3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frazzled  (Read 1410 times)

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Frazzled
« on: January 08, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
I'm burning the candle at both ends it seems. A few years ago I went to a Trad shop looked at some longbows even shot a few and knew this was for me. The bows I shot were around 45 -50 lb range. Several years passed and I thought of ordering a new recurve. This is the first traditional bow I have owned.

I received it this Christmas found this board and started asking some questions. A board member suggested I email him with my phone number as he could better explain over the phone.

Thanks MWM   :thumbsup:  upon his recommendation he suggested I measure my arrow from the nock and mark off 28 in., put a pencil line and attach a close pin. To see what my arrow length would be and draw ? Cant remember if it was draw, If not I apologise. Pretty slick information I thought.

Did that today and found when I reach my anchor (corner of mouth) the close pin is still 3in. in front of the riser. Does this mean I'm not pulling the whole 28 in. I have to admit maybe I made a mistake ordering my first trad recurve 59# @28.

Any suggestions as what to do are welcome and appreciated. I do want to enjoy shooting and develop good form and not pick up any bad shooting habits.
  :campfire:  
Thanks ,
Treeyelpr
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frazzled
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Buy a book on traditional shooting.  G. Fred Asbells' "Instinctive Shooting 1 and 2 ) are considered like the Bible of traditional archery style.  Study it and you can't go wrong.

Offline dougers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
all those numbers mean is that your bow is 59# at 28 inches.  if you draw less than 28inches as it sounds you do, you bow will draw less poundage. there is usually a set number of pounds per inch.  your draw length may not be 28 inches so that is nothing to worry about. im sure some other guys will post on this with a heck of a lot more knowlege than me, but iwanted to set your mind at ease a little.
live and die by shades of grey

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
The only mistake you made if if you positively have to have 59#.  The bow is undoubtedly fine, although some bows may be better between certain draw ranges, they all work from "not much" draw at all until over 30".  The only problem is that you will have less than 59# draw at your draw length.  This could affect your chosen arrow spine, or, it may not (shorter arrows are stiffer arrows, cut them to FIT).  Try it and see what you get, but you didn't make a mistake.
ChuckC

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
Hey Treeyelpr...Don't be upset...Many bows are marked with the industry standard...??#@28"...So if your bow is marked 59# @ 28" maybe you are pulling just over 51# @ your draw length...You will need arrows for that draw weight...

Alot of guys on this site know what's cooking and will be more than happy to help you along...Read some of the books mentioned and you will get a good start... :) ...

Good Luck!

>>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys. It's just a little disheartning to have it custom made at 59# @28in. When I was at the bow shop (several years ago)  I had the owner measure my draw length drawing back a longbow. He came up with a 28 1/4 in draw. Didn't think the 1/4 in was a biggie.     :campfire:

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
I have found that my draw length varies as I warm up sometimes almost one inch depending on how much you shot the day before(my draw is a little over 29 but first shot of the day after a lot of shooting the day before it seems to be around 28, you may have been cold esp if you havent shot a lot and you are sore(build up and muscle memory time). Also noticed that my left arm wasnt extending out all the way on sore days. stretch out your back and shoulders and warm up when you are first getting started.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
I have a woman friend, Tamure, that draws furhter than I. She issn't that much taller but she has long arms (and can shoot very well) Don't sweat it, have fun, and your next bow will be a little closer to what you thought you were getting.  Yes, you will have another.....
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
O.K. You measured 28" around two years ago...Might have used a REAL LIGHT DRAW WEIGHT bow at that time...Easy to pull past your ear...Know what I mean?...Whatever...

Bet you still love the bow you have anyway...At your draw length...Around 25"/26" you are getting 50# plus outa that recurve...You can put an arrow through anything alive in North America!...Just use a heavy arrow...

You are kinda new to trad archery anyway and want to shoot alot, right? Well, 59# may be too much for you to learn with...So don't beat yourself up over anything...Good Luck...

>>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Mike,
Your exactly right. :thumbsup:   When my draw was measured it was a light draw weight bow.  

Thanks for the confidence booster   :campfire:

Offline ibohuntwhitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
You probably did your self a favor without even really knowing it. You now have a 50# or so bow at your draw length which is about right to learn with and still be able to take hunting. I planned the same thing when I purchased mine 55# @28" knowing I was only going to draw around 27 making it about a 50# bow to me. I wouldn't worry to much about it. Get out there and have some fun don't worry so much about the details. Get a form that feels good learn to go with it and let them fly. Arrows go exactly where you tell them to.

Tom
COMPLETE NEWBIE!! FIRST BOW!!
PSE Impala 60" 55# @ 28"
29" 1916 with 5" feathers 100 gr.tips shooting of the shelf

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
I'm with the guys that say a lighter bow is better to start with, anyway. When you develop more back muscles, you'll brobably draw a little more to your true length. If I draw short on some shots I don't shoot nearly as weel as shooting with a 'full draw'.

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Over the past few weeks I have worked at drawing alittle shorter then normal. 29 down to 28. It has realy helped me get more consistant.

50#s is a great weight to start at.  

I know exactly what you are going through, I let my equipment get to me to, and man can it mess things up. Are my arrows to short? Is my grip the one I need? Is my bow to long? Do I need different arrows? I have let it drive me nuts in the past but not anymore and my shooting has never been better.

Good luck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©