: June 07, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
i have only shot a hill bow a handfull of times and just cant get past the grip.  i like a high wrist, recurve grip.

i ordered a cheetah today and decided on the locator grip which i was advised to get since i like the recurve grips.  i also asked if i could get the grip smaller in circumfrence so i can get my hands around it.  

i have always seemed to get a lot of handshock due to the way i hold the bows.  i just dont feel comfortable with all the weight that low in my palm...feels like the top limb is gonna come back and pop me in the head.

i was also told by another well respected shooter that many go with the dished grip and not many went for the locator.

i ws torn, but still had the locator on my mind and went with it.  reckon i should have went with a dished???  i am second-guessing now.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: grips on Hill bows
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
They need to be heeled.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
From the ones I have seen the locator is not very pronounced and is not too different from a slight dish. Either way if you hold it like a high grip recurve your going to get shocked! Shooting the Hill bow requires a dedication to the bow and the style - it's not for everyone, but those of us that have taken the journey seriously have ended up loving them above all others. I personally like the straight best with the Shultz style slight dish coming in a close second - didn't like the locator much at all but there are those who do. It will probably serve you well coming from a recurve just remember to get that heel down even with the locator grip and you'll be fine!

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
i didnt see very much noticeable difference in the gips by the pics on the site.  is it really that much difference in the locator and the dished?

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Even the locator grip on a Howard Hill bow is a low wrist grip - still very different than the grip on most recurves.  I hope you aren't disapointed when you get it.  But give it an honest try and you might find you like it.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
My new-to-me HH Tembo has a sight locator grip. It's the 1st HH style bow with this style grip I've shot. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

I asked for a straight Hill style grip on my Mohawk Classic but also asked that the palm side not to be as narrow as the one other Hill Big 5 I use to own.

I can't detect much if any hand shock in this one.
It's 70" and 42@28 but shoots way faster than its weight.

I had to really work at it to not shoot over my target at 20 plus yards the 1st few shots because I had told myself that I needed to remember that it was afterall only 42#...lol

I'm learning to be in love all over again..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Stone Knife is right, they do want heel pressure.  I've had something over 30 Hills and made 20 Hill styles.  I started with the locator but it tends to move your hand pressure up.  I quickly learned to much prefer the straight grip.   I now make all my bows with only the straight grip.   Hills are wonderful bows... a challenge that is worth it if you meet them on their terms.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
When I first started shooting trad again 5 years ago I bought a used martin Savannah and shot that for a while, it had a grip that I more use to. Then I saw an ad from Howard Hill Archery and for some reason I had to have one, I never saw one first hand let alone had the chance to shoot one. I debated on what grip to get I second and third guessed what I wanted, finally deciding on a straight grip. I ordered the bow and it came about  four  weeks later, I strung it up and shot it   :scared:   I thought my fillings were going to fall out from the hand shock. I thought to myself what the heck did I get myself into now. It was at that point I made the decision to learn how to shoot the bow properly, that began my journey with a Hill. For a while that is all I shot I have strayed away some but keep going back to to my Big Five. When you get it the bow will teach you how it wants to be held if you pay attention and learn you will love it like no other. If you try to force it to adjust to your style it will scold you like no other bow can.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
I have a Jerry Hill with a dished grip, just some heel pressure like Stoneknife said and you should be fine. It might take a bit to get familiar with but give it a fair shot and you'll learn to like it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
I love mystraight grip Wesley Special. No shock at all, and very smooth and quiet.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
When you get it the bow will teach you how it wants to be held if you pay attention and learn you will love it like no other. If you try to force it to adjust to your style it will scold you like no other bow can.
I couldn't agree more!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
i sure hate to send him another e-mail tonight, but i may go with the dished....it actually looks more like some kind of locator

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
how is the riser cut on these bows?  i shot almost vertical and may need a touch more towards center cut.,......that possible?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
If you go with the straight it can be modified to any of the other two later. Mine has just enough shelf on it to accommodate a 11/32 arrow but i like 5/16 to gt me closer to center.

Offline mississippidave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
I have a sweet shooting Wesley Special with a straight grip.  The first time I shot it it jumped out of my hand....since then it's become my number 1.  I shoot it low wrist even thought I shoot my recurves high, straight wrist ala Asbel.  Same goes for a Cheetah I just picked up.  Both fine, fine shooters, accurate and quiet.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
Craig likes to make his customers happy, and will gladly change the grip on the order for you. Don't wait too long though, he builds them fast.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
gonna call him tomorrow at lunch...bout 9 there.
i dont want to bother him too much bout it.
may see if he can cut the riser out a touch more since i shoot more vertical than canted..i think they have a narrow shelf from what i remember

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Some guys love longbows others don't. It sounds like you may not like a longbow. It also sounds like you are trying to turn a longbow into a recurve. You said you only shot a Hill a number of times and can't get past the grip, but you ordered a new one. Why not just stick with the recurve. There is nothing wrong with that.    

"i have only shot a hill bow a handfull of times and just cant get past the grip. i like a high wrist, recurve grip.

i ordered a cheetah today and decided on the locator grip which i was advised to get since i like the recurve grips. i also asked if i could get the grip smaller in circumfrence so i can get my hands around it."

Good luck
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I agree with Gil.  None of the grips on a Hill come remotely close to being high wrist, not even medium wrist. If you shoot it high wrist, it won't make any difference which grip you get because you'll only be using the top one inch of it.  It is possible to shoot a Hill high wrist, of course, but it's not designed to be shot that way. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Offline Wrangler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Well, as you can see from the replies, you will be required to make a commitment to learning to shoot your Hill. The upside is that from day 1, I was totally in love. Absolutely the most fun bow I have ever shot and I'm having a ball learning to shoot it. I have a dished grip Cheetah, love it. I'm so accurate with this bow that I get ooohs & aahs from my wife when we shoot! I had to get her a Hill Bobcat, she loves it. We both also have recurves and hybrid longbows.
Allen

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©