3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Never Shot a Shrew  (Read 441 times)

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Never Shot a Shrew
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
I have been wanting too for quite sometime and hopefully in the next couple of weekends, I will be able to at Compton.
My question is this.
Compared to the tomahawk longbows how do they compare?  More forgiving, faster, quieter?  About the same?

I shot the biggest deer of my life with my tomahawk but I just cant get consistent with it and would like to either trade it in for a newer model T-hawk or trade it for a shrew if they shoot half as good as they look.  Any opinions out there?

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Never Shot a Shrew
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
From what I understand Ron be at Comptons but will not be having a booth this year. You should be able to find a few Shrews to shoot. I will at Comptons with a couple of my Shrews if you want to look me up. I've never shot one of the Tomahawks so I can't help you out with that part.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Reggie Catfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm curious how this turns outs- I'm interested in one, but am not sure about committing to a 15 month wait...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I had a Shrew (Original Shrew 54") It was a great Bow for Me... hit where I was looking, felt great in the hand. It is well worth the wait.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I have only shot them up close at indoor areas like the Kzoo expo so no longer range shooting to see how they really shoot, but for me they were very accurate at short range.  I had to shoot at different spots to not trash arrows at the 10 or 12 yd. rage distance because it was slapping them together one after the other every time I shot them.  They hung with the widows and Tall Tines for me and those bows out shots everything else I tried.  Arrow set-up and bow tune is a variable in those situations so who knows what some other bows may have done if well tuned with the right arrow, but if I can take a guess at an arrow and shoot a short light bow like a Shrew as well as a TD Widow with no negative feedback to my hands or fingers that says something to me.  I loved the carbon foam combo on the CH.  I was really hoping to shoot another 58” CH at Compton at some longer distance so that is disappointing.  Anyway I have 10 months to go on the wait for a Shrew.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
To anybody that will be at Comptons.  I will be there with a few of my Shrews.  You are more than welcome to shoot any of them you would like.  I have owned a Tomahawk and they are well put together and shoot very nice.  But for me nothing beats the Shrew grip.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Like every other bow, some like them, some don't.  Some people think your Tomahawk is the best bow yet.

The only way to know is to try one out and see how it feels to you.

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
I like longer bows.  Nothing short of 62" and prefer 64".  I shot a Shrew the other day and it made a believer out of me. Even at near 30" draw, it was smooth and quick.  Didn't think it was possible. I would have to consider it if I was in need of a short "blind" bow. I liked it that much.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
I had a 60" Scout that was a great bow.I hate low wrist grips and even I liked the grip...
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Theres a couple used ones in the classifieds right now at a pretty good price. Beats waiting a year and a half. And if you like it you can still order a new one and still shoot one while your waiting.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
I have a friend with a Shrew, and it shoots fantastic. Just can't make my eye like the forward grip riser even though I know how well they shoot - personnal preference.

Sorry, have never even seen a Tomahawk.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
While very forgiving, repeatable, and smooth on the draw, my shrew does seem to shoot the arrows lower to point of aim than my other bows.
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
I shoot my Shrew Lil Favorite recurve better (an more naturaly) than any bow I have ever shot.

Come to Compton, there will probably be 100 diffeent Shrews there to shoot, I will have 4 myself.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
This will be the first time since the very first Compton Rendezvous that we haven't had a booth there. We have a list of bow orders from folks that have been waiting patiently so I thought it best to keep our nose to the grindstone for them rather than take the time to build bows for the show.

Having said that I should have a couple bows to bring along if someone wants to try one out on the practice range.

See you there...   :wavey:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
I think your Tomahawk is a fine fine bow.  A Shrew is also. You are splitting hairs looking for a difference.  Both are great, just boils down to hoew it fees in the hand and your finances.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Like Roger said, Shrews are very easy to shoot well. The grip is hard not to love.

Kinda like a shotgun or rifle that realy fits you, you just draw it up and its right there.

Eric

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Shrews are great bows!  I don't think I have shot a Tomahawk so I can't compare.  

As for those who hate to wait on bows...you just not working the system right!  LOL  I ordered Tom's as a surprise and did not plan to tell him about it but about two months before delivery he was wanting to buy a used one...off Tradgang!

So I said...Hon.........there's something I need to tell you...........he was thrilled.

We shot this afternoon and and kept swapping bows since they were both 55@28...

It's funny how I tend to shoot recurves best and he shoots longbows best...but it is still fun to swap and know we could shoot either in a hunting situation.  I was shooting my Zipper Extreme.

We are getting ready for the Police Olympics next week.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
At the last Solana Ranch Hunt a group of us were having a friendly contest to see who could be the first to hit a plastic pop bottle at 46 yards. There were some really good shooters in the group, but I managed to win with my 56" Shrew Classic Hunter. Shrews shoot very well at longer distances, as well as at shorter distances. That said, the shorter Shrews are hunting bows, not target bows. If you want a Shrew that is made for target shooting, get the Model-T.

I have never shot a Tomahawk.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
This will be the first time since the very first Compton Rendezvous that we haven't had a booth there. We have a list of bow orders from folks that have been waiting patiently so I thought it best to keep our nose to the grindstone for them rather than take the time to build bows for the show.

Having said that I should have a couple bows to bring along if someone wants to try one out on the practice range.

See you there...     :wavey:  
Being one of those patiently waiting folks, ok not really patiently, but clearly excitingly looking forward to having a fine Shrew bow in my bow hand some time this fall from Ron's team it does seem that yes the wait is long but by the same token having a fine bow made just for you is worth waiting for. I am lucky enough to be finally able to actually have a custom bow built and I am really looking forward to spending many hours of what ever time I may be granted to walk in the woods/mountains/deserts with a quite smooth long bow as a traveling companion. Find one and shoot it, if you like it and can afford to buy it then by all means go for it, instant gratification is not all that it's cracked up to be anyway, good luck.
Regard’s,
Jim

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Everyone has their favorite bow and Shrew owners are as loyal as the next type of top of the line bow owner. I've shot a lot of bows and owned a lot of bows in the 40+ years I've been shooting traditional.  When you first pick up a bow there's often a lot of excitement and adreneline, so it's hard to be discerning.  Ideally, if you want to try a bow, you'd take some warm up shots on a practice range and then go out onto a 3D course to run it through the paces.  

I simply enjoy shooting my Shrews. They're quiet, handy, above average performers, accurate and the grip is ALWAYS the same. This makes for a perfect hunting bow in my opinion and that's what it's all about for me.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to shoot a Shrew under a relaxed setting. If I didn't want to wait, I'd watch the classified ad's here and be ready. You'll eventually see something close to what you are looking for in weight/length, but it'll take 3-5 months of diligent watching and a quick response.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©