3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who has hunted bison with a bow?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Who has hunted bison with a bow?
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to draw a bison tag here in Wyoming. I know they are a huge animal. My set-up will be a 60# Pronghorn, cedar shafts, and either 160 STOS, or 125 gr Woodsman Elite. With the 160 gr. STOS, my arrow weight is 650 gr. With the Woodsman, it will be around 615 gr.

What would you shoot? I dearly love the Woodsmans, and have taken tons of game with them from turkeys to elk. (the woodsman passed through on my last elk, 58# PH, 12 yard shot, old style wider woodsman) The WW Elite is a tad narrower. Should I use it? I have heard of other folks killing bison with a Woodsman? Would you? Or should I stick with the STOS on this hunt?

Thanks,

Tracy
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who has hunted bison with a bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Congratulations on drawing that tag.

If I were in your situation I believe I would shoot the STOS. I've only hunted whitetails and only ever used a three blade but with the size and what I guess is very large bone structure I would want the added penetration.

Whatever you choose I can't wait to see pics of your hunt.

Dusty

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Terry Green has.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
70# Morrison Cougar - 630 grain Arrow Dynamic - Wensel Woodsman - 2000# plus American Bison.....You can judge that set up with your own, and the fact that the Elite is narrower.

Either head would work fine IMO....have fun.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Dan White

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Last year a issue of TBH had a story about bison hunting in Utah I believe. I tried to find the article for you but could not. And I cannot remember what the author/hunters rig was other than he was shooting a Fox Royal Crown...sorry

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I would stick with the heavier arrow.  Bison are big animals and the extra weight can only help.  Both head would work great if razor sharp.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
I shot right through a decent Moose with a 670 grain cedar arrow with STOS BH out front from about 20 yards. That was from a 59# Pronghorn Ferret.

But that is not an American Bison either.

I honestly think they both would work, but for me it would be the STOS.

Do not take this as a knock on the Woodsman, I just have more experience with the STOS on larger than deer game and they have always worked. The woodsman is a great head.

DD

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Tracy we need to talk.   :campfire:
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I hear ya Doug, I shot through Shiras bull with my 58# Ferret, 145 gr. Journeyman Eclipse, around 545 gr. total arrow weight. Only 6 yards though.

I think moose are thinner skinned than bison. I really don't want any mistakes.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. I'd love to see more photos if anyone has them.

Tracy
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Very nice Tracy! Congrats o a great tag, wait didn't you draw a sheep tag too. Man you need to play the lottery LOL!! Good luck!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
Tracy: I am going this October to BC on a free range bison hunt.  My likely set up from bows I have are a 66# longbow, I have Douglas Fir shafts that should produce a 750 grain arrow, and I'll probably use 160 grain Grizzlys.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
Tracy I think your set-up should be fine.Razor sharp stos and put 'er where shes suppose to go you should have no problem.
SteveH,I'm originally from BC,I would imagine you'll be hunting the Pink Mountain herd.I know for a BC resident drawing a tag is harder than winning the Lottery,keep us posted,thanks Steve
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »
congrats!  This is a hunt I consider putting in for every year, and have yet to do it.  Still holding out hope on a moose tag.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with the woodsman, IMO, though the STO would work as all have said.  However, the only one with experience to this point is terry, and his Woodsman did fine.  

Good luck and congrats on the great tag!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
I shot one this winter with a BW PSR 56# at my draw weight, used a grizzly tipped ramin arrow that totaled out about 670 gr. Hit a rib going in and only got one lung. Second shot took her out. I would use the two blade myself but am sure the woodsman would work.

"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
I worked for Wind Cave National Park for 34 years.  In that time I gutted many bison that went down during our annual roundup.  Their hide is probably the thickest you will find on the North American continent.  That said, all of the bison that have been shot by friends and acquaintances using wheelies to selfbows have used 2 blade broadheads with good results.  My concern would be a not so good hit.  Such as putting the arrow in the curly front shoulder hair instead of the smooth hair behind the shoulder.  A 3 blade would have a tendency to tangle in the hair and lose momentum, which I have personally seen on mountain goats.  And that is where the heavier hide on the critter starts, on up through the shoulders, neck and head areas.
Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Just for clarification....(I was too tired last night after closing the Auction)....my posting here was for general equipment consideration by the topic starter.

My kill wasn't a hunt, but more a harvest.  And it involved a 2 blade that didn't penetrate  and a 3 blade that did....at a longer distance, and in the cape.

Not knocking the 2 blade....but just telling you the best laid plans don't always work....and to use what you have confidence in. That's pretty important in my book.

Dale Karch has killed at least one with the original WW and a 70# longbows as well.

Montana Longbow Adventure
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
My brother Mark took this one in Dec with a two-blade flint. 70# GN bush bow. The photos is of the head after the kill, and it's still usable. Like Terry said, confidence is key to any hunt. Good luck and have fun! They are great eating. Mike

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Wow. WITH FLINT!! That's cool.
I bet the curly shoulder fur would make great string silencers.
Romans 8:28

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
powduck- it does make great silencer material, I like it better than woolie whispers.

My setup was a 55#@26" longbow.
27" Beman venture/bowhunter shaft,100grn insert, 125grn magnus 2blade = 500grns arrow weight.
passthru shot @ 20 yards.
I wouldn't hesitate to use a Woodsman, they are just about the only BH I use now.
Remember to keep your shots in the lower third of the chest cavity, the hump area is deceptive.

Offline larryh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
i was asked by a friend to kill one horseback using his great grandfathers bow, 100 yr. plus sinew backed, unknown wood, and an agate head on a reed arrow that was about 70 years old.
since the kill was for tribal use and there would be a rifle there for a quick kill if i failed i did it.
was afraid to pull the bow back much at all in fear it would break, so probably managed around 40# max.
we rechipped the head and i shot him from about 2 feet exactly lined with the lungs.
he went about 40 yards, stopped and put his head down and fell over about 1 minute later.
enough penetration to get both lungs and also cut the big artery and he bled out fast.
the tribe let my buddy have the hide complete with the head and he has it on one of his walls with the bow and arrow.
i am not a stranger to killing buffalo and butchering them so knew where to place the arrow, and i was riding a good horse.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©