3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: End Serving for Endless Skinny Strings?  (Read 167 times)

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
End Serving for Endless Skinny Strings?
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Based on what I've read here I am going to build a string jig to make some skinny strings out of 452x material.  What do I need to know about servings?  Looks like all end servings are rather small 0.017", can you use thicker center serving for the ends?  I plan to pad the loops anyway but thicker serving would help.  

Can you use string material as a serving (wrapping it on the string) and then top with end serving?

I plan to use halo for the center serving, but which serving type/brand works best for the ends?

Also any advice on a cheaper serving tool?  

Thanks!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: End Serving for Endless Skinny Strings?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
I have used 1D serving .019 for end servings on endless loop FF type strings,can't remember if it was BCY or Brownell.I use nylon .021 serving on dacron endless or you can use it on FF type strings also.An inexpensive serving tool is Bohning makes a decent tool for $10-12.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Mat, #4 nylon works just fine! You can lay in extra strands of material to build up, or double serve.

You can use the Halo for end serving, your money, but not necessary.

As for serving tools, cheaper then what? Invest in a good one, last for years. You can also make one. Do a search here for the topic.

Have fun winding strings! A great part of the Sport!

Steve

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
I like Halo myself. Wears like iron. I know a place where I can get it delivered for less than $18 a spool for .19
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Yes, Halo is tough, Dave! Though it will probably out last the string!

$18.00 verses $4.00, like said your money!  :bigsmyl:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
For the money a bow costs I consider it cheap insurance.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
BCY has servings they reccomend for end serving, but I've had equally good results with Halo, 62XS, and nylon.  If there are no rough or sharp spots, there should be little wear on the loop serving.  On the other hand, you get a lot of servings from one spool so it's not a big investment per string.

Thick serving on a tiny string is apt to slip.  Rod Jenkins experimented with padding the loops on an endless string, and he found that over time the padding is worked to the back of the loop and isn't doing anything.  I think he used white for the string, red for the padding, and clear mono for the serving to see what happened.

I'm not "into" super skinny strings, but if I were I guess I'd just double serve the loops to build them up.

The best serving tool I've used to date is the Cajun--less than $15, and I'm still using some of the ones I started out with many years (and thousands of strings) ago.  I have a different serving tool for each different spool of serving--near 50, I think.  It's convenient to not have to swap them out every time you need to change serving colors, types, or sizes.  I modify mine by adding a longer bolt and some fender washers for added weight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©