3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grips on Hill bows  (Read 1008 times)

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grips on Hill bows
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
We have great fun shooting all kinds of bows...
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=089322

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I think TJ is ordering the bow because he smoked at the Howard Hill shoot in Alabama and actually won it. He ain`t a beginner.RC

Offline mississippidave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
That's right....Congrats on the win TJ.  That was some fine shooting under pressure!

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
Hill bows just can't be shot high wrist like a recurve--if you do that you will get hand shock.  They are designed to be shot heel of the hand down--low wrist.  You can't make a recurve out of one.  That's why there are so many hybrids--the idea of a longbow with the traits and grip of a recurve.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
The whole Hill riser is so much narrower than on recurves or hybrids that you don't want to get too close to center or you might remove too much wood for safety.  Fortunately, The Hill design seems to favor a narrow shelf.  I have ordered a couple of my Hills with no shelf at all and once arrows are matched, they shoot off the hand just as well as any other bow.  I make about 1/3 of my bows ambidextrous, i.e. with no shelf.  Lefties often find that they can shoot a buddie's Hill fine off the hand with a softer spined arrow.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
i sent an e_mail to mr. craig and gonna hopefully change to the dished grip.  i think i can adjust to it...i will find a way to shoot with it for sure.  i have always wanted one and now is my chance, but never felt like i could grip it like it should be..again, now is my chance for that.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Dick I admire how you lead by example! That's one of the main reason that when you speak I have the same faith as stock buyers have in EF Hutton.

I mean I believe that you've done or tried it and while my experience might end up being different than yours I trust your findings to be very helpful to me in my journey.

Now if I can just figure out how to explain how I want the part of my handle area that fits into the wed of my hand just a scosh/skosh(whatever)
wider than I've experienced on standard straight gripped Hills...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
well i changed the grip to dished and didnt mention the riser..sont want to aggrevate a busy man too much.  i am sure it is a great bow and i will give it all i got when i get it!
cant wait either...got 2 on the way now!!!  time isnt moving fast enuff....

nother qiestion...these bows ff compatible??  waht string comes on them? i have read/heard of improvements by changing the strings.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Lay off the coffee your spelling is getten worst than mine...LOL Ask them what they recommend for strings when you get close to getting them.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
TJ, if you don't like it, there will be a line of folks willing to take it off your hands.  What length/weight did you order?

Congrats on the good showing at Tannehill!  You make us GA boys proud.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Fountain, yes, you can use FF strings on them, although Craig has a hunch it shortens the life of his bows, but just a hunch.

Me, I'm a cautious stick-in-the-mud, and just shoot Dacron strings on my Hill. It works and feels fine, and the arrows still hit the pigs hard.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by fountain:
well i changed the grip to dished and didnt mention the riser..sont want to aggrevate a busy man too much.
I don't think you can aggrevate Craig actually, I ask him hundreds of questions in email each week and he patiently answers each, even to the point of giving away trade secrets.  He is all about customer service, even if you just buy bamboo and glass from him.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
definately dont want to damage it in any way or even take the risk..thats what is so great about the net...if i dont know the answer.. i can always count on fellow trad gangers coming to my help!!  thanks for all the info guys...still learning bout hill bows.

apex i got 66"..57, 58, 59....anything in that range @ 28, 3rd lam of boo added. horn tips and ebony riser and juniper lams with dished grip...like RC's new bow pretty much.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
That sounds amazing!!! the juniper is so pretty.
Michael

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
I have Wesley Special, I don't notice any hand shock, not sure what grip it is either.
 What is low & high wrist anyway???

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
You're gonna' love that stick!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
High wrist is when the web of your hand is leaning into a locator or recurve style grip.  Low wrist is when you hand the whole meat of your hand on the grip, like on a Hill style bow.  Heeling I think it is called.
Michael

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
The reason why holding Hills a certain way is so important is that it affects the bow alignment during the draw, which in turn affects 'hand shock'.  The bow limbs, string and angle of the draw hand should all be lined up before shooting, with the eye over the arrow.  Alignment starts with the hand on the grip and the better you set the grip the less chance of torquing the bow and so the less vibration at release, even with lighter arrows.  Solid hand contact on the grip is an important and GOOD thing for Hills, as long as the contact allows the riser to stay controlled and in-line though the release.  Gripping the bow the 'right' way changes a little from shooter to shooter because every person is physically different, but the alignment concept always applies.  So, although 'handshock' is potentially greater for Hills because of their lower mass in the riser and higher mass in the limbs, it can be minimized by holding the bow the proper way.

Hills aren't for everyone but when (if) you finally find a grip angle that works for you they are about the 'most funnest' bow you can shoot.  And I say that having owned (and still do own) many of the 'preferred' models both longbow and recurve (Widows, Morrisons, Pronghorns, Shrews/Griffins, 21st Century, Thunderhorn, lots more).  Hills will either grow on you to the point of addiction or make you wish you stayed with that cute n' comfy little recurve that 'handshocks' something like a mouse fart on a marshmallow.  Comfy yes, but also just a little boring.  If you do try a Hill and decide you don't like it you can always sell it.  But, you might want to keep it awhile and experiment with that grip style recommended by Hill shooters.  Sometimes the 'Hey, that's fun!" lightbulb pops on later than sooner.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
TJ -
You're gonna like the dished grip. Just get the heel of your bow hand down on the grip and don't try to choke the life out the handle with the rest of your hand.      :saywhat:    
That 66" Cheetah with the extra lam of bamboo will give it a smoother feel and probably add about 2 to 3 FPS. I've two Cheetahs and enjoy shooting them both. Although I'm leaning to favoring the 68" 60# 28" over the 66" 57# @ 28" TD. Due to the length, the 68" (to me)seems to have an easier feel than the 66". I've just twisted up a new Dacron string and replaced the FF I had on the 68" Cheetah. The jury is still out on my preference of FF vs. Dacron. Both are nice. Craig will supply a Dacron with the bow, unless you specify FF. The 66" TD has been with Craig for the last 10 days getting a new coat of paint and a fancy stitched black ostrich leather grip. Looking forward to getting it back. So are my other two Wesley Specials. They said it was lonely on the bow rack.     :D

Check this out. It will give you some info on the proper grip. (Thanks to Capt. Dick)

http://www.howardhillshooters.com/hillgrip/hillgrip.html
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©