3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Abowyer broadheads  (Read 506 times)

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
Abowyer broadheads
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Just wondering how many of you use them I am wanting to try them but I can decide if the aluminum adapters will be strong enough or just go ahead and spend another 20.00 bucks for the titanium adapters. That will put them at about 80.00 for three with adapters installed and shipped just looking for some feedback.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Abowyer broadheads
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I use the Brown Bear with steel adapters from 3 Rivers. I load up the front for a EFOC (350 grains up front). They penetrate great in my target. I started using them late last year and haven't shot a game animal with them, but I am sure I wouldn't want to get hit by them. I am shooting a 680 grain arrow in the 190s. I think I will have to measure how far in the ground they stick after a pass thorugh. I really like the design and quality of the heads.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I used the 145 Boneheads on 75 steel adapters for 220 up front. A 620 grain arrow out of my 51 pound bow, I shot an Antelope out west 17 yards quartering away, hit him behind the last rib, took out pretty much everything and upon full pass through the arrow cut the front leg bone almost in half! My 'Lope dropped in 47 yards and the blood trail was quite amazing..
I sharpened them on a KME..a quick touch up and i'm still hunting with the head.  They are top notch in my book!

Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
I've used the 180gr. Wapiti head with 45 gr. aluminum adpt. for 225 gr. up front.  This gives me a 620gr. arrow with about a 24 FOC. Out of a 52# recurve, Have shot 1 bear, 2 deer and 3 hogs with the heads all pass throughs  except one big hog, still penetrated oposite shoulder, great blood trails, great arrow flight, just a great head. I wouldn't pay the extra for titanium, they will all break if they hit just right. I would use aluminum or steel to get what weight I wanted up front and forget about the titanium.  Just my 2 cents.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
I use the 175gr Brown Bear head with a 100gr steel adapter.  This with my 100 gr brass insert gives me a wopping 375 gr up front on my arrows designed for our moose hunt in the fall.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Mike,
 What is your arrow and what the heck are you shooting poundage.does it drop straight down off the shelf?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
We are shooting GT BigGame 100s that weigh in at a solid 720 gr.  Shooting one of our EPIC 17" ILF risers and XL static curve limbs.  54# at my 30.5 draw.

Absolutely smokes the arrows out to 35 yds.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Mike, thats amazing
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 02:01:00 AM »
My buddy shoots Abowyers with a (700+gr) AD hammerheads out of a 55# long bow. He smoke a big doe last season. It is a well made serious BH.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
I started using them last year, I took an antelope using the Antelope model with great results. I plan on using the Brown Bear model on my elk hunt this fall. I am shooting them on cedar but have some steel adapters that I will try out with some carbon shafts.
 Good heads.
Mike

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Brown bear 175gr glue-ons on Surewood shafts for an arrow around 600grs is a beautiful thing!  Great flight. No blood yet!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks guys so no one would worry about the aluminum breaking I am sure it wouldnt I just like to go ahead and get the best I can I am shooting 225 up frot

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
I made the switch to Abowyer heads after I saw the damage and hole that head made to R.W Mackey's bear last spring. Great broadhead and easy to sharpen

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Brian, just go with the alum. adapeter. It'll do fine for ya. Lets shoot togather at sissipaw in Aug. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I shot diagonally through a 3 1/2 year old, 180# White-tail buck with a 175 gr. Wapiti mounted on a 100 grain BH adaptor screwed into a 100 grain brass arrow insert in a 400 Carbon Express for a total arrow weight of 600 + gr. with 26% FOC shot from a 54# R/D longbow with devastating results.  I found my broadhead this spring sticking in the dirt where I lost it under the snow; the deer broke my arrow off stuck in the frozen ground, running over it.  I tracked this buck by seeing the blood trail in the snow 15 yds. ahead of me, for a total of 120 yds traveled.  I now have that same Wapiti sharpened and a ready to go for this fall.  Awesome broadheads...I too have pondered the titanium adaptors, but will probably use the steel adaptors for strength, value and weight forward attributes.  I am a huge fan of high and extreme FOC hunting arrows!  You couldn't go wrong shooting an Abowyer, worth every penny!

Kris

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
I just ordered some glue on Brown Bears with 75 grain steel inserts from Abowyer.  I love the heads but am a little worried by the sloppy fit on the adapter.  Any one else have this problem.  Is it the head or the adapter?  I was thinking of ordering 3 rivers "premium" steel inserts to see if it helped or calling Abowyer.  Suggestions?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
As far as Aluminum Adapters.....

The KEY to them being durable is having them screwed on tight!!!

I've bent a few over the years, mostly on judos cause I get lazy and don't check to see if they are tight after every shot. What causes any adapter post to bend, and yep I've bent steel ones, is not having them on tight and the gap between the base of the adapter and the end of the shaft becomes the weakest link.

I try and use plumbers tape on all my judos and that seems to work pretty good at keeping the from working loose on repetitive shots. I do have some hog heads that are locked down tight with epoxy just for good measure. But, my Bheads don't usually work loose as I'm not shooting my sharpened ones a lot at targets and I check them before every hunt. (I still would and do IF I use steel adapters)

Aluminum adapters have also served me well for 2 and a half decades.....and I have them on most all my arrows. Only a half dozen have steel adapters, and I save them for special occasions and don't use them often. I've killed most of my hogs with aluminum, only two with the steel, and all the rest of the animals I've all killed with aluminum including a 2000# bison.

So, I don't worry about aluminum adapters at all. I think after all I've killed with them(angled shots-busted ribs and all), and all the target and judo shots I've taken, I'd know if they were a real problem.

Just make sure you get them screwed down tight and you shouldn't have a problem. I never have in that case.

As far as the adapters fitting sloppy....I have mounted a few abowyers,....and they all seated true.

Those titaniums are too small for the Abowyer line...I do know that.  I bought some as well not realizing it.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Terry is right on the money with this one.  I also believe this is why adapters don't work well for me with the "Hidden Insert Technology".  The base of the adapter rests on the shaft itself which is not strong enough to support the head, causing arrow failure and the adapter to bend.  A bent adapter leads to a wobbly head which doesn't perform like it should.  Then the broadhead is blamed for not doing the job it is designed to do.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
I've been shooting some 145 boneheads and I like them. Last season I shot straight over a deers back with extreme precision.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by bigbadjon:
I've been shooting some 145 boneheads and I like them. Last season I shot straight over a deers back with extreme precision.
:biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©