3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help findin brace hieght  (Read 291 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help findin brace hieght
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
I just got an Appalachain Savage River 58in take down recurve  bow 52 lb@ 27.  My draw is 271/2 .  It came with a new flemish sting that has streched. Appalachain archery is out of business,    :archer2:     how do I find out the brace hieght?
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help findin brace hieght
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »
I would just start at about 6.5 inches and work your way up.

Its kinda like taking vital signs.When the bow shoots quieter,with less handshock and feels sweet shooting your in the ballpark.

I dont think anyone can tell you exactly where that sweet spot is.Thier is often a recommended range though.Say from 6.75 to 7.5 for example.You have to experiment with the bow by twisting the string up and down for a few days and where ever it feels best at for your draw length,your release and the arrows you are shooting.

I sometimes go up and down a few times before I settle on where I like it how it feels and where the arrows seem to fly best at.

I would bet somewhere between 7 and 7.5 inches on a 58 inch TD recurve with rear/back mounted limbs

I never had a Savage river TD.Thier nice bows though

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
I agree with Steelhead we can throw you a number but it may not workout with that bow.start with the 6.5 and have patience and change after you shoot a bit with it.Make shore your form is good with every shot so you don't keep changing obsessively.Good luck Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
All things being equal a bows best performance comes from the lowest brace you can get w/o it going sloppy.  This is because the arrow is on the string the longest at this point.  To get there just take twists out until the bow goes sloppy and back it up a few twists until it feels good.  This will get you very near the sweet spot for you and then tune from there.  Even the same bow shot by two different shooters can have different sweet spots so play with it and you will find yours.

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Define "sloppy" for me please. Thanks.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©