3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional Shoot?  (Read 511 times)

Offline Rodd Szmania

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional Shoot?
« on: June 10, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Last Saturday I went to a traditional shoot at Bucktrail Bowhunters in Burlington, WI. Upon our arrival we were told compounds and range finders were allowed. Has anyone else had this experience at a so called traditional shoot? All the guys I went with said they would not have attended had they known.
Thanks!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional Shoot?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
No, never had that happen at a traditional shoot before that I have ever attended.  Although, I have been to many where traditional are welcome with everyone else, and those items are allowed and standard.  I no longer go to them.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Interesting that a trad club allowed compounds and range finders at a trad shoot.  Was is advertised as a traditional shoot?  I enjoy pure trad shoots for the comraderie and shooting with similar minded folks.  I also attend the mixed shoots a lot since I shoot 3D for practice and not competition.  Were the targets all at trad hunting ranges?
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Interesting twist.  Was it a fun shoot or competative?  Seeing that I have never kept a score, I really don't care who shows up, though if it was advertised as traditional only, I'd be less than happy.  Many of my friends shoot wheels, and we try to do shoots together.

Our own club is struggling with its financial situation, and I know the leadership is pressuring the financially successful traditional shoot to open its invitation to wheels - that is not going over well....

sign of the times - unfortunately   :rolleyes:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
If it is advertised as a Trad. shoot, it should be Traditional only.
Our local shoots here are open to all, and the vast majority or the compound guys are considerate, and let us shoot through.
We still have clubs that ignore traditional shooters, but they will take your money.
Ken Thornhill

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Here where I live compounds are the predominate bow shot. When I shoot 3D I have shot with the round wheels boys and find them to be just like us not a different species. I don't keep score or worry who shoots what,I am there for my enjoyment,period. Round wheels or trad who cares, we are archers.  :archer:

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
our trad club wont let you use a elevated rest or stabilizer....and we keep getting more and more shooters
if we are not suppose to eat animals,then why are they made of meat

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
oh ya and no binoculars

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by cbCrow:
Here where I live compounds are the predominate bow shot. When I shoot 3D I have shot with the round wheels boys and find them to be just like us not a different species. I don't keep score or worry who shoots what,I am there for my enjoyment,period. Round wheels or trad who cares, we are archers.   :archer:  
Well said.  I tend to think that division among hunters because of equipment preferences only stands to hurt our past time, not promote it further.  I am a new convert to "traditional bowhunting" but don't have an issue with people that shoot what they like.  I don't like the elitism that is out there on both sides of the fence, modern or traditional.  I will shoot with anyone regardless of their chosen gear as long as they are fun to be around.  If the shoot is labeled a tradional shoot and for competion then the use of rangefinders and compounds with sights is an obvious advantage and shouldn't be allowed but if you are just there to shoot and have fun, who cares if the guy next to you is shooting a compound.  Just shoot your bow and let them shoot theirs and have fun.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
A local club here had advertised a "Traditional Shoot." After showing up, we were told that they were not going to turn away members shooting compounds. The shoot was fine, but a little disappointing. We probably would have gone to the shoot anyways but, the shoot was not as advertised. I still don't know why it was marketed as traditional as it was no different than any other of their shoots.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Maybe someone could not finish drawing a line in the sand......You either stand for something or stand for all...thrive or die by it.......club probably needed the $$$...
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Rodd Szmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
My point is if you are allowing wheels and aids, please do not call it a traditional shoot. Call it an open shoot. I do enjoy open shoots also, but I know what to expect. I have a lot of friends who shoot compounds and I like shooting with them at times. Wheels generally take a lot longer to shoot. This club just did it for the Bottom line$$$$$$$$$$$$$  May end up costing them in the long run.
REGARDS

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I certainly see Rodd's point.It was interesting to see everyone's feedback though.Is'nt it funny how at these shoots you never see trad shooters get frustrated,when allowed binoculars they opt out because it's not the contest that lures most of them.It's like minded folks who live for outdoors and stick and string simplicity.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Most of the local clubs in this area have ceased to function due to the economy, but when they did, I was often the only traditional shooter on the range. My experience wasn't quite the same as some of you seem to have had. Often, these guys snatched my bow away and wanted to shoot it. A couple even took up the trad bow.

Yeah, its a disappointment, perhaps, if it was originally supposed to trad only, but in the final analysis... quit bitchin' and just shoot your bow!
Sam

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Ha this again!

Shouldn't we try to support the dying "sport","pastime" or "means one putting pork on the table" of archery.  I understand you were dissapointed that the shoot wasn't quite as advertised but heck few things theses days ever are.

Places are doing what they can to survive and yet people find ways to put them down while they are already lying on their backs, kicking for dear life.

I understand choosing not to shoot somewhere because they treat you like dirt, but not shooting somewhere because they are accepting of others?  C'mon! Really?

Crap! That's why I thought traditional archery was great! You people here are Top Notch and are nice to everyone who deserves it. I love this place, but without wheels, wouldn't it be just Archery? We wouldn't be any less special, just more common!  

Can't we acknowledge everyone serves a purpose? Cant we move past pettiness and promote "archery"?  Why waste time complaining about things that really dont matter? Why not give praise where it's deserved?

Thank you all Trad Gangers who helped the Mods sort through the auctions    :thumbsup:      :notworthy:     Awesome!!!

I had a bad day at work can ya tell? Getting off the box now!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by stevemfwills:
our trad club wont let you use a elevated rest or stabilizer....and we keep getting more and more shooters
So your club would not let me shoot my hunting recurve? And you would not let Paul Schafer shoot if he was still with us?

Can't see the positive here at all.

Offline stevemfwills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
sorry about the rest we do allow rest my appolagies...thats my bad not the clubs i am so dumb sometimes

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Most often when there is a Traditional only shoot here locally it is held on Sat and then all bows welcome on Sun.  If not a two day shoot then if it says Traditional, it means Traditional. Nothing against wheels.  Nothing against our friends who shoot them.  Simply put, the course is reserved for someone else on this particular day.  Thats all.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Rodd, you should have made the drive to Chippewa Falls. That was a great shoot. No wheels there. Good course, good food, and GREAT company.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
The problem with the open shoots here in the North East is that they are so crowded. I really don't want to stand behind a group that is taking 15 minutes each target to shoot. If it is not crowded then I don't mind.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©